Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 15:08   #1
BHPian

Left Hand Drive Cars

A friend had taken his late model out of state Volvo(RHD) car to the RTO office for the pre re-registration inspection.Unusually the Motor Vehicle Inspector was a keen automobile enthusiast and was genuinely interested in the car, Volvos are not very common here in Kerala.While chatting with him the MVI mentioned that the department has received a circlular instructing them that fitness certificates are not to be issued for Left Hand Drive cars at the time of re-registration.
The import of Left Hand Drive cars on Transfer of residence or OGL has been banned for sometime now, but it was shocking to hear that the use of already registered LHD cars are to be prohibhited.
Does anyone have any info/confirmation on this issue.
Regards,
SG
Old 30th March 2009, 15:14   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
A friend had taken his late model out of state Volvo(RHD) car to the RTO office for the pre re-registration inspection.Unusually the Motor Vehicle Inspector was a keen automobile enthusiast and was genuinely interested in the car, Volvos are not very common here in Kerala.While chatting with him the MVI mentioned that the department has received a circlular instructing them that fitness certificates are not to be issued for Left Hand Drive cars at the time of re-registration.
The import of Left Hand Drive cars on Transfer of residence or OGL has been banned for sometime now, but it was shocking to hear that the use of already registered LHD cars are to be prohibhited.
Does anyone have any info/confirmation on this issue.
Regards,
SG
That is ridiculous. Any LHD imported before 2003 can be legally used in India without any problem. I have a Left HAnd Drive Fiat which I bougt from Kerela and i did not have any problems while transferring it to Bombay.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess what is needed here is a little palm greasing " Baksheesh"

in the good old Indian tradition.
Old 1st April 2009, 15:26   #4
BHPian

Baksheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I guess what is needed here is a little palm greasing " Baksheesh"

in the good old Indian tradition.
I do admit that if its true, this is one of the most ridiculous GOs' , but then governments orders are meant to be ridiculous...only then the public servants can serve the public by helping the public to circumvent the GO, for a fee.
Our honourable Netas and govt servants would like us to believe that Baksheesh is a much maligned Indian tradition.. its only a small service charge for services rendered ...but these days its a kind of state approved extortion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks