Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-12.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-13-500.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-61-avon.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-65-chry-white-ubp.jpg  

Old 18th March 2009, 12:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
See Karl, every one praises this event and the ambience. The cars were all exceptional, but have been selected at least for condition. And no bikes, no Fiats, no...........
Yes Harit, I agree with you, absence of Fiats was sorely missed by me too, not just you

EDIT - surprise surprise, what do I see now? A Fiat 600! A car that you have owned in the past as well.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th March 2009 at 12:07.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I noticed the black S type MRD regd is present. The car was in a Pune collection for many years, car was in great shape, an older restoration. I have travelled to Lonavala in that car for an event, what a pleasure it was. (Returned in a 39 Buick convertible)

The green and white BMY regd Avon belongs/belonged to Nitin Dossa. She was red and black earlier, lying neglected, but intact. I think the rear coackwork was modified, looked quite ungainly. I think there is another similar blue car in Jaipur.

The early cream Humber should be quite a rarity. It was discussed earlier by Julian being featured in an old movie.

Dharampur 15 looks particularly elegant. Subtle, not over restored. I love it. Any more pics of that and the other Jags?

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th March 2009 at 12:45.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:50   #19
sat
BHPian

Gaj Singhji, Maharaja of Jodhpur arrives for the polo match. All the cars were driven around the polo field.

A few photographs of the spectacular chokhelao bagh at the Mehrangarh fort where the prize distribution took place, this was followed by dinner. The entire fort & gardens had been lit up, what a sight it was !!

I am told the next vintage car rally in Jodhpur is going to be held in December 2009.
Attached Thumbnails
Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-80-hh-jodh-arr.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-80-polo.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-81-polo.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-band.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-75-mehrangarh-fort-chokeleo-gds.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-77-choke-pav-gdns.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-76-phool-bagh.jpg  

Old 18th March 2009, 13:26   #20
BHPian

70 Mustang with white walls!!! :(
Old 18th March 2009, 13:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I noticed the black S type MRD regd is present. The car was in a Pune collection for many years, car was in great shape, an older restoration.

The green and white BMY regd Avon belongs/belonged to Nitin Dossa. I think there is another similar blue car in Jaipur.

The early cream Humber should be quite a rarity. It was discussed earlier by Julian being featured in an old movie.
While I have kicked the butt, MRD seems to have started smoking heavily now!

The Avon is quite a rarity and a 16HP on top of that. There's another one of these around?! EDIT: The bumpers on these probably need correcting, amongst maybe other things that I can't tell/see.

The white Chrysler (Windsor, 1951-52?) was featured in the recent blockbuster, Bhool Bhoolayia if I'm not mistaken.

Nice pix Sat, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Prabal : 18th March 2009 at 13:35.
Old 18th March 2009, 13:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Is the Black / Blue drophead convertible in pic 5/6/7 of post 16 a Sunbeam Talbot 10 ???

Also is it legal in India for cars form Royal Families to drive around on public roads with their pre independace licence plates as seen on Dharampur 15.

The royal titles were also banned by Mrs. Gandhi but now they seem be back in vogue again.Have the titles been restored ?
Old 18th March 2009, 13:55   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I see a silver (?) 47 Chrysler in the back of one of the pics. Any close ups of that car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
70 Mustang with white walls!!! :(
The car had those broad Firestones when she was in Pune as well, in bright yellow. Perhaps she could have gotten away with thin whitewalls, or even the red pinstripe.
Old 18th March 2009, 14:52   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi DKG

Is this actually the Sir Salar Jung Merc ? Is it a 320 ? I thought the red car with Dr. Ravi Prakash in Bangalore was the Salar Jung car.

You mentioned it was in Hyd till recently in storage. Could you tell us more as to where it was and with whome as I don't remember seeing or hearing of this car in all my years iin Hyderabad.

If this is the Salar Jung car then any idea whose is the red car with Dr Ravi Prakash.
As I said I don't remember the car's number, but I know Salar Jung's car was recently sold out of Hyd and went to Rajasthan, possibly Mr. Vikram Singh's collection.

This car after Salar Jung's use ended up with the Chaganlal (hope I got the name right) family who had a house on Station Road near Abids. The car was in a garage for several decades, just stored. I had seen the car with my father some 30 years back.

Just last year I saw it with Masood Rangwala of Yousuf and Co and was in his garage with some paint scraping done. He sold the car as is and I am delighted to see it restored so well.

Salar Jung's Jag is with a collector in Guntur.

Hyd had a couple more 6 cylinder Mercs. Doc's car may be one of those.

Just for your info a few cars seem to acquire plates along their life. There are some cars floating around India with APX plates when the car never ever came to Hyd.

Last edited by DKG : 18th March 2009 at 14:53.
Old 18th March 2009, 15:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks of teh clarification DKG.

The Chaganla family is the same as the Jewellery guys right, Mr. Shiv Charan was a close friend of my dad and he had lent us his Buick for my sisters wedding.

What model is the Merc ??

This Masood guy had some cars in a house off Ravindra Bharati whiche he had brought from some hill station. There was a big Dodge Brothers convertible, a Ford Model A and a Fiat.

What happened to these cars. The Dodge was very original withthose huge disc rims.
Old 18th March 2009, 15:39   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The Chaganla family is the same as the Jewellery guys right, Mr. Shiv Charan was a close friend of my dad and he had lent us his Buick for my sisters wedding.
The Chaganlals are a different family. Shivcharan and Kailashcharan are the two jeweller brothers with quite a few nice cars. The Buick with Shivcharan is the Janjira '39 roadmaster convertible

Quote:
What model is the Merc ??
Should be a 30's car. I know very little about Mercs

Quote:
This Masood guy had some cars in a house off Ravindra Bharati whiche he had brought from some hill station. There was a big Dodge Brothers convertible, a Ford Model A and a Fiat.

What happened to these cars. The Dodge was very original withthose huge disc rims
Remember Gopi hotel Wasif? That's the house where he had the cars. He's sold most of his cars now.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:19   #27
sat
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed the black S type MRD regd is present. The car was in a Pune collection for many years, car was in great shape, an older restoration. I have travelled to Lonavala in that car for an event, what a pleasure it was.
karl, I too took a ride in the jag S type MRD from jodhpur - khimsa - jodhpur (192km), loved the suspension thought we did have to keep an eye on the temperature gauge on our return specially throught traffic.

The Fiat 600 still has original upholstery.

Quote:
Is the Black drophead convertible in pic 5/6/7 of post 16 a Sunbeam Talbot 10 ???
wasif, that is a sunbeam talbot. Its not legal to drive around in India with pre independace licence plates as seen on Dharampur 15. Neither have the titles been restored though I have noticed most people, specially in rural India continue to address former royals with their titles, the govt does at times mention 'ex ruler of ...........' after the person name in documents/correspondence.

I happen to be on a photography trip in a remote area to hear that former royals (who are not in politics, lead a simple life) were going to visit some villages & a temple after decades, I was surprised to see how excited & thrilled most of the people were, they did lay out the red carpet. I know of several cases where hundred's of village folk still approach the former rulers to sort out problems which the govt does not address.
Attached Thumbnails
Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-65-chry-white-ubp.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-24-jag-mk-ii-8008.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-24-jag-mk-ii-w-side.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-24-aa-jag-mk-ii-side.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-85-interior.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-buick-eight.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-21-jag-mk-ii-fr-deo-.jpg  

Attached Images

sat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 17:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Remember Gopi hotel Wasif? That's the house where he had the cars. He's sold most of his cars now.[/quote]

I remember sneaking into the closed garage from in between the door and the wall to have a look at the Dodge.

Great patina and those drum headlights were awsome.

Such a dignified car.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:41   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Sat almost all the cars shown are in such fine shape. Congrats to the Jodhpur fraternity for maintaining them so well.
Old 13th June 2009, 10:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some more photos of the event forwarded to me by Siddharth 72 who owns the cream and black 1932 Humber Super Snipe.

I was suprised to see the Willys Jeepster, that is a real rarity, and a strange one at that.
Attached Thumbnails
Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0133_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0134_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0135_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0136_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0137_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0138_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0139_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0140_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0142_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0143_small.jpg  

Jodhpur vintage car rally -  March 2009-img_0144_small.jpg