Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 10:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Go For it Godog.

Its time someone actually started to build the car that they have dreamed of.

If I was back in India I would probably look into getting a Fiat, dropping in the big petrol engine, say like the contessa, don't really know whats available these days in India,and take it from there.

Definitely on the to do list would be to lose the side chrome strips,head / tail lamp surrounds. A cool sound system inside with a radical new dash with individual round gauges spread out to cover the space till the glove box.

Paint would be deep black gloss with orange flames coming out of the hood and the front wheel arches.

The engine would have to get headers and the carbs would have to stick out a little maybe under a plexiglass scoop.

A nice set of rims maybe a couple of inches smaller than the stock rims wouldn't hurt.

What say ya all ????
Old 29th March 2009, 22:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
This old Standard had been restored and "enhanced" with the raised roof by one of India's oldest restorers and sometimes "customizer" Shashi Kanoria.

This lovely Jaguar SS1 started life out as a SS1 sedan in very poor condition so Shashi started to transform it into a SS1 tourer to match his other SS1 tourer. He sold it off many years ago as a shell with incomplete running gear no rad or lights or steering wheel. Partha bose picked it up a few years ago and continued the restoration as best he could into a very presentable car.

Don't know how one would classify this car but it is an interesting example.
I would dare say these are vintages, not rodded cars. Sometimes when the car is too much of a wreck, one can take certain liberties and build a nice authentic looking vintage/classic car. I believe this often happens in US particularly with muscles cars, there are many Shelby and General Lee replica's than actually built.
BTW, fancy a Maruti in the Vintage & classic car section
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:06   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I reckon this not-too-original Fiat 1100 would make an ideal candidate for a hotrod??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1245132-post1140.html
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Go For it Godog.

Its time someone actually started to build the car that they have dreamed of.
=============
A nice set of rims maybe a couple of inches smaller than the stock rims wouldn't hurt.

What say ya all ????

A junkyard stray, or a Used-car-market jugaad, or a "well-maintained-example"? What should the base car be?
I have a peculiar affinity for aging, rusting, disintegrating examples. I remember two Austins that had my heart aching. One used to lie idle in faridabad when I used to come here as a younger boy. One I saw a couple of years ago outside Jama Masjid (Delhi).
Cars like these. Its like they live. Maybe something like being un-dead. Maybe like the rest of us. Dying more each day.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd April 2009 at 22:50. Reason: Quoting large post
Old 5th April 2009, 11:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Come to think of it why not start with a Herald as a donor car. Some guys on this forum might want to kill me for suggesting this but the fact remains that with its body on chassis construction it is an ideal start point for a Rod.

What I would do is buy one, not necessarily in running condition, but with valid papers, ditch the body and try to get a sporty new open two door body fabricated. Something in the style of the

The rims would have to go in favour of the new bolt on spoke types found in India and the mudguards would be of the cycle type.

When it comes to the engine you will have two choices. The Herald engine has been known to respond to a massage. It would need a twin carb setup, electronic ignition and not to mention headers. You could go a bit advance if required with polished ports and a shaved head.

The second alternative would be to go in for a new donor powerplant form a larger car like maybe a 1.8 Contessa powerplant, the brakes would have to be beefed up though.

Open for comments / suggessions on this.

Wasif

The
Old 5th April 2009, 14:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I would do is buy one, not necessarily in running condition, but with valid papers,ditch the body and try to get a sporty new open two door body fabricated.
Uh, doesn't the original body itself give that kind of impression, even today??

So IMHO no need to ditch it for another kind of body.
Old 5th April 2009, 15:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Uh, doesn't the original body itself give that kind of impression, even today??

So IMHO no need to ditch it for another kind of body.
"hot Rod" does not necessarily mean a convertible (?)
The great thing about cars in question is they're RWD! you know what that means!

Headers and 1.8s? why constrict to just these?
Old 5th April 2009, 18:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Headers and 1.8 is just off the top of my mind for starters. You could go carzy on the engine mods alone.

What did you have in mind.

Stanher

Lets face it the Herald body may be nice, sports car feel with the bucket seats and the floor shift but the engine sucks.

Need something in there with power to lay rubber at your will.

Only thing of concern is the rear suspension of the Herald, will it hold and mange this extra power???
Old 5th April 2009, 18:35   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lets face it the Herald body may be nice, sports car feel with the bucket seats and the floor shift
Which is why I was wondering about t he need to change the body at all!

Still, if at all you're hell-bent on doing that, I'd like to have whatever you need to discard from the car that you could get!

Quote:
Only thing of concern is the rear suspension of the Herald, will it hold and mange this extra power???
No, you'll need to change the axle with such a bigger, more powerful engine. Otherwise the diff. will go.

Last edited by Stanher : 5th April 2009 at 18:37.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

This is all just an extension of our dreams. there is no car being chopped up as of now so you will have to be patient.

Be assured that as an when a Herald comes under the chopping block you can most definitely take whatever you want.

In the mean time lets us dream on about an Indian Rod.

I didn't want to hurt you feelings for these cars but the bodystyle leaves a lot to be desired to be considered for use on a Rod.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:46   #41
BHPian

Hay guys !

This is my Grand dads morris !

Hot Rods in India-16042008333kkk.jpg

And one day , i want her to become this !

Cheers !
Old 5th April 2009, 19:20   #42
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Dont know if I'l be making a fool of myself here, but how about an Ambassador for a hotrod project?
If I`m not mistaken, there is a black amby with a slightly lower roof made to look hot roddish. I dont know who did it. It was some car designer, a DC wannabe types.

IMHO the original beetle would be one car that could be made awesomely hot roddish in India
Old 14th May 2009, 09:13   #43
BHPian

I spent some time on the net to see what was happening in other countries in the world of hot rodding and found after the USA & Canada, South Africa was next.

Here are just a few of the South African Hot Rods for you reference. Looking forward to see what pops up here in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Rods in India-1242120030803131412mvc003s.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-1242120030803132434mvc013s.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-1242120040801132030mvc012s.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-1242120040801132036mvc013s.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-1242120040801104100mvc014s.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421cortina5.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421morris_10.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421fiat_best_non_american_2nd.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421cortina_9.jpg  

Attached Images

john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2009, 09:18   #44
BHPian

Here are a few more Hot Rods & Customs from South Africa where there are more similar cars to be found in India. FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Rods in India-12421jannie_best_non_american_.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421jannie_5.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421jannie_7.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421jannie_best_non_american.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421fiat1.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421anglia_13.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-12421anglia_12.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-1242120030803121526mvc012s.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-1242120030803123900mvc021s.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 14th May 2009 at 09:22. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO
john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2009, 09:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Definitely !!!

What have they done to the white / green Cortina. Looks bog standard from outside . Also is that a RR on its right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks