Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 16:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks John for this lovely thread. Timeless beauties i might add.

If like to mention a word or two about the lovely convertible of the early thirties.

IMHO (and i may be wrong) as I go by what i see and have gathered along the years is that it is indeed a very special and rare car. It is Mercedes Stuttgart 260 (W 11) and not a 260 S.
The Stuttgart was the first reasonably priced mid ranged Mercedes

It is not very clear from the pic if its a two door or not. If it were then it would be a Mercedes Benz Stuttgart 260 Cabriolet A (W 11) but...
....from the pics, it looks like a four door as the 260 W11 was a two seater and had no rear seats. This car has a rear seat making it a W11 L OTP which is a Mercedes-Benz Stuttgart 260 (W11 L) OTP, where OTP means Offener Tourenwagen Polizei or open touring car police.
The W 11 L, sported four doors, a rear seat and side mounted spares as shown in the pic.
Now to ascertain if it is an L a L and an OTP. This makes it even rarer as only 50 such cars were made and only in 1933.

The W11 Cabriolet

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-1934-w11.jpg
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-260-stuttgard.jpg
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-copy-1930-mercedes-benz-260-sttutgard.jpg

W11 L OTP

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-w11-l.jpg
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-w11-l-otp.jpg

Typical Wooden steering wheel with its characteristic instrument ring and instrument cluster of the Stuttgart. Same as in the posted pics.

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc06624-large.jpg
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-dsc06625-large.jpg

The W 11 was relatively short nosed than its earlier siblings, something very few Mercedes Benz cars of that era sported. Therefore it did not come with the option of side mounted spare wheels. The twin spares were mounted on the boot like in the Jag SS on the cabriolet.
Like other manufacturers, Mercedes also used symbols and numbers to attract the prospective buyer to features which were not so apparent. In this case there was huge white and red round plate on the car which had the logo "4 Bremse" (Bremse=Brake) to point out that the car had a four whell mechanical braking system.

The engine was a six cyl, three speed with an overdrive available from 1933 onwards
Only 6452, 260 Stuttgarts were made in various types till 1934.

The wheels were essentially 10 spoked till 1933 and in the later years the wire wheels were available. Again if wire wheels were an option back then before 1934, im not too sure.

All in all the cars rare and a beauty. Can we get more pics?
Old 19th April 2009, 00:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi this car is a 1930 mercedes benz stuttgart Speacial versio.This car was bought by my grandfather sometime in the 50s-60s.It was imported into india by a family in Calcutta.My grandfather had approached them to seel this car to us but they did not agree.One day my grandfather saw this car in the scrap market ready to be cut.So in those days he paid Rs.5000 and bought this car.After which he used to drive it on a regualar basis.Then later this car used to used by my father and Grandfather regularly.The car tyres started giving away.My grandfather wrote to mercedes to help us for the tyres.He recieved a letter from them saying that there were only two of these cars Manufactured in the world and was is this particular one and the other one is in argentina or somewhere abroad.Since then the car was used very spareingly.My grandfather managed to buy some tyres for this car in calcutta itself which were new but were lying unused for quite some time.Then my grandfather passed away in 1991.My father took this car last time for the rally in 1994 or 1995.since then we have not drive it because we couldn't afford to import the tyres in from abroad.Well now after so many year i had started this car along with my father in march this year and i am very happy to say that it ran very beautifully.I had taken some pictures of the car then which i am going to upload.So that's all i know about this car please feel free to ask me if you have anything else to know about this car.
IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2009, 09:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Doc Ravi also had a Stuttgart in his lovely collection.

The Stuttgarrt name is mounted on the bottom left of the radiator very similar to the Nurberg he had at the Cartier Show.

How nice to know it is one of two cars ever made.

Last edited by wasif : 19th April 2009 at 10:05.
Old 19th April 2009, 15:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yes i have herd of that car.But this one is a smaller car than that one since it is a special version.I think Mr.ranjit mallik also had one which my dad used to wrok on while it was in calcutta.Then he moved it to delhi since then my dad has not worked on that car.
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

As Mr.John mentioned about a Jaguar XK 140 restored by my father in 2004 well here is one pic i have more pics of the car being done up.I will try and scan them and then upload them.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-jaguar-xk140.jpg  

Old 25th April 2009, 00:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Here are some more pics of the car during restoration hope you all likCalcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-xk-140-1.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-xk-140-2.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-xk-140-3.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-xk-140-4.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-xk-140-5.jpge them!
Old 25th April 2009, 01:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is a pic of our golden Hawk when it was bought around 15-18 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-golden-hawk.jpg  

Old 25th April 2009, 01:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

A picture of our mercedes in the statesman rally 1994
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-mercedes.jpg  

Old 25th April 2009, 11:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
This is a pic of our golden Hawk when it was bought around 15-18 years ago.
Ouch!!!!!!!! that picture hurts.
As I can see, trim has been removed. Now you have to hund for these parts, probably in USA. Get friendly with someone who will help you there. Also keep checking ebay. Do google searches and look throuh Hemmings. Perhaps put an advert. in Hemmings.
But get onto your car, missing trim will not stop it from running. Once you start, things will fall in place. But YOOU have to make the effort.

Cheers harit

P.S. in another thread you mentioned 80L for a car, yours or the Pune car? Slightly confused.
Old 25th April 2009, 13:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

What is that green car next to the Study. Also can we ee pictures of the engine, dash and sides of the Study ???
Old 25th April 2009, 22:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

That's the pune car and that is what the owner of that car said. My car has never been or will be up for sale. Well i agree to what you say about getting the car on the road and will start working on that car soon. If you have any contact please do let me know i wldn;t mind used trims as well so long as i get them.

@Wasif-I don't Know exactly what that green car is but give me some time i'll find out for you.Well this pic is a very very old pic as i mentioned.I don not have anymore pics of the Golden Hawk.Next time i am in calcutta i will surely take pictures and put them up here.

By the way how does the Jaguar Xk 140 look after its new life?Would like to know your opinions.
Old 26th April 2009, 16:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Hi Indrojit,

By any chance does this car have a Nepalese connection? And was she originally in Beige/Fawn/Golden colour shades, even if in two-tone between them or in combo with another?

Thanks and cheers,

Prabal

@Prabal-sry for the wrong info i gave you earlier this car has a nepalese connection.Then the car was bought by the mahindra's and then a person bought it from the mahindras and sold it to us.When this car came to us it was whitish as u can see in the picture above.

Really sorry again.
Old 27th April 2009, 23:04   #43
BHPian

Shrivardhan Kanoria

Id like to take my hats off in front of this black XK. This car is HOT!
Old 28th April 2009, 10:16   #44
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks John once again for the fantastic introductions to enthusiasts from Calcutta (need to get used to Kolkatta)

Between Rajiv, Shrivardhan and Indrojit we have all the Candy the kid in us would ever want !!

Fantastic job on the XK. Such a gorgeous car and she looks amazingly fresh.

The Mercedes in your collection is amazing, never saw such a car before.

Thanks for sharing pictures of the restoration work Indrojit, that's a rare treat.

Time permitting do please share the story of how it all began, how your Dad got into the hobby, the many tales I'm sure he'd have to share.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited by DKG : 28th April 2009 at 10:18.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Great job on the XK DHC. Car looks fresh of the production line.

Please share more on this car, who imported it and the others who owned it.

Did you guys need to re do the upholstry and if so what kind of materials were actually used.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks