Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 13:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

@Shrivardhan-thank you for your comments.

@DKG-Thank you for hte comments on the XK. The Mercedes which is owned by us is very rare because it was a special car made during the war and only two of this kind were made. One is with us and the other one is with someone in argentina which we got to know by mercedes when my grandfather had written to mercedes regarding the tyres and spares for this car sometime in 1960's. Well he started with this since he was in school, and ever since has been doing this work. Have a few pics of some more cars he has done up years back. One being the 1927 lancia lambda which is also there in this forum you could find that in the pre 1950 sub section. I would upload some more pics of the cars he was done up.

@Wasif-My dad has done a lot of work on this car. I have uploaded pics of the car when it was completely stripped down. The complete upholstry was changed and new leather upholstry was put in. This car was fitted with wired wheels which was not there before restoration. All spared for this car were imported in from the U.K. and the car was completely dismanteled and redone again.Once this car was completely opened up many parts were not original such as the master cylinder etc.
This car was owned by Nawab of pataudi and was the first owner of this car. After which he sold this car sometime in the 2000's and then was bought by someone in delhi and after that was sold to a collector in calcutta who bought this car along with the 1927 lancia lambda (which i mentioned above) were taken to calcutta and were restored by my father. The XK was done up first and then later the lancia was done up. The lancia was sold back to someone in delhi and that person who bought it sold it to a collector in orissa. The XK is still with the collector in calcutta and is still being looked after by my father. Would try and get you more pictures of this car also as soon as possible.

Do ask me any thing more about this car which i have not mentioned above.
Old 28th April 2009, 14:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

These are pictures iof some cars done up by my dad which were sold due to some reason but still have the pics.

The first car is a 1956 Studebaker President and the second car is a 1938 Buick 90l.The studebaker was seen in delhi early this and has been sold to a collector in indore.The buick was sold to a collector in lunawla Mr.Ashok Shah.If anybosy knows anything more about these cars please do share with all of us.

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-stude-president-1.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-stude-president-2.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-buick-2.jpg  

Old 28th April 2009, 15:24   #48
BHPian

Hi,
havn't got a chance to meet you, i know bampu uncle really well though. Loved that buick of yours, the 1938, i was a kid when that came to the rally. Please convince uncle to get your mercedes back in action, i always tell him when i meet him, the calcutta rally ground is missing that car for way to long.That is just a magnificent machine. Cheers on the great job done on somenath uncles xk,thats the best xk in the country.
Hope to see you soon.
cheers... rajiv
Old 28th April 2009, 15:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

If I am not mistaken this Study was in Hyderbad with a dealer for a while.

I remember the distinctive grey and cream colour combo well. Is this the same car.
Old 28th April 2009, 19:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

@Rajiv-You have met me.I met you last month in the party in CCFC which was thrown for the MG. If you remember i vcame upto you and asked you about Dr.Aroop Sen. Try and remember.The Mercedes tyres have been ordered and are going to be comming in soon. Hopefully our Mercedes should be at the rally next year.

@Wasif- Well till what i know about this car is that this car was sold to an australian and he was trying to take it back to australia and couldn't. Then i believe he sold it to someone in Mumbai and the car was there for quite some time. Recently there was a car display in Delhi (is already there in this forum BY S.B Jatti) and the car was seen there. The car was owned by Mr.Ranjit Mallik. Recently Mr. Mallik was in calcutta and had go to my dad for some work when i asked my father to ask him about the car and he said that he has sold it to someone in Indore. Mr.Mallik also said that the car was the same colour as above when he bought it from mumbai. And he has recently re-painted it and the pics are there in the other poll. Do see them.
Old 28th April 2009, 19:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

@Rajiv-sorry forgot to mention earlier i started the merc this time when i was in calcutta and it ran beautifully.The car hasn't been started in the last 10years and when i started the car you wouldn't belive it just started in 2 rounds.
Old 28th April 2009, 19:38   #52
BHPian

Oh, yes of course i remember now having met you, i am so glad that you are adding all this good work of you dad 's on bhp. You should also put some of ajmeras mg restoration pics, that car looks hot !!

cheers
rajiv
Old 28th April 2009, 20:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

@Rajiv-the pics of that car been put up already by Mr.John but i have mnore pics of the car once it was done up completely. The drums were changed after that so don't have any pics of that car with the new drums. The old one's were painted red but the new drums have been polished and they look much better.
Old 28th April 2009, 20:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone these are some pictures of the MG TC during restoration and once it was completely restored. Do comment.

Moderators please excuse me if i have exceeded the limit.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-edit.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1234.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1235.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1246.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1249.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1251.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1250.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1248.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1247.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1243.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dscf1238.jpg  

Old 28th April 2009, 21:31   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
@Prabal-sry for the wrong info i gave you earlier this car has a nepalese connection.Then the car was bought by the mahindra's and then a person bought it from the mahindras and sold it to us.When this car came to us it was whitish as u can see in the picture above. Really sorry again.
That was a real gentlemanly thing to do Indrojit, to come back with the correct information. Thank you very much. As discussed with you by PM, I had seen this car at the garage where our cars went for repairs in the Khidderpore area. That was in 1979/80. The head mechanic/garage owner told us then that she had a Nepal royal family connection, or something similar. Cosmetically she was in very good nick, looked almost brand new and was very low mileage if I rememeber right. But there were mechanical issues, probably with the clutch or gearbox, I don't rememeber well after all these years. The paint was original, in two-tone, a white/cream and golden/fawn/beige. The upholstery was in a light shade too, off-whitish/cream. In your pictures here, she's in primer-surfacer I think, not in paint (white or otherwise). We left Calcutta in January 1981 and I lost track of the Stude. But when you posted, I felt it was the same car, Golden Hawks aren't exactly common cars. Glad that my hunch turned out right, and thank you again very much for confirming it.

There used to be a few other interesting cars in the Fort William/Hastings area in those days. Wonder where they went...

Cheers,

Prabal
Old 28th April 2009, 21:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Thank you again for that information. This car belonged to the wife of the Nepalese king or something like that. This car was sold to the head of Mahindra's and then an employee bought this car. That person had a crash in this car and damaged the car badly. He got it redone and parked it away. My father and grandfather both knew this person and had spoken to him a number of times about selling this car to us but he wasn't too keen. Then sometime in the 1990's this car was sold to the scrap market and since my father was know by all the people their as he used to visit that place very frequently, the guy who bought it came to us and told us and my father bought this car from him. When the car was bought i had uploaded the pic of this car, the only one i had. We started work on this car and due to some reason we couldn't finish it. We have started work on the car again. By next year or so the should be done again.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nice job on the MG, looks neat. Lot of new fangled wiring and cutouts etc are employed.

What about the ignition coil. is it a genuin Lucas England piece ?
Old 29th April 2009, 10:36   #58
BHPian

the mg is my favorite of the lot . have a soft corner for roadsters

Last edited by pranava999 : 29th April 2009 at 10:40.
Old 29th April 2009, 12:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice job on the MG, looks neat. Lot of new fangled wiring and cutouts etc are employed.

What about the ignition coil. is it a genuin Lucas England piece ?

Well any car that comes to us is completely stripped down and re-assmbeled again.We do various kinds of treatment to chassis, suspension , steering body etc. The engine and gear boxes are dismanteled depending on the condition. Upholstry is also redone and is done according to the client's requirement. This is a very tidious and time consuming job. We take more time compared to others but at the end of it each car comes out to be a master piece. As far as the wiring and the cutouts are concerned we redo all the wiring in each car so that cars are perfect in each and every aspect. This is done so that for the next 25-30 years these cars do not have to go through any major jobs.

All parts for the cars we work on are imported in from abroad and are 100% original. So i don't think there is any reason for this particular ignition coil not to be genuine .

@pranava999- hope the XK and the MG have given you a treat.

This particular car has got brand new wired wheels with tyres from abroad when these pics were taken. Apart from that we have changed the drums after these pics have been taken as i have mentioned previously above. Do ask if any other quaries.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th April 2009 at 12:58. Reason: Merging post
Old 30th April 2009, 20:32   #60

The 1938 Buick is under restoration at Pune and will be ready by Dussera. Will definately post the pictures when done.

I got a lovely very original car from Bampu. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
These are pictures iof some cars done up by my dad which were sold due to some reason but still have the pics.

The first car is a 1956 Studebaker President and the second car is a 1938 Buick 90l.The studebaker was seen in delhi early this and has been sold to a collector in indore.The buick was sold to a collector in lunawla Mr.Ashok Shah.If anybosy knows anything more about these cars please do share with all of us.

Thank You

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks