Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 13:09   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Below that is a 1934 Packard still as is. She came from a state in MP.
Harit this is a 120 either '35 or '36. If this is a 4 door convertible then its a 1936 like Vintageman's car. If a coupe could be a '35 like the Gondal car or even a 36 coupe. Its definitely not a '34

Quote:
AAU 8188 has fallen further into disrepair
Where is this car now?

Quote:
There is a 7 seater Limo 1939 in excellent condition with Khoday collection. Can somebody post a pic?[/
I have one of it somewhere. Its a 1939 Super Eight Touring Limo, body no 1270 if without partition then its a Touring Sedan, body no 1271. Its on a massive 148 in wb

Last edited by DKG : 14th March 2009 at 13:15.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:21   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Nitin bhai's Clipper looks awesome. Beautiful car, so stylish, chic

Harit is there a slight gap between the headlight lens and the chrome bezels on your 41 convertible? or is it the angle in the picture giving me that impression?

Last edited by DKG : 14th March 2009 at 19:33.
Old 14th March 2009, 22:11   #33
BHPian

I think this is vintagemans Packard nearing completion. What is the current status?

Attachment 111178

Hello DKG ,

Its been status quo for the Packard , in my prolonged absence , the restoration schedules went a bit haywire , presently trying to get things back on track.

Harit ,

The Plymouth is an ex Balrampur car . I think presently this is the only 1934 Plymouth in UP , there is a 1936 Plymouth in terrible shape with a mechanic in Lakhimpur ( UP ) .
Old 14th March 2009, 22:25   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello DKG ,

Its been status quo for the Packard , in my prolonged absence , the restoration schedules went a bit haywire , presently trying to get things back on track.
The car will look gorgeous when done. The 36/37 120's are very pretty convertible sedans.

Would you know of any more Packards missed out here?

Last edited by DKG : 14th March 2009 at 22:26.
Old 15th March 2009, 00:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

hey dkg, where was the body work done on the 1938 packard posted by you in the first page?
Old 15th March 2009, 00:58   #36
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is in keeping with the discussions here, but everytime a Packard in India is mentioned I can't help but remember a Packard Clipper, obviously of the late 40s, seen often in Hindi movies. White in colour; and possibly a chopped coupe? Red upholstery. Looked tired, progressively by the year of the film, and often the ride of the bad guys (!) but a Packard nonetheless!

Off topic again, but I'm sure you Packard aficianados came across the original Packard factory door that was up for auction in the US a year, or was it two, back? I tried looking for it now, but couldn't find it, sorry.

Also had a newspaper clipping (yeah, no aliteration with Clipper!) of an advert in India, showing a Packard owner quipping, during the days of petrol rationing of WWII when an inspector asks him how he was driving around at the time of rationing, (quoting, I believe, an old Packard tag-line), "But Sir, a Packard runs on reputation!" Gotta look for it next time I'm in Cal, or maybe in Poona.

Last edited by Prabal : 15th March 2009 at 01:03. Reason: did a google search to no avail!
Old 15th March 2009, 01:08   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I'm not sure if this is in keeping with the discussions here, but everytime a Packard in India is mentioned I can't help but remember a Packard Clipper, obviously of the late 40s, seen often in Hindi movies. White in colour; and possibly a chopped coupe? Red upholstery. Looked tired, progressively by the year of the film, and often the ride of the bad guys (!) but a Packard nonetheless!
I do remember something like that, but for some reason I remember the car in a scene where it runs with nobody behind the wheel. Something late, like the 'goat'.
Old 15th March 2009, 09:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The car will look gorgeous when done. The 36/37 120's are very pretty convertible sedans.

Would you know of any more Packards missed out here?

There is a local Clipper in Lucknow , been with the same family since new - tha car was last seen on road in the 70's , but it still remains in Lucknow for sure.

Nobody is sure what is there with Mahmoodabad after the Minerva , a Mercury I have seen and a strong local local rumour that a Packard V 12 remains locked up.

The car in the photograph below was sold recently in Varanasi , while I was away -

And another one to sadden all vintage lovers -
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-packard.jpg  

Packards in India-packard-2-.jpg  

Old 15th March 2009, 12:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

DKG.

How about posting snaps of the NTR Packard. Also the Pittie and Rashid Bhai's cars.

What happened to the clipper with the BE guys.

Also we need snaps of the V12 you mentioned in Delhi and the Packards with Mallya.

We need pictures of all the Packards with Mr. Harith and the Ravi Prakash Packards.

Packards were a very popular car in India and I am sure more will be added to this thread.

Lets strive to make this the definitive tread for Packards in India.

PS We need to start a thread on the Horch cars that came to India and those that remain. Your uncle used to talk of the Paigah car, any pictures available.
Old 15th March 2009, 21:42   #40
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
DKG.

How about posting snaps of the NTR Packard. Also the Pittie and Rashid Bhai's cars.
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get to see the NTR Packard again and Rashid bhai seems to have sealed up the cars only too well to bother opening the garages, atleast I haven't had much luck.

The Pitties as you may know are very shy and barely ever wishing to be in the limelight. Out of respect for their privacy I can't post pictures. I did get the car started and cleaned up the brakes and drove it around Banjara Hills a couple of times. It remains a fine car.

Quote:
What happened to the clipper with the BE guys.
The car was originally bought by Raja Appa Rao (I think of Jagaihpetta) Its a standard eight. I haven't seen the car, except in pictures, but some fancy accessories may have been added. The BE people never bring their cars out. They have a charming RR 20HP too apart from a few other marques

BTW The Shah Alam family too have a 1948 Packard Eight

Quote:
Also we need snaps of the V12 you mentioned in Delhi and the Packards with Mallya.
I've never seen pictures of the V12, but too many people have confirmed its existence. The car was ex Nabha. There apparently was some ownership dispute.

I have a picture of Mallya's Twin Six will scan and post it someday. Interestingly the car came from Hyderabad I am told.

Quote:
We need pictures of all the Packards with Mr. Harith and the Ravi Prakash Packards.
I am wondering when the good sir will indulge us

Quote:
PS We need to start a thread on the Horch cars that came to India and those that remain. Your uncle used to talk of the Paigah car, any pictures available
Raja Dhanrajgir too had a Horch in his Poona residence. When someone was entrusted with spring cleaning of the house they promptly sold this and a Cadillac tourer to the breakers for some Rs 200. Dad tells me the cars were in immaculate shape when they went down.

I have a picture of the cars, will post that someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
There is a local Clipper in Lucknow , been with the same family since new - tha car was last seen on road in the 70's , but it still remains in Lucknow for sure.
Its so wonderful to hear of families still retaining cars over such a long time.

Quote:
Nobody is sure what is there with Mahmoodabad after the Minerva , a Mercury I have seen and a strong local local rumour that a Packard V 12 remains locked up.
I once heard of a V12 coupe. Wonder if its the same rumour.

Quote:
The car in the photograph below was sold recently in Varanasi , while I was away -
A 1939 Packard 120 Convertible Sedan, body no 1297. The owner may have been a fan of the 41 Packards to have wanted to cut holes in the fenders and install the additional lamps. I had seen pictures of this car prior to being painted silver. I think it was a brown or possibly in redoxide

Quote:
And another one to sadden all vintage lovers -
How sad. Hope someone still saves the chassis and what's left of the suspension
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey dkg, where was the body work done on the 1938 packard posted by you in the first page?
A father and son duo at Toli Chowki, they did a great job considering the extensive work done
Old 16th March 2009, 03:26   #41
BHPian

Hi DKG,

Very interesting Packard thread, please add your family elder's experience
with Packards if possible.

I am also eager to see all the Packards came to Hyd and all over India. I have a newspapers clip of Alam family cars. Alam family also have wonderful Plymouth grey colour convertible, which I remember from my school days. Please find below:

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-alam1.jpg  

Old 16th March 2009, 08:34   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I am also eager to see all the Packards came to Hyd and all over India. I have a newspapers clip of Alam family cars. Alam family also have wonderful Plymouth grey colour convertible, which I remember from my school days. Please find below:
OT: I remember that APX 1950 had made an appearance at the HAIG rally. She was painted cream and green though.

Also appeared another lovely Buick 8, APO 1.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

I had forgotten about the Shah Alam Packard.

Do they still have the car.

Their Plymouth had been finished in a powder blue colour last I saw it.Looked stunning.

I remember seeing the Pittie Packard one day on the Road No.1, followed it all the way to Prem Parbat, where it stopped for teh gate to open. Stunning car in great condition

The BE Packard was quiet jazzed up with those horns and the red paint but still a good original car.

What about the other gray late 20's Packard that used to be entered in various events, rather down on it heel. Car was almost identical to the Pestonji cream Packard.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:53   #44
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I had forgotten about the Shah Alam Packard. Do they still have the car.
Yes they do. Another original in a family since new !

Quote:
I remember seeing the Pittie Packard one day on the Road No.1, followed it all the way to Prem Parbat, where it stopped for teh gate to open. Stunning car in great condition
I kept pestering the owner to get her out as she had been unused for years. Finally he agreed on condition I do the honours, which meant a whole load of Sundays spent cleaning the tank, the fuel pump, the carb, wheel cylinders and finally took the beauty out on several drives including a wash service at a location station.

You should have seen the sight. I used to go over on Sundays often in either of my Packards with all the tools and work on the car. Ever heard of a home visiting mechanic who came in a Packard to service another Packard?

I guess when you are deeply fond of cars you go that extra mile for fellow enthusiasts ! Now its come down to if I don't make the effort no one will start her again ! The family is known to us for generations and the owner's sons are pals from childhood so I do it with pleasure, and for the love of Packards

Quote:
What about the other gray late 20's Packard that used to be entered in various events, rather down on it heel. Car was almost identical to the Pestonji cream Packard
Wasif they are both the same lovely car !
Old 16th March 2009, 11:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I am pleased to inform all that this car is very much alive and now in safe hand. She is a genuine convertible, and royalty was the first owner. She was lying at Juhu near the Bandh along with a 54 Dodge convertible. Both cars were saved. This Packard has had its tin-work done. And she was right hand drive!

BTW, there is another Indian early Packard on the prewarcar.com site

Last edited by harit : 16th March 2009 at 11:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks