Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 06:46   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Awesome pictures //M ! I wonder if there is anyone who is doing these projects around in Pune/ Mumbai. It would be really interesting to be a part of such a project.
This project was done in US, the body shell was sent out from India (to comply with RTO) and everything thing else brand new. Including the motor. This is true American style hot rod.

There are no dedicated shops in India doing that. But flip over to start of the thread, you will find some work from Indian guys as well.
Old 10th August 2015, 11:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hot Rods in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
This project was done in US, the body shell was sent out from India (to comply with RTO) and everything thing else brand new. Including the motor. This is true American style hot rod.
The project was done in Bombay. parts came from Abroad, which includes the Chassis, body, wheels, engine, gearbox, steering coloum and diffrentials.

Nothing was sent from India as you have mentioned.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 20:40   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The project was done in Bombay. parts came from Abroad, which includes the Chassis, body, wheels, engine, gearbox, steering coloum and diffrentials.

Nothing was sent from India as you have mentioned.
Sorry for the incorrect information. I stand corrected. I was told that this was sent all the way. Thanks for the correction. Now it is even more commendable that the whole work was done in India.
Old 11th August 2015, 11:22   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the incorrect information. I stand corrected. I was told that this was sent all the way. Thanks for the correction. Now it is even more commendable that the whole work was done in India.
The edit feature had expired. Its part Bombay and part Bangalore for building up the car.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 13:51   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The edit feature had expired. Its part Bombay and part Bangalore for building up the car.
Ok, was not aware of this. Do you have any before pictures of her.
Old 13th August 2015, 13:23   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, was not aware of this. Do you have any before pictures of her.
No i don't as it was a private place the owner even though a friend, did not permit to take any pictures.
Old 12th January 2016, 17:33   #142
BHPian

Like many fellow Team BHP-ians on this forum, I too dreamed of a custom job when I was in college. I always loved the shape and look of the Fiat 1100 Elegant (the one with the third eye), and thought it would be the ideal platform for a sleeper car - i.e., no external changes but plenty of mods under the skin and in the cabin.

My reasoning was (and continues to be) simple:
  1. the 1100 is still relatively easy to get a hold of, especially in the smaller towns;
  2. the Fiat brand has deep associations with Indian motorists, especially those of a certain vintage (all puns intended!); and
  3. finally, and perhaps most importantly, I just love the looks of the baby Fiat!

Also, given that the 1100 is not that old a model and that there are several serviceable cars still available, the purists are not likely to come after me with pitchforks screaming blue murder for having committed the "sacrilege" of "ruining" a classic car with a bigger engine and (God forbid!) air conditioning!

Anyway, I was wondering what goes into the process of choosing an engine for a sleeper car? For instance, for purely illogical and emotional reasons, I would ideally like to see another Fiat engine (the petrol T-Jet?) in my sleeper 1100. But how do I know if this is a good fit? Would the suspension and axles be able to take the weight? Would the body be structurally sound to take the speeds? Do I need to think about how the engine will mate with the differential? For that matter, do I need to change the differential? What about the transmission? And brakes?

***sigh*** This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the questions swirling around in my head are concerned...

Any help / guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. - I know there is "no replacement for displacement" but, before somebody suggests dropping an American V8 into the 1100, I'd like to point out that I want all parts in my sleeper car to be sourced in India from current stock so that spares and servicing are a breeze.

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 12th January 2016 at 17:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks