Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Another nice Austin 10 convertible seen in the rally.
APX 1225 is Keval Kant Girs baby.

The yellow Buick Convertible is indeed one of two with Rashid Bhai. He used to lend one of them out to friends for wedding and the paint was destroyed with numerous marks made by sticking take applied to it to hold flowers.

DKG if I am not mistaken one of the convertibles belonged to your family too. I recollect Kewal talking about it several times.

I thought both of Rashid Bhai's convertibles were Roadmasters ?
Old 24th October 2009, 13:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Since so many Hyderabad Austins are being shown, perhaps someone will recognize these, they are supposedly ex-Hyderabad, one had an APX reg. no.
Calling on DKG, Vintagepoint5, Wasif, for your comments.
No idea how that Masa Castrol sticker came on the fender.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-austin-7-seat.jpg  

Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-austin-6-hyd.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 24th October 2009 at 13:43.
Old 24th October 2009, 18:33   #93
Senior - BHPian

Harit.

The green Austing in teh first picture is on eof the two such cars that I had mentioned were lying in the old cith side by side.

They were both Limos. No idea about the second car.

BTW are these with you now ?
Old 26th October 2009, 11:29   #94
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
DKG if I am not mistaken one of the convertibles belonged to your family too. I recollect Kewal talking about it several times.
How I wish that were true !! My father has had two Buicks, a 47 and later a 48 Super but never a convertible. There's a high likelihood one of his cars is from Badrivishal Pittie.

Quote:
I thought both of Rashid Bhai's convertibles were Roadmasters ?
My eyesight fails me but in the picture do we see a "super" script in that small red label in the bumper guard? I don't know for sure whether both the cars are roadmasters or one is a super
Old 26th October 2009, 12:08   #95
BHPian

Since so many Hyderabad Austins are being shown, perhaps someone will recognize these

I don't know about these 2 Austins, but still there are some Austins in Hyd lying to be discovered. One Mr. Habib, I heard have unique big Austin like limousine, few years back I had seen one old Packard sedan with him which needs full restoration at that time. I heard afterwards it was sold and moved to Bangalore. One more big Austin I had seen few years in the house while going to Ritz hotel, this is also special Austin convertible with all luxurious design, opening trays for rear passengers from front seat. Never seen afterwards, it seems to be early models of Austins.

From the recent discoveries of Austin, I think in Hyd lot of good Austin cars came to Hyd. In one Austin, engine bay I saw old plate: written "Prabhakar & Co. distributor of Austin, Secunderabad,. 1933". Sohrab Brothers showroom on Troop bazar road is also used to old cars showroom as per my father.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:05   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
One possibly interesting flash,IPS officer named Chaudhari,saw my car outside the house, was at the Polyclinic next door,met me, gave me a list of cars in the north, a list he had compiled sending his officers out all over scouting for finds, before anyone asks, no idea what happened to the list. He was the guy who arrested Phoolan Devi, read that he was awol and suspended from duty later,owned a Bentley himself.
Quote:
Sorry, amendment to my previous post, IPS guy was Chaturvedi,not Chaudhari.
The police officer was SP of the district of Bhind at the time of Phoolan Devi's arrest, or surrender (?) and retired as Additional DGP subsequently, settled in Bhopal. Won't get in to more details of his life and go - am sure there's enough 'masala' available on the www for those interested. Regarding the cars, he sold the Bentley MK VI and a Jaguar MK V (if I remember the Mks right) to a dealer from Delhi, two-three years ago. Wasn't the easiest of deals to conclude, I heard. One of the cars originally came from his wife's family, if I memory serves me right.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:26   #97
BHPian

Hi Prabal, thanks for the info on the Bentley/Jag sales, did you by any chance come into contact with the gentleman in question as well and receive an impressive list of cars from him?
Regards.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:40   #98
BHPian

No sir, I haven't met him in person and hence never privy to the list either!
Old 20th November 2009, 13:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karlos,since some of the cars we have discussed do qualify for the rust in pieces thread, hope you will forgive us our trespasses.
Packard , when in Khushroo Baug was unpainted, primer only.
The Y series MG with Vakil later is the one offered to me by a broker from Pune who wanted to take me to Kolhapur? to buy it from one of the owners of Archies(Pune). Foolishly declined at 35k.
Hi again Harit, still neck deep in swimming, also the reason I dont live in Bombay anymore and part of the reason why there was little time or money to indulge my passion for cars all these years.
To answer in brief
Alfa+Jag could have been held by lawyer. You are probably right about metallic hardtop.
Owner of wire wheel Jag was with Air India,initials B.C.
Jag mk2 guilty though yet uncharged, turn myself in!
Allard, I think I remember now, asked the driver of the car whose it was, he said and I may be wrong, that it had been lying unused for a long time, son of the owner had come back from abroad and woud be using it, not for sale,also remember now fuel feed was bottle held up by guy sitting next to him pipe directly to carb, maybe tank was rotten or pump had failed.Never saw it again.
Remembered MG TC Red Nepean Sea Road prominent marwari family owned. Who also had Bharatput 20HP Rolls and Ford A Roadster
Also silver Jag XK120 seen at Gowalia tank several times Now in Delhi and another XK at Altamount Road opp -----?Kutir, one more parked covered at Hotel Kemps Corner where the BMW's now stand. both the same car, now in Breach Candy and in deeeep distress
Had you heard of XK in Ooty with engine opened up? That has shifted, likely Indore but not sure
By the way where is the guy who called himself, if I remember correctly, Bhalerao Motorwala, also now Sai baba came to my house one day with a photo album of several of the cars seen at the Cartier show (or their twins) and more like them, all supposedly for sale at exorbitant prices for that time? Did you not take the bait? How clever. When you told him that a particular car belongs to XYZ, he would say " I know that, but I am offering a car just like that".
Bye.
I have replied in bold.
One car of which I cannot get any info now is a beautiful Lanchester and a Rolls which were kept in Darshan apartments, off NS Road. Wonderful car, having Lanchester owners club stickers, seen rarely on road, and when she came out she more often than not failed. This was slightly before the cars we are talking about in previous threads. I doubt that it was the same Pratapgarh car.
Go on.

Cheers harit
ps karl, shifting the thread with quote worked. Thanks

Last edited by harit : 20th November 2009 at 13:36.
Old 20th November 2009, 15:20   #100
BHPian

Hi Harit,
No knowlege on the other Lanchester/Rolls at NS Road, but will ask my uncle when I am next in Bombay if he knew of one.However, was told about a Lanchester with a Parsi family in Mhow ,years ago which you must be aware of.
Luckily for me all the cars offered by Bhalerao were way too pricey for me, so it went no further than looking at the photos.
By the way, Corvette in old bungalow,I think it's the only bungalow left but grounds now reduced for road widening, NS Road, royal family owned,in garage?
Bye.
Old 20th November 2009, 15:55   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Harit,
No knowlege on the other Lanchester/Rolls at NS Road, but will ask my uncle when I am next in Bombay if he knew of one. However, was told about a Lanchester with a Parsi family in Mhow, years ago which you must be aware of. 7 seater Limo, but now where?
Luckily for me all the cars offered by Bhalerao were way too pricey for me, so it went no further than looking at the photos.
By the way, Corvette in old bungalow,I think it's the only bungalow left but grounds now reduced for road widening, NS Road, royal family owned,in garage? Corvette somehow landed in Delhi with collector who does not own it. It was in a society, in the basement, not bungalow. There is only one known pre 1960 Corvette in India belonging to a state which was affected by an earthquacke some years ago.
Bye.
BTW, if possible would like to meet your uncle too. Have photos to share, maybe he can identify the Parsis and their cars.

Cheers harit
Old 21st November 2009, 12:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
WOW After a real long time things here are getting interesting again.

Harit and the gent with the numerical ID do please keep on with this discussion. If anyone would be able to add pics of the cars being discueed it would be a great addition.
Well, I thought that I would post a picture of the Hupmobile talked about. That was one of the first cars I had heard about when I was still in college. It was missing the grill and possibly the engine, which have been sourced from Australia as told to me by a previous owner. She was in Shirdi with some temple or religious institution and came to Mr. Kadam in Khar.
The photo is courtsey xoticars taken from gearhead.in
http://*************/classics-genera...s-t349-30.html
Attached Thumbnails
Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-hupmobile.jpg  

Old 21st November 2009, 13:22   #103
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I was told the Corvette in Delhi is ex Kishangarh?
Old 21st November 2009, 13:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I was told the Corvette in Delhi is ex Kishangarh?
Kutch, but not "ex" There seems to be a story here.

Where have you been all these days?

Cheers harit
Old 8th December 2009, 01:27   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Most of us here have had some car or bike that we were very attached to or have had fond memories of as we grew up. More often than not these vehicles were disposed off as and when they became impractical to keep using. I myself have often hoped that I could come across these cars in the present day.

I propose we take advantage of the vast reach of this forum to try and track down cars we have been looking for.

To begin with from my side here is a list of cars we have had in the (extended) family over the years that I wonder if anybody else has seen of late.

1935 Standard 10 BMW 2699 (Black, Bombay. Sold in 60s.)
1940s Wolseley BMY 6244 (Black, Bombay, sold in 60s.)
1948 Studebaker Champion BMZ 3482 (originally black and then it was repainted Grey. Poona.)
1948 Buick Super BYK 555 (two tone beige and brown)
1948 Standard 8 BYF 8789 (Black, Probably Pandharpur.)
1949 Austin A40 UPR 4949 (Kanpur, then Poona.)
1952 Dodge BMU 3198 (grey and repainted Dark Blue, Poona)
1952 Hillman Minx WBC 8781 (lime green, Calcutta)
1955 Standard 10 BYH 1997 (Black, sold in 1959, Poona)
1957 Plymouth Savoy MHP 970 (Black, Poona) (Earlier number KLR 381, bought from some American missionaries in Kerela.)
1959 (?) BMF 5777 Black Standard Super 10 (Poona.)
1962 Standard Herald MSW 7662 (Dark blue and white, Madras. Sold in 60s.)
1962 Fiat 1100 MRX 8212 - (Black, Bombay/Poona, sold in 73, probably scrapped)
1962 Standard Companion DLI 628 (Black, Delhi, then Poona.)
1962 Fiat MRY 2107 (Beige and repainted Black, Bombay)
1962 (?) Ambassador KLE 1259 (Black, Cochin).
1964 Ambassador MHY 780 (Blue, Bombay)
1964 Standard Herald MRD 5893 (Dark blue, Bombay)
1965 Fiat MHP 3583 (Blue with white top. Poona, sold in early 80s.)
1967 Standard Herald MHJ 1074 (light blue, painted white after being sold in mid 80s)
1967 (?) Ambassador Mk2 WBJ 2352 (Calcutta)
1971 Fiat MHI 3793
1971 Fiat MHI 3811 (Poona, one was white and the other was light green)

Looking forward to additions from you guys to this list from family elders, photos etc.
Great Thread.I was wondering if anyone has seen or know about a 1959 Plymouth Convertible DLI 888.It belonged to my father and he sold it in mid 80s in Jamshedpur.It was in two tone,Red and Black and then the person who bought it painted it white.Last heard of it was sold to someone in Gujarat.Would love to get it back into the family again. HELP. Regards SINGH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks