Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 20:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hot Rods in India

Hi All.

Just wanted to get a thread going on this very famous branch of the classic car hobby.

Hot Rods as the term suggests are hotted up versions of famous cars of the past like the 32 Ford.

Its surprising this has not caught on in India as yet.

There are so many old cars lying around that are beyond economical restoration so it will be a great idea to use their body and running gear, plonk in a nice modern "HOT" motor and get on with the business of having serious fun.

I have this unfinished 47 Jaguar lying in Hyderabad. Havent seen it in around six years. So instead of going ahead with restoring it which would take up a considerable amount of time and not to forget money I was thinking or using its grille, seats, chassis and running gear, dropping in a big petrol engine from a converted 280 S, plenty lying around in Hyd and creating an open top two door rod.

I can see myself laying rubber on the road tearing down the highways to Bangalore or Mumbai at the drop of a hat with the wind in my hair a grin on my face and with a suitably sweet young lady for company !!!!

Those lovely huge P 80 lamps flanking a shortened chrome Jag grille , exposed exhaust pipes and cycle mudguards on the wheels.

Any comments

On a serious note are there any rods in India or is anyone on this forum interested in discussing their creation ??
Old 25th March 2009, 21:37   #2
BHPian

Wasif: Thanks for creating this thread. Although I have very little knowledge about 4-wheelers, Im always interested in learning about them. I have always wondered why nobody discusses about this particular topic. Im sure there are many people here who would consider it a sin to do anything like this to a classic but then many of them cars are beyond retoration or probably in plenty. I hope the stalwarts here discuss more about on this topic, so guys like me can learn.
Old 25th March 2009, 21:57   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Fellow BHPian Xoticars has a car set aside for this project not to mention all the lowdown on creating one.

I was pestering a friend with a 50's Mercury which lost its engine to turn it into a hotrod. I would love to do one someday. I totally agree, instead of junking a car which has lost most of its original trim and mechanicals this is the perfect future for such cars
Old 25th March 2009, 23:22   #4

I remember a 50's Ford Truck somewhere on the Forum which would make the perfect car for such a project.
Old 25th March 2009, 23:32   #5
BHPian

Dont know if I'l be making a fool of myself here, but how about an Ambassador for a hotrod project?
Old 26th March 2009, 00:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

I;m trying to look for pictures, but I remember Team Cartel building a hotrod based on the baby hindustan(?). It was painted pearl white and maroon IIRC. They also have some videos of an incomplete Morris 8 & VW Beetle being built into hodrods on their youbtube page.
Old 26th March 2009, 00:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Wasif,

As far as I know there is no real hotrod running around in India. The xoticar project was to be based on a Ford A Tudor sedan. I believe it is still unbuilt, perhaps parts have been aquired. Another project is lying in Bangalore, it has gone through a few mosoons. maybe one day the car will rise.
The real problem is availability of parts for hot rodding. In Overhauling Mr. Foose can pick up the phone and order whatever his heart desires. Here we go and hunt for some V8 engine, we have to take whatever comes up, and then figure how to put all together so that the result is a working car. I would imagine that a restoration would be easier.
If I had a 1950's Mercury and all was well except for the engine, I would try to source a Ford/Mercury engine and get the car up. Much more painless than trying to hot rod her.
Hot rodding will also be painful when trying to make the car street legal. Today RTO has problems with modified specials like thos made by Dilip Chabria.
Personally, I feel that we are not ready for this. Or it will be very expensive. But please note, engineering talent for hot rodding is there in India.
Old 26th March 2009, 00:55   #8
BHPian

Off Topic: Ive always wanted to build a trike and the only hurdle I found was getting it street legal, and I did not want to build one just to keep it at home. I approached an RTO official who suggested that I register it as a vehicle for the differently abled and greasing a few palms would take care of it; my conscience just would not allow it. Probably, I will have to wait a few years or decades for this dream to come true.

I have always wondered how DC's cars, especially the limos, got clearance.
Old 26th March 2009, 01:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have always been very fascinated with the hot rod culture. Its on my top priority list in the future. I have been planning on doing a hot rod project for a good five six years now, but never got the opportunity to implement it. Just need to find a good donor car chassis for such a project, i have even have the body shape finalized as to what i want it to look like. Hoope to see similar cars listed in this thread very soon, want to know who all have taken the plunge into this section.
Old 26th March 2009, 01:35   #10

Arush in a Classics thread!! We have now seen everything!!! Please do give a brief of what you have in mind! I know i shall be hung for what I am about to say, But....A Dukkar in bad shape would be a perfect candidate for a hotrod. Its already got the butt for a good hot rod design. All you need is a way to give it some Rake and some good wheels.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

I was actually more than three fourth of the way to creating a Rod in Hyderabad in the late ninties but fate intervened and I had to leave the country.

The car was a 1951 Lincoln Sports Sedan. It had a thumping big V8,huge four barrel carb and the shape to match. After driving this car for a while if you touched the intake mainfold it would be ice cold, a testement to the volume of gas flowing through it.

The car had an auto tranny with a torque converter and boy would that car move. Once we were driving in front of the pubic gardens in Hyderabad and had to stop for a light. A guy in a honda was next to us and asked how fast the car went.

Just for kicks i floored it and it took off like a bat out of hell leaving rubber on the road. Awsome car.

The plan was to get rid of all the chrome,paint it deep bottle green and just finish it.

The car already had a lowered look and with the frenched headlights it was the ideal candidate for rodding. It was exactly the same as the 51 Mercury made famous by Jimmy Dean.

I got around to finish the paint but since I was migrating to the US sold it on to a dear friend. The car was all there and he felt it was too good to waste and was going to do it up propertly.

We in Indai have all these talented body guys, painters and mechanics around. The labour cost is I guess still reasonable so it would be a great idea to look at rodding.It neednot be as radical as it is in the staes today but for starters souped up engines in old fiats would do.

Can you guys imagine a Fiat with a thumping big V8 in it with twin four barrel carbs sticking out of a slot in the bonnet. totally radical.

Lets discuss this concept further.
Old 26th March 2009, 10:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good thread. It would be wonderful if more hot-rods were made.
We used to talk about doing something like this,when were in college. A few of us motorheads even came up with an idea:
Get an Amby/any other car from the 60s-70s; re-do the chassis,and reinforce the structure; source a big a** engine from the US and put them all together. Well,it all stayed as thoughts!

There are so many talented mechanics & body-work people,that getting things done really isn't tough.The right ideas,and the right parts and this can be done.
Old 26th March 2009, 10:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Enigines should not be a problem as if there is demand for big petrol engines I am sure someone will start importing them. Just as there was great demand for Diesel engines so people started importing them from south Asia. There were quiet a few used Diesel engines available at a reasonable price so if the market wants big V8's I'm sure someone will import a container load and they will be very reasonably priced
Old 26th March 2009, 10:39   #14
rippergeo

Importing engines, and then finding spares for them are going to be 2 very big hassles.
Locally available engines/powertrain combos dont come in a RWD format, which IMO is essential for the character of a hot rod.
The only decent ,affordable, indian engines are the 2.6 and the 2.2s from mahindra. And they are diesel. Would love to see someone actually get a hot rod built here. It would be a welcome change from the Ricers and the ICEmobiles.

Old 26th March 2009, 11:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Enigines should not be a problem as if there is demand for big petrol engines I am sure someone will start importing them. Just as there was great demand for Diesel engines so people started importing them from south Asia. There were quiet a few used Diesel engines available at a reasonable price so if the market wants big V8's I'm sure someone will import a container load and they will be very reasonably priced
And then sit and break your head with the customs. Import of second hand parts is totally banned. Partly because of these stupid old worn out 3 cylinder Japaneese diesel engines fitted to our Mumbai taxis, imported from the gulf. They were so worn out that Mumbai had the highest smok levels ever.
Recently a 12 cylinder merc engine was bought by the scrappies from the customs. It was confiscated. Wonder if anyone took it in.

Most Viewed