Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 12:18   #16
BHPian

I can see a Traction, thanks for sharing.

This car looks like a wolseley version of the MG ZA/ZB

Aditya
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_4872.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_4901.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_4902.jpg  

Last edited by TractionAvant : 9th April 2009 at 12:19.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great restorations,,this seems to be the past time of the family.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

The hardtop Study mentioned as a Golden Hawk, if it actually is a Golden Hawk, is a very desirable car.

It is in the same league as the Chrysler 300B of the same year and is one of the early american muscle, big 5.8 liter V8, actually a Packard engine, and top speed of around 125 MPH.

Hope John can clarify if the power unit is a V8 or an inline six. The six came in the base Flight Hawk model, which was part of the Champion range,then came the Power Hawk, part of the Commander range. This had a 269 cid V8.

The next model up the range was the Sky Hawk, part of the President range with a 289 V8.

The top of the line was the Golden Hawk and it had the Packard 352 cid V8.

The car in the picture looks like a hard top and should probably have a V8 as the Fight Hawk and the Power Hawk are actually coupes not hardtops as there is a B pillar.

It probably is a Power or Sky Hawk as the Golden Hawk has larger fins on the rear.I'll place my money on it being a Sky Hawk which is still a nice car.

Can anyone fill in the blanks on this car please.

Last edited by wasif : 9th April 2009 at 12:56.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The hardtop Study mentioned as a Golden Hawk, if it actually is a Golden Hawk, is a very desirable car.
There is a beautiful car in Pune in terrific condition, used very regularly. I think it is single owner.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...lden-hawk.html
Old 16th April 2009, 16:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
=========================
It probably is a Power or Sky Hawk as the Golden Hawk has larger fins on the rear.I'll place my money on it being a Sky Hawk which is still a nice car.

Can anyone fill in the blanks on this car please.
Well for intoduction I am Rahul Sircar's son.Sorry for the late reply.Well this car is a 1956 Golden Hawk1 without the supercharger.It has a V8 engine in it.And also it has a Automatic Transmission.Sorry to disappoint you but it is a Golden Hawk.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2009 at 17:18. Reason: Back to back post and quoting an entire large post
Old 16th April 2009, 18:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well for intoduction I am Rahul Sircar's son.Sorry to disappoint you but it is a Golden Hawk.

Nice way to reply to a post!! The car with you might have a V8, so did the power Hawk and the Flight Hawk. The size of the engine in cubic inches should be 352 for a Golden Hawk and 289 for the Sky Hawk and 269 for the Power hawk.

The Golden Hawk of 1956 was never available with a Supercharger. These wereavailable from 1957 onwards only.

But come to think of it what the 1956 Golden Hawk did actually come with was larger tail fins than the other hawks.

How check out he pictures below of an actual Golden Hawk and the car which you claim is the Golden Hawk and please do let me know what you have to say now.

Sorry to dissapoint you bro.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_4896.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-sb560301.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-sb560302.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-sb560303.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-sb560304.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-sb560305.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-sb560306.jpg  

Old 16th April 2009, 19:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Now check out these pictures. These are some pictures of the Power Hawks, the Sky Hawk and the Flight Hawks of 1956.

The fins on your car and these are the same.

The car with you is probably a Sky Hawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-1956studebakerskyhawkrearbut.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-1956studebakerpowerhawkja21a.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-1956studebakerflighthawke.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-1956studebakerskyhawkabut.jpg  

Old 16th April 2009, 19:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

This Kolkotta car is probably a Silver Hawk. A friend had seen it 10 years ago and it was shabby, and some minor modifications were done on it. There is always a chance that that was another car, but there were not too many around. BTW, was there also a Silver Hawk? Too lazy to google.
In Mumbai we have a 1956 Studebaker Flight Hawk having a straight 6 cylinder engine with automatic gearbox. That car came originally from Kolkotta.

Last edited by harit : 16th April 2009 at 19:40.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Kolkotta car is probably a Silver Hawk.
There was a Silver Hawk but it was produced only between 1957 & 59. Again bigger wings than whats on the Cal car

Picture attached is a 57.

BTW did you check out the massive carb. Huge must do 3KMPL !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-studebaker_silver_hawk.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th April 2009 at 10:18.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

i mentioned that it was a Golden Hawk 1.Reagarding the fins if you see the picture of my car the rear fenders are missing so that is why it seems to be smaller.This car was imported in 1956 itself.This car had a Manual gearbox but then it had an accident and that was damaged and after that the car was fitted with a automatic gearbox.Then this car was lieing with the earlier owner and was not in use.Then we bought this car from him and according to the bluebook it is a 1956 Golden Hawk.Well if it would be a Flight Hawk or a Sky Hawk it would have been mentioned there isn't it?Once we started work on this car Due to some personal reasons it was never completed.
This car has a 352 in³ (5.8 L) V8 engine.

Hope I could satisfy you but iof not you are most welcome to come and see the car in kolkata.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great if so.

Please post apicture of the engine bay. would love to see it
Old 16th April 2009, 23:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Will try and upload a picture soon.The car is in calcutta now and i am in Delhi so I shall do that once I am in Calcutta hope that is ok?
Old 17th April 2009, 10:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i mentioned that it was a Golden Hawk 1.Reagarding the fins if you see the picture of my car the rear fenders are missing so that is why it seems to be smaller.

Once we started work on this car Due to some personal reasons it was never completed.
This car has a 352 in³ (5.8 L) V8 engine.
Well, then this could be termed as one of the earliest Muscle cars. We look forward to engine pics.
Since you know what you have got, is there a chance of the car being restored? It looks do-able and if critical parts are missing you can get from USA. This car should be back on the road.
Though not very much talked about, Studebaker-Packard did produce powerful engines, the V8 on the Golden Hawk and earlier the straight eight Thunderbolt engine. Too bad this company did not survive.

Cheers
Harit

Last edited by harit : 17th April 2009 at 10:51.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
i mentioned that it was a Golden Hawk 1.This car has a 352 in³ (5.8 L) V8 engine.
Hi Indrojit,

By any chance does this car have a Nepalese connection? And was she originally in Beige/Fawn/Golden colour shades, even if in two-tone between them or in combo with another?

Thanks and cheers,

Prabal
Old 17th April 2009, 15:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

@ harit -Yes we plan to do up this car by end of next year.All the body trims(beedings)are missing,the dynamo is missing which is not a problem it can be arranged for easily.So the main things is the trims.If anyone could help me to find them i would be grateful to that person.

@Prabal-No this car doees not have any nepalese connection.this car was white when we bought it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks