Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 14:48   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
Old vehicles of all sorts, which are in dilapidated and unfit condition should be scrapped. They are a real threat to all road users and the environment.
The fitness tests and emission norms should be strictly followed.

Remember, all old cars can not be termed vintage cars or classics.
I think if a car complies with all emission norms that were in place at the time the car was manufactured, then the car shouldn't be scrapped. You cannot expect a 70s car to pass all fitness tests in place in 2009. As long as it passes all fitness tests that were in place in the 70s, the car is reasonably well maintained and should be allowed to live on and someday be categorized as vintage or classic. If you start scrapping cars solely because of their age or because they do not conform to current emission standards, you will never have any cars that can be considered vintage or classics.
Old 29th August 2009, 16:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Old vehicles of all sorts, which are in dilapidated and unfit condition should be scrapped. They are a real threat to all road users and the environment.
The fitness tests and emission norms should be strictly followed.

Remember, all old cars can not be termed vintage cars or classics.
so tomorrow will you start saying your old house should be demolished,because it is 1/10 the value of land on which it is standing,
tomorrow will kill your pet because it is old?
Old 30th August 2009, 12:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

The laws enacted in some countries recarding the scrappage of old cars was basically to help boost demand for the automobile industry. Not only are they quite a powerful lobby, they also employ a lot of people making the industry politically very significant. Compared to those numbers, we enthusiasts are a scattered minority. Just see how many of us are there on this forum apread ALL over India, there would be more people employed in the automobile industry and ancilliaries just in Pune. So they are a vote bank/lobby, we are not. The primary aim would have been economic and vote bank, keep the people happy. Not only did the workers and industry benefit, also private individuals who bought these cars. They got a new car at a cheaper price and got excess money for their old car.
There were strict rules, the cars had to be scrapped. But even in Germany, there were cheats who sold cars to Africa without scrapping. Unfortunately, in such schemes the collector car enthusiasts did not have a say. So we saw in Germany 2CV being traded in, very good 115, 123 & 124 Mercs. Also older cars which are now seldom seen, like Ford Taunus, lots of Golf's, Kadett's. But which administration had the energy and inclination to sort these out? Some collectables were bound to find themselves on the wrong side of this scheme.
Similarly, banning of 'polluting' cars. Many German cities have coloured stickers put by authorities to indicate the level of pollution. So those with green stickers are allowed in any cuty, those with yellow and red stickers are not allowed. Many cities can no longer host a vintage rally! Unfortunately many old cars here are indeed polluting. Theoretically all cars are checked for PUC. And so should be non-polluting. But in practice what happens every one knows. Has any vehicle ever been sent back from the PUC station as it failed? Probably not, the carb is adjusted and all is hunky dorry till the mechanic retuned the car to the original polluting setting. Otherwise the car runs on lean mixtures and chugs along.
So cars should pass a fitness test which is conducted with atleast some sincerity. And as mentioned, not all old cars are collectible. And if an old car is not collectable, it does not mean that it has to be scrapped. Just that the owner should maintain it properly.

Ajay 99 is being a bit harsh, but I have known people who have put their aged pets to sleep when they were suffering badly with disease. And you can always keep the old house on a property now valued 10 times more than when it was initially built, but your rate of taxes may not remain at the original level. Afterall, price of everything has gone up, petrol, cars, sugar, food, real estate, taxes, school fees etc but not the controlled rents under the rent act.

So let us keep on driving our jalopies, but keep them safe.
Old 30th August 2009, 19:39   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a principle difference in what has been proposed according to the article clipping for Bombay and whats happening in Europe and the US - volunteering.

According to the 'cash for clunkers' and other similar schemes, the owner of the old car has a choice whether to opt for the scheme or not. In Bombay they propose to blanket ban all vehicles over a certain age - which I think is preposterous.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:00   #35
BHPian

In foreign countries, I heard you are supposed to sell a 15 year old car and govt will pay the difference amount to buy a new car. Is there any allusion to such provisions in this rule too?
Old 30th August 2009, 21:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
so tomorrow will you start saying your old house should be demolished,because it is 1/10 the value of land on which it is standing,
tomorrow will kill your pet because it is old?

What I wrote was old vehicles in a dilapidated and dangerous condition should be recyled.

If an old house is unfit, it should be demolished, no doubt.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:50   #37

Quote:
What I wrote was old vehicles in a dilapidated and dangerous condition should be recyled.

If an old house is unfit, it should be demolished, no doubt.

And Who decides whether the car is dilapidated? What If I buy a junker and decide to restore it? Who decides whether it is worth scrapping or restoring.
Old 31st August 2009, 18:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
And Who decides whether the car is dilapidated? What If I buy a junker and decide to restore it? Who decides whether it is worth scrapping or restoring.
Generally economics does
Old 1st September 2009, 04:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
In foreign countries, I heard you are supposed to sell a 15 year old car and govt will pay the difference amount to buy a new car. Is there any allusion to such provisions in this rule too?
In North America their are NO restrictions on old cars!

Vintage cars can have special plates in some parts of the U.S. and any car 20 years or older can obtain special limited insurance at about 10% of the cost for the collectors to drive for pleasure. My old 68 Jaguar's insurance cost $130 Can. valued at $35,000 and my 2004 Volks Passat $1,200 and valued at $14.000.

In Canada cars require a safety inspection every two years regardless of age.
Seat belts are not required on cars that were not fitted with them when sold.

The recent cash for old clunkers was to boost the Auto industry and put more gas efficient cars on the road.

The problem here is the high cost of repairs and parts. Mechanics go for $45 -110 per hour, the higher costs being charged in the dealerships with high overheads.

PLUS we don't have all the corruption that is found in India.

Also unlike West Bengal where all cars, not having paid road taxes, have to pay all the back years road tax plus a 100% penalty which can cost more than the car in many cases. This is not the case here in N.A.

Last edited by john a milne : 1st September 2009 at 04:18. Reason: addition info
Old 7th September 2009, 05:44   #40
BHPian

Hi,

Has the decision been made by the Govt to phase out the 20yr old cars.

??
Old 7th September 2009, 09:41   #41
BHPian

[quote=
It is a measure to ease traffic chaos.
[/quote]
How this move will ease traffic chaos? People whose cars will fail the criteria will have no option but to buy a new car.

It can be a move to remove high polluting cars from the roads (assuming old car tech => more pollution) but then even now we have a roadworthyness test for polluting cars called "Pollution Check". So it is also covered.

Until and unless there is something else, this whole courtroom drama is not even required.
Old 7th September 2009, 09:59   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Seat belts are not required on cars that were not fitted with them when sold.
This makes sense, considering that fitting of seatbelts is not like fitting on some accessories! It requires strict testing and precision, which can only be done while the car is still being manufactured. This is one thing the local authorities do not understand! I once read in a local newspaper that a Police official, despite saying that many of the older cars on the road in AP don't have seatbelts, "there are many mechanic garages where they can be fitted on", which just shows their lack of understanding of the entire purpose behind fitting them!

They care about nothing but enforcing the law in place! Even this law is very vague in AP, saying that the fine is for not wearing the seatlbelt, but doesn't mention whether all cars must be fitted with them or not!
Old 7th September 2009, 10:25   #43
BANNED

@stanher: I fully agree that many cos are totally unaware of the rules, esp those related to safety etc.

Fixing seatbelts requires strengthening of the mounts. While the mounts on the floor are relativity easy to anchor, the B-pillar will almost certainly not have the strength unless properly reinforced at the manufacturing stage.
Old 7th September 2009, 10:50   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this rule has already been implemented about a week-ten days back in Kolkata as per my info.
Indeed when I visited there last week, my impression was that now with all these ancient vehicles off the roads there, the city's traffic has actually become a little better than before.

I hope they enforce the same rule across India. However, they should view the condition of the cars and if they are well-maintained and NOT driven on commercial basis and / or kept for sentimental/ antique value, they should be left alone.

In short, it boils down to the economic status of the owner, the state of maintenance of the vehicle and the kiind of usage the vehicle is put to, on regular basis.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th September 2009 at 10:51.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this rule has already been implemented about a week-ten days back in Kolkata as per my info.
Indeed when I visited there last week, my impression was that now with all these ancient vehicles off the roads there, the city's traffic has actually become a little better than before.
No it hasnt. This thread talks about phasing out private cars. The only vehicles that have been banned in Kolkata are 15 year old commercial vehicles - Buses, autos and taxis.

Do PM me before coming down to Kolkata again, Would love to meet another fellow bhpian.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks