Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 09:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

One convertible and one hardtop personally seen by me in Hyderabad so these can be added to the list of such cars extant in Inida. One hardtop reportedly was for sale in Bangalore, unconfirmed.

Have pics of the hyd cars somewhere in my belongins in Hyd. Will try to pull them out this August along with other interesting ones.

Aniket These cars didn't all come to India. They are reports of some to be found in Australia too.
Old 28th June 2009, 16:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Dhanbad Atlantic Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
As for white Atlantics, I am surprised to know that there was a white A90 Atlantic in Dhanbad sometime in the 1960s! (The source of info is the same friend's dad who owned an A40 Devon.) Apparently the Atlantic owner was a good friend of his, and he claims to have a pic of himself driving the car! Naysayers, please hold your horses until I manage to post the pic!
Right, as promised, here are the pics of the Atlantic from Dhanbad. The young chap driving the car is my friend's dad, and the kid behind is his much younger brother (now a senior lecturer in some IIT). The car didn't turn out to be white after all. It looks to be a white and red 2-tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
remaining 7625 in India? Again just kidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Aniket These cars didn't all come to India. They are reports of some to be found in Australia too.
Whats wrong with you guys? It was just a joke! Not only were Atlantics ultimately sold in Australia, but also South Africa and a lot of erstwhile "gora" colonies. India just happened to be one of the latter.
Attached Thumbnails
Austin A90 Atlantics in India-scan0006.jpg  

predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2009, 11:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Right, as promised, here are the pics of the Atlantic from Dhanbad. The young chap driving the car is my friend's dad, and the kid behind is his much younger brother (now a senior lecturer in some IIT). The car didn't turn out to be white after all. It looks to be a white and red 2-tone.
That's a nice photo. Can you find out the regn number?

The car would have been considered pretty stylish back then with those flowing lines, funky 3 piece windscreen, twin 'shikaar' lights and broad whitewalls. Is that a radio antenna?

How do you identify the car to be red? It could just as well be any other dak colour. For that matter even the white could be a lighter shade of blue, green etc.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 29th June 2009, 12:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Colour dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That's a nice photo. Can you find out the regn number?

The car would have been considered pretty stylish back then with those flowing lines, funky 3 piece windscreen, twin 'shikaar' lights and broad whitewalls. Is that a radio antenna?

How do you identify the car to be red? It could just as well be any other dak colour. For that matter even the white could be a lighter shade of blue, green etc.
Thanks for sharing.
Finding out the registration number would be tough. This family had migrated to Kolkata in 1978, and the owner of the pic didnt even remember the car's exact name - until one day I was discussing the Atlantic's features with him and he recollected knowing one such car.

The lighter shade is definitely white. My friend's father recollects it went about like a "swan" in the sea of black Morris and Austins inside the colliery officers colony. Another reference to your point about the car being stylish.

As for the the darker shade, I just think its red. Could be any other colour you mentioned. The owner of the pic, of course, didnt even remember the car was 2-tone until he retrieved the pic!

OT - Hope you've checked out the Austin A70 Hereford I posted here (obtained from the same source)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1362525

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 29th June 2009 at 12:09. Reason: Added OT discussion
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2009, 20:56   #20
BHPian

i have seen a convertible on road in delhi as late as 2003/4, it was maroon or red if i remember right. many years ago i recall a white austin conv. in delhi, but im not sure if it was an atlantic
Old 4th July 2009, 17:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whats wrong with you guys? It was just a joke! Not only were Atlantics ultimately sold in Australia, but also South Africa and a lot of erstwhile "gora" colonies. India just happened to be one of the latter.
Nothing wrong with us, obviously you did not get that we also pulled a leg. You have said in one of your previous posts that you do not mind anything directed at you. Remember?
BUT, this picture is a nice picture, we would not have seen it but for you. Also the Governor's Austin. Please do post more such pictures. We really do appreciate them.

Cheers harit
Old 29th November 2009, 17:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately no pictures of the Pune cabrio. I do have this picture of a Citroen DS that was at the garage at the time, the Austin is barely visible in the back.
Recently I visited this car (the red atlantic cabrio) after ages, it was WB regd. And it was joined by another one too! Both were in primer, being painted.
Old 29th November 2009, 18:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I visited this car (the red atlantic cabrio) after ages, it was WB regd. And it was joined by another one too! Both were in primer, being painted.
There are two Atlantics that I know of. One is in Chennai which I have seen and have heard of one in the Nilgiris, with some estate owner perhaps in Ooty.
The Chennai one was originally red with black top. It has been repainted and maybe its the one Xotic cars has posted.
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Austin A90 Atlantics in India

I posted this pic in the Nostalgic pictures thread and also posting here, thought it should be documented here as well.

This picture was captured by Ken Martin on a trip to India in 1987
Austin A90 Atlantics in India-8702-india-delhi-c1949-austin-atlantic-a90-kenmartinpic.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 22:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Austin A90 Atlantics in India

This was shared on the HMCI Facebook page.

Austin A90 Atlantics in India-fb_img_1557766937366.jpg

Austin A90 Atlantics in India-fb_img_1557766939884.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed