Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:37   #46
BHPian

Recently i had met one such unrealistic seller who had a 54 bullet as he claimed it to be, without any papers, to give him a quotation in a sealed envelope. The point is that the whole thing sounded so ridiculous and i dont see anything wrong in being critical about the thought or the idea
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead and be critical but not to the extent of calling the seller a fool or something similar. All i am saying is its his car and he has the right o ask whatever he seems fit. If the price is high the car won't sell and if he actually needs to sell he might lower his price.

One is free to make a counter offer but going on to ridicule the seller is not in good taste. Nor is it in good taste to discuss prices of a car that the seller has not posted himself like was being done here in the case of this MB.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

I would say each one to his own some people chose some way of dealing some people chose another.I know of a few people selling the cars by showing pictures.They refuse to show you the car.once you have made the payment then you are aloowed to see it.But this dosen't mean that we call such people fools or something.

There is no fixed rate list for vinatge or classic cars.The price is decided between the owner and seller wheather high or low.We are nobody to criticize anybody publically.No one would like their names to be in public with such things attched to it.We are here to help each other and criticise but put it in a positive way.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:05   #49
BHPian

This is a forum for everything automobile and this thread is especially dedicated to purchase and sale of vintage and classics. If you do not want discussions on quoted prices, you are severely limiting the usefulness of this thread.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abybabykcc View Post
This is a forum for everything automobile and this thread is especially dedicated to purchase and sale of vintage and classics. If you do not want discussions on quoted prices, you are severely limiting the usefulness of this thread.

I never mentioned that we shouldn't dicuss about prices.I just said no one should make fun of the people who as for high prices.That's what i said.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:50   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
I made the offer and have been laughed off...
What are you guys cribbing about the seller been laughed and loled at??? The seller here himself laughed at the buyer who quoted a reasonable price.

Now what do you guys have to say? Its ok to laugh at the buyer but not the seller?

You get back what you give. And let me at this.

EDIT: A newbie in this line gets a lot of these jeers and gets joked at by the sellers. We all know this for a fact so when trying to be nice to people let it be a accepted mutual behavior.

Last edited by Spitfire : 24th September 2009 at 12:02.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:50   #52
BHPian

Guys. This discussion isn't really going anywhere, let's agree to disagree and move on. When its an opinion, in my experience I've seen that opinions are formed over a period of time with experience, hence neither one is wrong or for that matter right (either). Its what you feel.

Let's respect that others have an opinion that is not in line with what you think and focus on what we have in our locus of control i.e. Classics that can be bought or are for sale!

Let's get some tolerance towards views that may not be the same as what we believe in.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

Duke whilst I respect your effort I have something to say.

Wasif bandra is quoted at 15 to 22K/sqft in the news papers are you telling me builders are taking more than 22k/sqft? Please understand builders don't publish and vice versa. BTW flats in bandra west near carter road are going for 12 to 17K they were quoting 20+ a year and half ago.

Spitfire bang on man buyers can be called fools sellers no no no they are gods gift. This is all insecure & closed bent of mind attitude none of these guys will ever sell but feel rubbed the wrong way if any seller is made fun of does not befit grown mature people if you ask me. Folks don't get me wrong I hate a cheapo in a buyer but I think India has a major license raj hangover which is once again being exibited here. Let the science, depth, and detail orientation do the job of pricing not touchy feely stuff. Mr. Wasif if these cars are few/rare and we are coming from an era of scarcity let there be a logical element of premium on pricing them not put anything that comes to mind and follow a herd mentality like we are known for in India.

People like you should be contributing to creat the clariety not encouraging vagueness, secrecy, and ambiguity who knows you may be creating a legacy and not just sleeping thinking my collection is so valuable na? What say sirs?

Last edited by canonball : 24th September 2009 at 16:36.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Here is a START -

All stalwarts here please note this is not a forum for profit this is a platform for exchange and transparency where everyone is equal. It should be your resonsibility being seniors in the vintage car scene to creat a method to all this. I am surprised that the wealth of people and intelligence we have here has still not done this. Spitfire did the best thing he listed out so many variables that we can creat a guide here.

Can we have some agreed variables by which cars can be valued. Please list as many as you can come up with thx

Last edited by canonball : 24th September 2009 at 16:37.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Here is a START -

All stalwarts here please note this is not a forum for profit this is a platform for exchange and transparency where everyone is equal. It should be your resonsibility being seniors in the vintage car scene to creat a method to all this. I am surprised that the wealth of people and intelligence we have here has still not done this. Spitfire did the best thing he listed out so many variables that we can creat a guide here.

Can we have some agreed variables by which cars can be valued. Please list as many as you can come up with thx
Is this actually going to help anyone. Are you going to print them and show them to sellers and demand that they sell accordingly.

How naive can you guys get. This is not a buiness governed by regular variables its about passion. how can you quantify this.

And my dear Cannonball ther you go again contradicting yourself. You were the one who stated that builders publish the prices for property and now you have stated the exact opposite and are now saying they don't publish.

Is that "12 to 17K" to be paid iby check or is ther a break up of cash and check.

Regardign the pricing you are again wrong. I maintain that a seller can ask what he wants but I have also stated that if teh asking brice is high then the car will not sell.

You don't seem to be able to comprehend this.

Where have I encouraged vagueness and secracy. All I am saying is that sellers have the right to ask for whatever price they seem fit thats all. Now this might be unreasonably high so all that is going to happen is that the car will not sell period then he might reduce the price.

Did I ever say the buyer has to pay what price is being demanded by the seller,. I have said the buyer can make an offer which again is up to the seller to accept or he can buy elsewhere.

And lastly to conclude I don't have a collection that I am trying to protect. How can one jump to such conclusions without any basis.

Last edited by wasif : 24th September 2009 at 17:21.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:34   #56
BANNED

How are Classic Cars valued abroad?

I have no idea how it is done, but have read about insurance valuations and other pointers used by sellers to sell their classics.

Or is it a disorganised market like ours where a hand full of people call the shots.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:57   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
How naive can you guys get. This is not a buiness governed by regular variables its about passion. how can you quantify this.
The market stopped being one driven by passion. Its now all hard cash. Its about trying to get as much as possible out of a buyer by coming up with bad attitude and unheard of demand.

The passion is there but sadly not for the cars. The passion you talk about is lost. Its another of those businesses where either you are from the inner circle or your are an outsider. Hoarding cars and tagging them with unrealistic demands.

There are still some fine gentleman out there who still understand the passion. People who are not selling a car but creating a relationship with the buyer. They won't sell it to anyone and everyone who lands with sack loads of money at their gate. But now this is what is ultimately creates a deal. Money and only money. Passion has no place here.

The naive and the passionate like us don't get this part and so are trying to come up with something that would keep the passion and the interest alive and not make it another business like real estate. I have given up and am out of it.

Could one today pay money by looking at the pictures send by a seller? This used to happen before. Can anyone do that unless the seller is a close friend or if you have dealt with him/her before.

Last edited by Spitfire : 24th September 2009 at 18:03.
Old 24th September 2009, 19:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Okay Lets do a simple excercise, to determine what logic goes into pricing a car. This could be fun also educative.

Each one of you value the Merc posted as if you were the seller (assuming you understand Ponton models well!)

Starting with cannonball.

Last edited by the mole : 24th September 2009 at 19:48.
Old 24th September 2009, 19:55   #59
Senior - BHPian

What can I say but that this is so sad to hear that you guys take this old car hobby as a business. Thats the tragedy of the whole thing that is not letting you see what me and others are saying. Its obvious you want to buy and collect with only one object to make money off of it.

I suggest trying the stock market and leave old cars to those who actually have the passion for them.

Now regarding whether you can still buy a car after seeing a picture of it I believe there are some individuals on this very forum that actually have bought from pic and are still doing just that and paying a negotiated price for it and are happy with the outcome. i will leave it to them to talk about this if they so desire.
Old 24th September 2009, 20:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What can I say but that this is so sad to hear that you guys take this old car hobby as a business. Thats the tragedy of the whole thing that is not letting you see what me and others are saying. Its obvious you want to buy and collect with only one object to make money off of it.

I suggest trying the stock market and leave old cars to those who actually have the passion for them.

Now regarding whether you can still buy a car after seeing a picture of it I believe there are some individuals on this very forum that actually have bought from pic and are still doing just that and paying a negotiated price for it and are happy with the outcome. i will leave it to them to talk about this if they so desire.
please elaborate who exactly are the ""guys'' and who are the ''Others"'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks