Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 20:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
sure V-16 but I am happy people are writing in with their experiences. You have such a long list and a large fleet how about telling us your list and for how much and in which year you bought them this will at least create some direction in the future as to premiums and how one can go about setting them one year from now or say 3!

Better yet if one of you sells you should also put at what price so we can avoid sily stuff like spiytfires split windscreen which he sold for 1.5 and is now being qouted at 10 within a year and a half. Even gold has to not appreciated the same way.
some idea about prices is better than nothing

Last edited by v12 : 17th July 2009 at 20:27.
Old 17th July 2009, 23:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...... this will at least create some direction in the future as to premiums and how one can go about setting them one year from now or say 3!
Most of my cars were bought at, what i thought to be scrap rates, when the prices were down or more importantly when i had money in my pocket and thought the price was right, none of this could be an indicative purchase price. Others thought they were too expensive or vice-versa. I offered, they accepted, the deal was struck. Some i thought were bought at scrap prices, others i thought were cheap, thats how i buy my cars. Im keeping my eye here as im really intrigued.
Old 18th July 2009, 09:29   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The last time I bought a car the owner sent pictures, I liked what I saw and knew it was a car I wanted, he quoted a price, I requested a small reduction for trucking expenses, he agreed. I drove to his place, put the money on the table, loaded the car in a truck and left. Later several people questioned me how I managed to get the car out from that owner. Apparently he had shown the door to many "affluent" buyers. They lost out as they had tried to negotiate. I gained as to me the fact that he was willing to part with the car was a golden opportunity and I didn't think it necessary to negotiate.

So the bottomline is, if you like what you see and the owner is willing to sell and you have the money, ask once and if the owner doesn't budge just buy it. I have known many cases where people thought they were being smart asses in negotiating only to find the car sold to someone else at an even higher price.

Today I am on the lookout for a particular car. I know where it is but the owner is not willing to sell. The day he decides to sell and hopefully I will have the money lined up for it I know I won't waste even a second negotiating. Its too great a risk for me to walk away thinking I am being a smart alec negotiator. For me that door will open once and I better make sure the car gets loaded onto a truck headed my doorway!

All this is assuming you are not a speculator but an enthusiast who deeply desires what he is looking at. Obviously if I don't have the money the owner demands I will atleast know I couldn't afford it in the first place.
Old 18th July 2009, 15:19   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I gained as to me the fact that he was willing to part with the car was a golden opportunity and I didn't think it necessary to negotiate.

So the bottomline is, if you like what you see and the owner is willing to sell and you have the money, ask once and if the owner doesn't budge just buy it. I have known many cases where people thought they were being smart asses in negotiating only to find the car sold to someone else at an even higher price.

For me that door will open once and I better make sure the car gets loaded onto a truck headed my doorway!

All this is assuming you are not a speculator but an enthusiast who deeply desires what he is looking at.
Very well said, couldn't agree less.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you ajay99 it is important not to take shortcuts especially if one is keen to ensure it is valuable & accurate in the future even if one is never really interested in selling. I see a lot of owners here who defend price appreciation and talk about scarcity in the future and they have a right to but cutting corners on restoration and expecting market to accept quantum price increases is like I want the cake and want to eat it to thinking

I for one feel if you qoute for a great price or feel that what market is asking is justified you must have a great vehicle. Let me give you an example my friend Fayaz Chaganmitha bought a beat up VW beetle in 1998, he then flew to the US and bought every imaginable part (enkie wheels, custom steering wheel, free flow muffler, dual carbs, special cams, all rubber biddings, door trim the works) that was one fantistic car. Anoop Thakoor - Carera Motors my buddy put it together with AC, Recaro seats, hifi she was hot with cherry apple red paint) spent close to 6 lacs + (today worth 12 lacs) on her in late 90's and used her like hell we all used her . He finally sold her in Pune for 6 lacs between 01 to 03 (she needed a new paint job & overall). Short of the long he spent real money on that car and she deserved more than what he got. So point is great cars should get great prices mediocre cars can't expect to piggy ride

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st July 2009 at 19:08. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you ajay99 it is important not to take shortcuts especially if one is keen to ensure it is valuable & accurate in the future even if one is never really interested in selling. I see a lot of owners here who defend price appreciation and talk about scarcity in the future and they have a right to but cutting corners on restoration and expecting market to accept quantum price increases is like I want the cake and want to eat it to thinking

I for one feel if you qoute for a great price or feel that what market is asking is justified you must have a great vehicle. Let me give you an example my friend Fayaz Chaganmitha bought a beat up VW beetle in 1998, he then flew to the US and bought every imaginable part (enkie wheels, custom steering wheel, free flow muffler, dual carbs, special cams, all rubber biddings, door trim the works) that was one fantistic car. Anoop Thakoor - Carera Motors my buddy put it together with AC, Recaro seats, hifi she was hot with cherry apple red paint) spent close to 6 lacs + (today worth 12 lacs) on her in late 90's and used her like hell we all used her . He finally sold her in Pune for 6 lacs between 01 to 03 (she needed a new paint job & overall). Short of the long he spent real money on that car and she deserved more than what he got. So point is great cars should get great prices mediocre cars can't expect to piggy ride
but canonballji,but there is no point of people like you and me talking about the importance of genuine/nos spares because, many people want to make a ''budget'' restoration and claim a ''astronomical'' price which only a concourse car may fetch.But unfortunately,there are a lot of gullible wannabe vintage car owners who dont know the difference between these and fall prey to it.The budget restorer laughs his way to the bank '''dreaming'' about his next restoration
PS: by the way a NOS GENUINE VW Muffler (german) will cost around Rs.12000/- while a fabricated one can be made for as less as Rs.1500/-
see the difference.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:20   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
see the difference.
Well there is another difference. What "I" call a Genuine Enthusiast. Others can call us selfish, morons, patron saint or fools. A person who has his heart and his wallet to think about while restoring his/her automobile of choice. Because its his/her choice only.

We buy it for ourselves. To drive it around to feel proud about owning one. To work on it. To get the satisfaction of achievement. We dont care what the moneyed collector who has overflowing wallets thinks about our ride. We dont care if others look at it as not being complete in every aspect. We dont care if it does not have NOS parts. We will look at restoration as long as our wallets can manage. We are not looking for perfection or concourse level of restoration. We are not looking at making money out of it. We do not want to exaggerate the worth. We are not the second hand car dealer down the road.

We believe no ones perfect and prefer it that way.

I restore, i drive it and i spend on it. I am ok with that.

Last edited by Spitfire : 21st July 2009 at 15:23.
Old 21st July 2009, 16:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire nor do you go around fighting or defending 10L baywindows do you? Spitfire you are the epitom of a great simple down to earth real enthusiast and genuine car collector
Old 21st July 2009, 22:34   #24
BANNED

Thanks for the kind words sir. But only this part is true.

Quote:
simple down to earth real enthusiast
Nothing more.

I am now left only with a Sunbeam S7.

@MODS: Guys you had to move my post to this thread of all the 2000+ threads on this forum. I was staying out of this one
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

I believe that negotiating on Vintage and classic cars is totally personal and it depends how much you want the automobile in your collection.Im a pure collector and would not negotiate much,if i decided i wanted the automobile in my collection.
Last thing i want is a regret that it has gone out of my hand.
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:23   #26
BHPian

Just came to know today that a Left hand drive Fiat 125S was sold for Rs 50,000 last week in Chennai.
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:22   #27
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod

Enough is enough - am cleaning up the thread. Relevant posts deleted
Old 25th July 2009, 20:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
A restored Chevrolet Fleetmaster 1947 is available for sale in Delhi. For further details kindly contact the owner Mr.Maneesh Mansingka - 09810021850
contacted the guy, as can be expected of Delhi cars priced too high perhaps not to sell!!!
jatti saab,you could do a favour by mentioning the price here in the forum itself,so that others can avoid troubling the seller
Old 25th July 2009, 21:53   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
contacted the guy, as can be expected of Delhi cars priced too high perhaps not to sell!!!
jatti saab,you could do a favour by mentioning the price here in the forum itself,so that others can avoid troubling the seller
Whenever it comes to classics / vintages the prices are always and "ALWAYS" subjective.

You cant tell one price is low or high.It is between the buyer and the seller to decide weather the price is too high or low.

Whatever price you feel is high might be an OK or a good price for somebody else.

That Chevy Fleetmaster is pleasing on the eyes, would love to hold my hands on such cars someday Thank you Jatti saab for letting us know its available.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You cant tell one price is low or high.It is between the buyer and the seller to decide weather the price is too high or low.

Whatever price you feel is high might be an OK or a good price for somebody else.

Where have I heard this one before

Ajay I think soon it will become illegal on this forum to quote prices one is seeing as high. or even say something is expensive. There seems to be subtle effort on the part of some to netralise anything on price if on the lower side. Its like the conspiracy theory, God forbid any of us were on a realestate forum builders would have us bumped of by now.

I just happened to visit and low and be hold it just wont stop

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th July 2009 at 16:54. Reason: fixed quote

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks