Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 00:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What about the most basic rule of owning an old car + the monsoons : Dry indoor parking! Though not a very old car, my Jeep is incredibly susceptible to rust. She's been parked outdoors for the last 10 years.

However, my Jeep recently made her way into the building garage
I'd say indoor parking is the single most important consideration, keeping in mind the quality of our rain water + Bombay weather conditions.
Dry indoor parking is only good if the place has good airing. A shut and dry garage is not possible in areas with high humidity like Mumbai, a shut garage will also trap moisture. That is why stilt parking is not at all bad, plenty of airing. The word airing actually means air circulation.
Happy parking!
Old 7th July 2009, 01:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

That pic of the bearing didn't come well with the Team-BHP watermark all over it. The bearing looks like this:

Name:  30392_300.png
Views: 1621
Size:  103.2 KB

Its already started rusting. The bike was in the rains for more than 5 days getting excessively wet. It was never wiped off at all in those 5 days.
Old 7th July 2009, 11:38   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey, what is this white rust-removal powder ? .
Quote:
Thanks Gordon, I'll need some of this soon.
If Gordon's talking about what I think he's talking about, the rust removal powder comes packed in a cheap looking white plastic bottle. Small size but lasts a long time. Pretty inexpensive too (50 bucks?), but unbelievably effective. You get it at most accessory / auto part shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dry indoor parking is only good if the place has good airing. A shut and dry garage is not possible in areas with high humidity like Mumbai, a shut garage will also trap moisture.
Good point. Notice the window on the left. The garage is very well-ventilated. And because there is an outside wall close to the garage, even if you leave the window open, rain doesn't find its way inside.
Old 8th July 2009, 22:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Here it is, took a pic of it.

Chromium Polish - Fatafat Chakachak
Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car-polish.jpg

Also buy some cotton-waste from the same shop. Wet the part with water, take some cotton-waste with the powder and scrub on the rust. Some say to do it without water (dry), but I didn't take the risk in case it causes scratches.

Apart from the gold anti-rust solution, another option is to use gear oil on chrome parts, very effective. Use this option ONLY if you're going to store the bike and not use it.
Old 8th July 2009, 23:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

I use Wax-Pol and I find it very effective. Wipe the bumpers clean and then with another clean cloth put generous amount of waxpol and leave it for about 5 mins, then polish it vigourously and Voila you have shining bumpers and the Waxpol protects them from moisture.

I am recommending this only because I have been using this for the past one year After the chrome plating guys recommended it to me.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:25   #21
BHPian

@ the mole,
thanks for this useful information again.
Here in my building, the guy who has Italian Vespa 150 does the same thing.
Old 9th July 2009, 19:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

A point or two that I want to record here:
The used oils are toxic and skin contact is best avoided. There was a cover story in Auto India a decade or so back on the toxicity. But used oils are excellent for lubrication and rust prevention.
If rust is removed from a painted surface, its advisable to rub the surface with sand paper , expose the metal till the metallic lustre of steel is seen and then in dry weather apply primer. The quick drying primers from reputed companies are very good for recurrence of rust. Grey and brown shades are available.
Old 10th July 2009, 01:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good point. Notice the window on the left. The garage is very well-ventilated. And because there is an outside wall close to the garage, even if you leave the window open, rain doesn't find its way inside.
I was making a general comment, not specifically referring to your garage. There was a 1956 Buick Special on Nepean Sea Road, parked in a garage for more than 25 or so years. This had collapsible gate, so very good airing. But the idiots kept a cover on the car. This absorbed moisture and the car totaly rotted away. Very sad!
Old 12th July 2009, 21:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Panic attack !

I do not have a covered parking space for my Fiat Super Select. Much to my dismay, I found rust spots emerging on my newly chromed bumpers and one headlight ring. (curiously, the "carello" made in Italy ring is unaffected, but the desi one started showing rust!).
Immediately got my act together. Rubbed them down with rust removing powder, cleaned the bumpers et al. Applied wax-pol polish, got them chaka chak again. Subsequently, applied a layer of petroleum jelly (vaseline) to all my chromed bits to avoid further damage.
Thanks a ton TBHP buddies - Gordon, Amol, and Adheesh.
Here are pictures of the headlight ring - Before, and After.
Attached Thumbnails
Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car-dscf0122.jpg  

Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car-dscf0123.jpg  

SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2009, 22:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not have a covered parking space for my Fiat Super Select. Much to my dismay, I found rust spots emerging on my newly chromed bumpers and one headlight ring. (curiously, the "carello" made in Italy ring is unaffected, but the desi one started showing rust!).
Immediately got my act together. Rubbed them down with rust removing powder, cleaned the bumpers et al. Applied wax-pol polish, got them chaka chak again. Subsequently, applied a layer of petroleum jelly (vaseline) to all my chromed bits to avoid further damage.
Thanks a ton TBHP buddies - Gordon, Amol, and Adheesh.
Here are pictures of the headlight ring - Before, and After.
Boss I hope you cover the car, if you dont have covered parking. The best way to avoid rust (from experience) is make sure there is no contact with water whatsoever not even a few drops. When you put a cover make sure you tie it down with a heavy cord to prevent the bumpers from being exposed during heavy winds.

Remember In the end only thing that will work and that is keeping the car absolutely dry not a drop especially on the chrome.

BTW the Carello rims are made of brass and hence they dont rust, the local ones are MS
Old 12th July 2009, 22:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Arre Amol, most people have been telling me NOT to cover the car if it is in the open, as the humidity builds up inside and makes the situation worse.. I have currently done the next best thing - employed the watchman to wipe the car dry whenever he sees water on it. I personally inspect her every sunday and attend to minor things that happen. It's imposs for me to find a covered space, so I'm slowly learning - albeit the hard way.
Old 12th July 2009, 22:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Arre Amol, most people have been telling me NOT to cover the car if it is in the open, as the humidity builds up inside and makes the situation worse.. I have currently done the next best thing - employed the watchman to wipe the car dry whenever he sees water on it. I personally inspect her every sunday and attend to minor things that happen. It's imposs for me to find a covered space, so I'm slowly learning - albeit the hard way.
Ravi, I suggest not to put a cover on a re-painted car if it is left outdoors in pouring rain. A cover on a car left indoors in monsoon is perfect. Covers will serve the purpose only on a factory painted car. (for whatever reason?) Also, please apply that brown Anti-rust immediately on all the chromed parts if you want to save them from further rain damage. Post monsoon you can take it off very easily with Kerosene or Diesel.
I myself have to do this on BML 8114 which is very unfortunately lying outdoors in the monsoon and all the chromed parts are rusting badly.

However, it is pending restoration, so I can be escused due to lack of parking space available indoors.
Old 12th July 2009, 22:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I'll definitely put the brown anti rust asap on the chromed parts. Breaks my heart to see her outdoors like this, but can't be helped - my own fault I guess, for not mobilizing a garage somewhere in time.. I'll be better prepared next monsoon.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there is ANY problem in covering your car newly-painted/factory-painted or whatever. As long as the cover is waterproof and doesn't allow water to seep in, it should be fine. There are so many covers in the market that are not at all waterproof. When it pours, water seeps in through it soo easily. Try to find a very good cover.

If I leave the Bullet uncovered or covered (with a seeping in material), spots of rust occur. But with the new cover, not even a drop goes through. Its completely away from rust.

Put an anti-rust solution. Cover your car.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:32   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Covering a car with a totally waterproof cover is not harmful at all. Only during the dry spells take it off,let the car body get some natural sunny spells (akin to westeners taking to sun tanning )open the doors or the window glasses to let the dampened interiors get some respite.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks