Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 18:23   #181
BHPian

I understand it is a 1933 Chev but to me it feels more like a 34 or possible a 35.

Anyone able to confirm the year?
Old 13th April 2010, 10:17   #182
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I understand it is a 1933 Chev but to me it feels more like a 34 or possible a 35.

Anyone able to confirm the year?
John this is a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton. I am restoring an identical car here in Hyderabad

The 34 Chev had horizontal slats in the bonnet and the 32 had 4 doors on the bonnet side. The 33 had the three door bonnet sides.

Chances are the chassis number starts with XTCA where the XT refers to cars made in Bombay and the CA to the Master series. The Standard were the CC series

There were only 543 Master Phaetons made making this ultra rare. We just fired up the overhauled engine a few days back and what a delightful sound its six has. I reckon the Bombay cars would have started either with 600 or 650 as numbering and a handful may have been made here

Last edited by DKG : 13th April 2010 at 10:28.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:26   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
John this is a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton. I am restoring an identical car here in Hyderabad
Thanks for all the information and I had confirmed that it was a 1933 a few days back and opened up a separate thread on this car and posted additional photos. Didn't realize these cars were so rare!

Would much appreciate seeing photos of your car and would suggest you open up a dedicated thread on it. I'm sure that you can provide Bumpu insights and help on his project as well.

I'm back in Toronto till November when we return. So nice to keep abreast of what's happening in India.
Old 16th April 2010, 22:36   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are a few photos I took a few weeks back.
Sparky should be able to post a few more and add some details.
Hi,

well for starters i will put in details of what is happening-

1). The Fiat front and rear suspensions have been assembeled.

2). The paint work should start on the fiat next week or so.

3). The chevrolet brakes have been done and then has been takeb on two test drives.

4). The mercury body work is almost over except the roof.

Pics shall be soon following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hi john,
Nice to see you back! Nice pics. Incidentally, I was surprised to see the gold/black chevy 4-door tourer here! I knew this car, it used to be here in Hyderabad, sitting in the corner of a local garage I used to visit around 3-4 years ago. 'was said to originally be an MP Royal family car, then bought by a restaurant owner here who'd given it for restoration to said garage but looks like the work didnt proceed as I always saw the car in the same state. Then one day it disappeared from there but I didnt know it was sold.
Good to see this car being restored now. 'looks like it's been through a little rough time since I last saw it though, maybe damaged during the transportation. It had an inline 6 cyl. engine I recall.
Nice memory. The car came to calcutta 2 years back and was stored. The car will go through complete restoration.

Will post pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

The 34 Chev had horizontal slats in the bonnet and the 32 had 4 doors on the bonnet side. The 33 had the three door bonnet sides.

Chances are the chassis number starts with XTCA where the XT refers to cars made in Bombay and the CA to the Master series. The Standard were the CC series

There were only 543 Master Phaetons made making this ultra rare. We just fired up the overhauled engine a few days back and what a delightful sound its six has. I reckon the Bombay cars would have started either with 600 or 650 as numbering and a handful may have been made here
I will post the engine and chassis number and we can get more details on the car.

Quote:
Thanks for all the information and I had confirmed that it was a 1933 a few days back and opened up a separate thread on this car and posted additional photos. Didn't realize these cars were so rare!

Would much appreciate seeing photos of your car and would suggest you open up a dedicated thread on it. I'm sure that you can provide Bumpu insights and help on his project as well.

I'm back in Toronto till November when we return. So nice to keep abreast of what's happening in India.
--- Just to inform you we put a cover on your car and we had started it as well.

will post more details of the work happening.

Prithvi please upload the pics you took yesterday of all the work in progress.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:27   #185
BHPian

Here are the pics that I took when I went to see the progress on my Merc of other ongoing restorations in Bumpu Sircar's workshop. It was very hot and was in the afternoon so I managed to take only a few pics.

I should also clarify that the Ford Model A and the Rover 3 litre in the pics have only come to Bumpu da's place for mechanical work and not for complete jobs. The Model A has a lovely paint job, and really looks the part with its red and black paint scheme. The colour of the leather on the seats goes very well with the colour of the body. The Rover comes with the very desirable alloy wheels as shown in one of the pics.

The Fiat 500 looked all set for paint and the tin work on the Ford Mercury really impressed me as I have seen the condition of the car when it came to the workshop and it looked like an impossible project to undertake at the time.

Regards
mbz180

Ford Model A
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-a_1.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford_a.jpg

Added trunk
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-trunk.jpg

Interiors
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-seats.jpg

Rear wheels
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-parts.jpg

Engine
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-engine_1.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-engine_2.jpg

Rover 3 litre
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-rover-front.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-rover-back.jpg

Engine
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-rover-engine.jpg

Rear Springs
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-rover-springs.jpg

Alloys for the Rover
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-rover-wheels.jpg

FIAT 500
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-fiat-front.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-fiat-side.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-fiat-back.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-fiat-engine.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-fiat-floor.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-fiat_2.jpg

Ford Mercury Floor board
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-merc-floor.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-ford-merc-floor_1.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd May 2010 at 09:31. Reason: Editing on request
Old 10th May 2010, 00:32   #186
BHPian

@ Indrojit: Amazing, Sooper, Professional, Awesome!

I am at a loss for better words.
It is indeed great to have members like you on the forum with such levels of finesse and detailing for Vintage Car restorations.
And I am keeping an eye here to await the completion pictures of the FIAT 500, my favourite amongst all the other rare and exclusive beauties.
Old 10th May 2010, 01:50   #187
Senior - BHPian

Love that Rover! Is it the 3 liter P5 or the 3.5 liter P5B? Seems more like the latter,judging by the extra lamps up front!

EDIT: Just saw the wheels.Its a 3.5 P5B!

Last edited by AyAn! : 10th May 2010 at 01:53.
Old 20th June 2010, 16:16   #188
BHPian

hi indro

Your father is an exceptional restorer
Super amazing work there
There is this thing called cleanliness in work.... it shows in your restorations.
It would be an honour to meet both of you guys sometime if I get the chance

cheers and all the best for your future endeavors

-CD
Old 20th June 2010, 19:19   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Love that Rover! Is it the 3 liter P5 or the 3.5 liter P5B? Seems more like the latter,judging by the extra lamps up front!

EDIT: Just saw the wheels.Its a 3.5 P5B!
Its a 3 litre not a 3.5 litre though the wheels are the 3.5 litre Ro-style wheels. These wheels are probably aftermarket.The extra fog lights are not characteristic of a 3.5 litre they were factory options included even on most 3 litres.

There are some clues to a 3.5 litre Rover existing somewhere in Mumbai and another in Bangalore but no one knows for sure.

Indrojit what is the progress on this car. Can you post the completed pics on the Vintage and classic Rover thread. Need to do a census on these cars, they are disappearing fast.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:48   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post

Indrojit what is the progress on this car. Can you post the completed pics on the Vintage and classic Rover thread. Need to do a census on these cars, they are disappearing fast.
Hi Amol,

That may not be possible to do because the owner is against having pics of his car on this forum. He is also a member here and a daily viewer. Incase you want the pics i suggest you contact him and not me. The cosmetic and body restoration was done by him. It has only come for the mechanical jobs.

Sorry to disappoint you.
Old 14th August 2010, 02:00   #191
Senior - BHPian

1927 Lancia Lambda

A pic of a lancia lambda that was restored in our workshop. Found this on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-untitled1.jpg  

Old 14th August 2010, 07:14   #192
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
1927 Lancia Lambda

A pic of a lancia lambda that was restored in our workshop. Found this on the internet.
There is a similar car in Bangalore which was at one time owned by General Thimmaiah, Chief of Army. His mother had gifted it to him for his wedding. It has a MYS (Shimoga) registration. The car was with Mr. Balram Kandige (founder member KVCCC) for many years and I remember playing in it as child. The current owner has been restoring it is stages over the past few years.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2010, 00:31   #193
Senior - BHPian

The work carried out in this workshop and the variety of cars is indeed special.From americans,italians to the british!

The rover 3l to be a headturner when it is done,the poor man's bentley!Cant wait to see the 500 all restored and shiny.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:26   #194
BHPian

Re: Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar

Having just returned to Calcutta for the winter I was over to Bumpu's to pick up my Fiat 1100 WBF-1 that he had completely rebuilt the engine.

These are a few photos of some of the cars under restoration. Sparky can provide more details and I look forward to seeing him in Calcutta and joining him at the Statesman Car Rally.

WBF-1 is running 95% and once we get the cab sorted out !!0%. Once I get some time i'll post more details on it's thread.

So great to be hack home!
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00456.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00462.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00458.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00463.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00471.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00465.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00469.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00467.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc00474.jpg  

Old 12th December 2010, 23:30   #195
Senior - BHPian

Re: Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar

Hmm, the Studebaker President and the Jeep pickup seem to be new additions to the garage. I remember Sparky telling me about the former though.

Work on the Mercury seems to have progressed a fair bit. Can't wait to pay another visit once Sparky is back in Kolkata.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks