Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 01:44   #286
BHPian

Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The car you are referring to is a 1954 Plymouth Belvedere convertible and its now with my uncle here in Hyderabad. There's a picture of it somewhere here but can't locate it for you

Do please share more details with pictures of the history of this car. Did your Dad buy it new?
Hello DKG,
Sorry to bother you again , was wondering if you could share some details of your uncle with the 1954 Playmoth. Does he stll have the car.
You could e mail me on dhallsingh@gmail.com
Old 20th February 2017, 21:46   #287
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
Hello DKG,
Sorry to bother you again , was wondering if you could share some details of your uncle with the 1954 Playmoth. Does he stll have the car.
You could e mail me on dhallsingh@gmail.com
The car is still with him
Old 21st March 2017, 21:12   #288

Triumph Tiger 100 regn MYB 1046 ... This was owned in the family till the 1970 in Bangalore. And sold to an owner in Mysore. Wherever this bike is I am looking for it. Pls let ms know if you see it anywhere. Moderators can we have a section with an indexed catalog where we can look up lost and found cars and motorcycles.
rfenandoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 20:53   #289
BHPian

Re: Classic Cars available for purchase

Does any fellow BHPian know about a 1949 Morris Minor Convertible KLR 2579 which was last seen in Palakkad (Palghat), Kerala in the 1970s. The car is there in the MVD Kerala website but not active. So it has been scrapped / left Kerala / or is lying somewhere not in use. A Facebook friend told me that it was in Palakkad till recently but now sold to someone in Kozhikode (Calicut). The car belonged to us till 1960 and after we sold it, it has been following us wherever we went, my father was in MV Dept and used to be transferred within Kerala! My mother who was extremely fond of the car and was unhappy it was sold, had an early unnatural death in 1960. Is it a mere coincidence that the car is following us? And I am in Kozhikode now! Here is an old photo of the car with me inside, taken in 1958, at Kozhikode.
Attached Thumbnails
Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-old_0033.jpg  

singer_1948 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 18:59   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer_1948 View Post
Does any fellow BHPian know about a 1949 Morris Minor Convertible KLR 2579 which was last seen in Palakkad (Palghat), Kerala in the 1970s. The car is there in the MVD Kerala website but not active. So it has been scrapped / left Kerala / or is lying somewhere not in use. A Facebook friend told me that it was in Palakkad till recently but now sold to someone in Kozhikode (Calicut). .
if you know the chassis number of the car you can know the address of the last owner as per MVD records.But if the car is active as somebody has told you there is every likelihood that the present owner will try to clear off the tax dues in this car as per the tax waiver scheme which is currently on and the records updated
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:51   #291
BHPian

Thanks, Ajay. I have checked the MVD records using the Regn No, but as I mentioned earlier, the car is in the site but all the Tax Details are indicating "Not Available". So what would have happened could be as follows. When the MVD went for computerisation possibly in the 2000s, the car would already have been off the roads. In this case the data entry guys of MVD would just enter the bare minimum data and left it like that. As per the MVD records, the car is owned by NIMAR PILLAI V w.e.f. 01-Jan-1949 at RTO Trivandrum who possibly was the original owner. I know the car finally landed in Palghat in the late 1960s or 1970 but possibly the owner would not have requested for a change of address at the Palghat RTO as is required legally. So the data entry guys must have entered the data available in the records. I know the car was bought by my dad (who was then Asst Motor Vehicles Inspector of Malabar District) in end 1957 or early 1958 from a Police Inspector in Thrissur. I have requested the Facebook friend (a vintage car collector in Palakkad) who said that the car is in Palakkad to send me the details of the previous owner in Palakkad or curent owner in Calicut. But he did not respond. So one possibility is that the car was bought by someone in Calicut without the papers (just for car collection only) as there could be inheritance issues if the owner died leaving several legal heirs who have property inheritance issues! I have always loved this car and wanted to own it but the sudden interest is due to some information I received 4 years ago about my mother's unnatural and untimely demise in 1960.
Old 4th July 2017, 19:33   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Ajay. I have checked the MVD records using the Regn No, but as I mentioned earlier, the car is in the site but all the Tax Details are indicating "Not Available". So what would have happened could be as follows. When the MVD went for computerisation possibly in the 2000s, the car would already have been off the roads. In this case the data entry guys of MVD would just enter the bare minimum data and left it like that. As per the MVD records, the car is owned by NIMAR PILLAI V w.e.f. 01-Jan-1949 at RTO Trivandrum who possibly was the original owner. I know the car finally landed in Palghat in the late 1960s or 1970 but possibly the owner would not have requested for a change of address at the Palghat RTO as is required legally. So the data entry guys must have entered the data available in the records. I know the car was bought by my dad (who was then Asst Motor Vehicles Inspector of Malabar District) in end 1957 or early 1958 from a Police Inspector in Thrissur. I have requested the Facebook friend (a vintage car collector in Palakkad) who said that the car is in Palakkad to send me the details of the previous owner in Palakkad or curent owner in Calicut. But he did not respond. So one possibility is that the car was bought by someone in Calicut without the papers (just for car collection only) as there could be inheritance issues if the owner died leaving several legal heirs who have property inheritance issues! I have always loved this car and wanted to own it but the sudden interest is due to some information I received 4 years ago about my mother's unnatural and untimely demise in 1960.
that possibility is remote, because even for collection purpose ,normally one doesn't keep a car without a registration number on it.There is another 1949 Morris minor tourer in Palghat which was for sale and probably that could have been the one your friend must have seen.That is why he has not responded.
Old 4th July 2017, 20:40   #293
BHPian

If you are talking about a pink coloured MM tourer in Palghat with MSZ registration, it belongs to my FB friend. If it is some other car you were referring to, then maybe you could be right.
But I know it is a common practice for somebody interested in vintage cars to keep such cars without Registration Certificate lying in a dilapidated condition. Later somebody will buy and repair it, then they will buy the Registration Cert of a similar scrapped car from the scrapyard (usually Bangalore), punch that car's Engine No. and Chassis No. in the repaired car and go for registration renewal with the scrapped car's no. with cooked up documents. I believe that in the recent past a Series 1 Morris 8 tourer got a new life like that in Kozhikode. It was repaired by a workshop owner who is well known for such practices and I know that the car did not have any papers as it originally belonged to a friend of mine.
Old 5th July 2017, 10:47   #294
BHPian

One correction, the colour of the MSZ Registration MM in Palghat is maroon and not pink
Old 5th July 2017, 19:30   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are talking about a pink coloured MM tourer in Palghat with MSZ registration, it belongs to my FB friend. If it is some other car you were referring to, then maybe you could be right.
But I know it is a common practice for somebody interested in vintage cars to keep such cars without Registration Certificate lying in a dilapidated condition. Later somebody will buy and repair it, then they will buy the Registration Cert of a similar scrapped car from the scrapyard (usually Bangalore), punch that car's Engine No. and Chassis No. in the repaired car and go for registration renewal with the scrapped car's no. with cooked up documents. I believe that in the recent past a Series 1 Morris 8 tourer got a new life like that in Kozhikode. It was repaired by a workshop owner who is well known for such practices and I know that the car did not have any papers as it originally belonged to a friend of mine.
I think I very well know that Morris 8 tourer.the workshop you are mentioning is by a guy whose name starts with "S''??. But most such vehicles history will be known in the vintage circle.There was one jinxed MMtourer in Central kerala which went to several owners in and out of the state,like that
Old 6th July 2017, 00:18   #296
BHPian

Exactly. Mr "S" has a knack for swindling people out of their hard earned money. People, especially novices get carried away by his talk and before they realise, their money is in his hands! I believe he had used the same technique for Austin Sevens and Morris Minors in the past.
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:20   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

My FB friend Dr Avinash Gujrathi wanted to know if anyone knows the wehreabouts of the 1963/64 two door Phantom Grey, Standard Herald regn. no. MSS 161, that his father owned. They had sold the car, but he is still in awe of the Standard Herald.

Any news will be welcome.
Old 10th February 2018, 14:22   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Abhishek Kushte posted this

Quote:
Anyone knows the whereabouts of a 1954 Bel-Air (4 door) bearing registration number BMC 6217 ?

Belonged to one of relatives & was apparently sold in 1970's
Picture of the car clicked at Khandala

Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-27545539_1793775510675391_4907066493072866570_n.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 17:20   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Some weeks back a gentleman Mr. Biswas had been posting on various facebook groups looking for his old family Fiat, registration number WBD 8733. No more details were know.

By a sheer quirk of fate, a couple of weeks back I was in Delhi in the superb Heritage Transport Museum in Delhi, and glancing through some archival material, I came across this piece

Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-wbd.jpg

This was a really cool coincidence. Turns out the same car (before Mr. Biswas's family bought it) was used in some reliabilty / endurance trials, in this case by the Auto Distributors Ltd, Fiat dealers, in a 730 mile 25 hour challenge.

What are the odds! Only on TBHP

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th March 2018 at 17:53.
karlosdeville is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:30   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The car is still with him
Hi DKG,
Sorry to get back so late , just realised my e mail address was missing a word . Its dhallisingh@gmail.com
Was woundering if you can share details of your uncle in Hyderabad who has the playmoth as it belonged to my father earlier. Would appreciate any information regarding the car.
Thank you,
Regards,
Singh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks