Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 16:37   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Packards in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There are in all 3 Packards photographed in front of the Gateway of India.
This is the photo with Miss Rosie, also known as Rose, she was a reknown actress in the 1930's. But nothing is known about her fate,

Cheers harit
Harit you're right can't find a thing about Ms Rose. Anyway this I think is the third Packard photographed at the Gateway of IndiaPackards in India-ad2170-gwi.jpg
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 17:00   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are in all 3 Packards photographed in front of the Gateway of India.
This is the photo with Miss Rosie, also known as Rose, she was a reknown actress in the 1930's. But nothing is known about her fate, you google and come back to posts on this thread. Anyone having Film India magazines of that time published by Baburao Patel will find plenty on her.

Cheers harit
There is a program on History channel Bollywood @100. They did talked about this actress and how she being foreigner was replaced by Indian women, when they started appearing. There was a short 30 sec camera interview of her too.
Old 6th May 2013, 17:24   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
There is a program on History channel Bollywood @100. They did talked about this actress and how she being foreigner was replaced by Indian women, when they started appearing. There was a short 30 sec camera interview of her too.
Manishbhai, this Miss Rosie was very much Indian, probably an East Indian (Nigel could elaborate here). At her time there there were other ladies too, Sabita Devi, Sulochana, etc. Strangely, in those times most actresses came from other communities but took Hindu names.

Strange is that Packard selected an actress for an ad, very unusual. The ad was released by Dhadajee Dhackjee, using this very photo.

Cheers harit
Old 6th May 2013, 19:53   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

If I remember right the same image was touched up and used as the cover of an old telephone directory, advertising air conditioning. The back ground was Dadajee Dhackjee.
Old 6th May 2013, 23:07   #230
BHPian

Before the mods shut this down as off-topic :

Rose Ezra, Sulochana (Ruby Myers), Nadira and others were from Indian families of Jewish origin. In the 1920s, female actors were is short supply, since most traditional families frowned upon their female members acting in movies.

In fact, many of the early silent films had male actors dressed up as ladies, essaying the role of female characters !

The Jewish families settled in India had a more liberal view of things, and this led to the dominance of female Jewish actors in the early years of the silent era.

No idea on the eventual fate of Rose, but apparently her grandchildren are still involved in present day Bollywood in some capacity.

I guess we should go back on topic now
thebulletboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 08:32   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I also believe there was some litigation as the cars are a part of a trust and some people in the family wanted them out of the trust control I think. Eventually they remained in the trust. All this is information I read in media a few years ago.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Punjab...1-1099858.aspx
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 11:02   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Factoring in appeals and all that maybe in another 20 years the cars might see the light of day
Old 20th August 2013, 22:31   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

A snail's eye view of the Faridkot Packard courtesy of The Hindu

Packards in India-faridkot-packard.jpg
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 14:02   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
A snail's eye view of the Faridkot Packard courtesy of The Hindu

Attachment 1127385
Travancore,

Post 184 shows both beauties side by side

Recently it seems as if one of the daughters proved in court that the will leaving the cars and much else to the trust in control of certain family members and staff was in fact forged.

Now the judgement is likely to be appealed against.

Till the family sorts this issue of the last will of the late Maharaja, the cars, like everything else , will remain in limbo, the bright side of course being that everything is as it was, so to that extent, history is preserved.
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

This bathtub seems to have been an official car in Burma, as this photo came with a lot of snaps of Burma.
This is a model of Packard which really stood out, and I like it very much. A favourite for me.
May have been a government car, with the car passing by and the cops on VIP Bandobast. That seems to be a real ancient and pointless tradition of our region.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-tbhp-packard-1948-convertible.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 2nd September 2013 at 18:51.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 14:57   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Another Clipper in Hyderabad (?).

Attachment 111194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Am not aware if this car remains here. Any ideas?
Another Clipper I am seeing for the first time, appeared in the recent Bombay rally. It is probably the same car I had posted years ago.

Packards in India-packard06.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:56   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This bathtub seems to have been an official car in Burma, as this photo came with a lot of snaps of Burma.
This car (or a similar one) is also seen in State events in Delhi in period footage.

Here is a 46/47 Clipper ripe for restoration

Packards in India-555.jpg

http://iaininindia.wordpress.com/200...ge-car-lovers/

The car and setting bears such a striking resemblance to the project Vintageman has shared here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...storation.html ('Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration)
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:01   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The car and setting bears such a striking resemblance to the project Vintageman has shared here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...storation.html ('Ask The Man Who Owns One' - A Packard Restoration)
Hello Karl,

I think the clipper pictured above is a six cylinder car in Kolkata, presently ( when I got the last update) not for sale.

My car inching towards completion, expect to complete prior the coming winter. A current picture of the car :
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-20140602_182037-medium.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 21:19   #239
BHPian

Seems like reg no DLC 383 in shown in BHP archives, and should be a 1929-39 740 or 745 tourer, straight 8 cylinder, called super eight with detroit lubricator type 51 carburetor. Bonnet vent doors in place of Louvres, large head lights with crown etc. and side lights on fenders instead of cowl, being the distinguishing features of 7 series from series 6. The 45's are longer wheel base than 40's. Metal side mount covers also seldom seen on earlier cars.
shyml is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 10:14   #240

Re: Classic Rolls Royce's in India

I only have a photograph of the Packard that you mention, BWP 120 body No. 186534, engine No. 182381.This was one of a number of pardah cars with dark tinted glass. There were two more Packards, from roughly the same period, in the Bahawalpur garage and hopefully I will come up with images of them and the V16.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-image1709.jpg  

F Abbasi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks