Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 23:12   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Precious car !! Its the V12 in these cars which inspired Enzo to develop his V12 for Ferrari. Those bumpers don't belong on this model

Someone vaguely mentioned this car may have come from Hyderabad !! Not sure though
And I heard that it came from an estate in Kerala. Can anyone ask Vijay? I believe that this is the oldest Packard in India. New headlights have been sourced.

Cheers harit
Old 28th October 2009, 10:14   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

I vaguely remember someone at the garage telling me it came from Pondicherry - a Governor's car or something of the sort. So I think its anyone's guess till we ask Mr. Mallya.
Old 1st November 2009, 10:38   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And I heard that it came from an estate in Kerala. Can anyone ask Vijay? I believe that this is the oldest Packard in India. New headlights have been sourced.

Cheers harit

Harit.

i will try "Vijay" is in Abu Dhabi these days with his F1 team.They didn't have a very good day yesterday in qualifying so i would think he was not in a friendly frame of mind.

Hope his cars do better today at the race.
Old 12th December 2009, 02:25   #124
BHPian

Hello ,

Another Clipper awaiting restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-packard-2.jpg  

Packards in India-dscf2446.jpg  

Packards in India-dscf2455.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2009, 09:59   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello ,

Welome back after a long time! Is this your Clipper? And has the earlier Packard been completed? Do share some pics. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2009, 18:12   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello ,

Hi there

Is this your car?Would love to see her restored.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vintageman,

I heard that you had picked up this car. Photos had done the rounds, with every broker adding his margin!
The nice part is that the car is an eight cylinder sedan. I am sure that you will manage the bonnet and minor missing parts. Congrats.
When the pictures of this car were mailed around, they also attached a picture of a 2 door coupe in red and white to show the car's potential.

Cheers harit
Old 15th December 2009, 19:20   #128
BHPian

Hello Harit ,

Wonderful the way the vintage grapevine works , I went along for the purchase and paid the actual owner directly - the broker ( in this case the person who found this car ) getting his due from me . Other than the missing bonnet and the clock , the car is in very good shape with most of the original paint still existing . The odometer reads 17,496 and the engine turns , the engine oil is as good as new , even though the car has been parked for nearly 35 years . Should be quite an easy restoration , will complete end 2010.

Further photographs when I return to Lucknow.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Welome back after a long time! Is this your Clipper? And has the earlier Packard been completed? Do share some pics. Thanks.

Hello Karl ,

It is good to be back , the earlier Packard work is stalled for want of instrumentation , trims and my absentation, hopefully more time available in the coming year to restart the work .

Regards

Last edited by v12 : 16th December 2009 at 01:14.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:49   #129
BHPian

Dkg,your dedication to packards is commendable. One question..Where do you manage to get 6 volt batteries?And do you rewire your cars with modern cables or do you have a source for the cloth covered ones?APX 110 has such a lovely history...And a beauty as well....Some people are born lucky...Others ... yours truly included.. can only drool
Old 18th December 2009, 13:50   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Dkg,your dedication to packards is commendable. One question..Where do you manage to get 6 volt batteries?And do you rewire your cars with modern cables or do you have a source for the cloth covered ones?APX 110 has such a lovely history...And a beauty as well....Some people are born lucky...Others ... yours truly included.. can only drool
Welcome to this forum Bulldogji.
It was about time. If you post pictures of your cars which you use everyday, then maybe people will stop posting when they see you and your cars on the road. You know, even blanking out registration numbers will not help to conceal known cars.. So we do come to know of your whereabouts.

Now on a serious note.
6 Volt Batteries are available, please inform technical specs (no of plates, size) and we could get it. Delivery should be max 2 weeks.
For wiring, you can use modern wiring and get a cloth cover woven over it and the varnished. You cannot see the difference, it looks authentic and is safe. Whe(r/n)ever (?) we meet, I could help you.
This may save you the freight from Hyderabad.

Cheers harit
Old 18th December 2009, 14:03   #131
BHPian

Hey Harit,Since when have I made any attempts to conceal my cars?Thanks for the battery info... And more JAB WE MEET.....And all credit to the gentleman who made the lazy bulldog FINALLY sign in
Old 18th December 2009, 14:32   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Harit,Since when have I made any attempts to conceal my cars?Thanks for the battery info... And more JAB WE MEET.....And all credit to the gentleman who made the lazy bulldog FINALLY sign in
The Bulldog is never lazy!!
Sorry, you did get my drift. You do NOT conceal your cars. On the contrary, they are very often seen on the road. What I meant was that in this way a track is being kept on you. The pun was about exposing your movements and whereabouts, which may not always be desired.
KAB WE MEET is upto you.

Cheers harit
Old 18th December 2009, 17:18   #133
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question..Where do you manage to get 6 volt batteries?And do you rewire your cars with modern cables or do you have a source for the cloth covered ones?
Bulldogji all these years we've had the batteries rebuilt in the old cases (small one). I still do

The last time APX 110 was rewired I was a kid and Dad had it done locally so unfortunately it has the usual modern stuff. But someday when I get around to doing a meticulous restoration of the car I will order a cloth wiring harness for her.

I am presently restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton and have ordered cloth wiring for it from the US.

Quote:
APX 110 has such a lovely history...And a beauty as well
Totally agree with you. I am sure you can relate to the sentiment when a car becomes family. APX 110 is such a car, more family than car. Too many fond memories of all of us using her over the past 4 decades

Last edited by DKG : 18th December 2009 at 17:20.
Old 19th December 2009, 10:38   #134
BHPian

Hey Harit,my movements and whereabouts are no secret and you are welcome to play detective..Jokes aside ..my apologies to you but just am constantly travelling these days..will surely call soon and meet up..Why not plan a team bhp meet?..No rally..No prizes..No politics..And thanks may take you up on the 6 volt battery offer

DKG,I am in complete agreement with your sentiments.. once a car ceases to be a mere mode of transportation she becomes an inseparable part of the family And at times when she is a little under the weather you become miserable till she purrs again.Would love to see your beauties when I am next in hyd..

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th December 2009 at 03:09. Reason: When typing please use spaces after punctuation and also try to avoid to many "..."s, in order to improve the readability of your posts. Thanks. :)
Old 19th December 2009, 14:38   #135
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would love to see your beauties when I am next in hyd..
It would indeed be a real pleasure to meet you someday. You must also visit the Chowmahalla Palace to see the Nizam's cars when here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks