Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 10:12   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Check out this site for wonderful pictures and clips of cars in India (and the Empire):
www.imagesofempire.com; and search for cars
A superb site indeed. I think we were introduced to it by Julian, these pictures of the Voisin and others (I remember a Viceroy's Rolls) have been posted earlier as well.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
British colonist Noel Stokes sits in his Avion Voisin car as he prepares to embark on a journey along the Grand Trunk Road from Calcutta to Ranchi. Calcutta (Kolkata), India, June 1932.
So where is she today ????
Probably lost. If she was found in the 1960's, she may have been exported. Many are hunting for this

BTW, registration seems Calcutta alright, just 5 numbers.

Cheers harit
Old 15th August 2009, 06:02   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
While the rear axle breaking down is common to Heralds, it is prone to breaking more often in cars that have had the rear of the chassis bent or misaligned at the joint where the rear axle sits, esp. if the car has gone over a rough spot on the road (viz. ditches, speedbreakers) with severe impact. For this the chassis would need to be "throwed" and realigned. My mech. told me of quite a few cases where they had to do it on Heralds back in the day.

But primarily I understand IT happens because of the rather flimsy 3-piece arrangement of the half-shaft flange on either side with the diff. joined with mere bolts, which couldn't withstand the vibrations caused by driving on our rough roads. On other cars with the rigid axle cum diff., it is unlikely to happen.

BTW, I notice nearly all MP reg'd vehicles are re-reg'd with newer numbers despite being in MP. Would you know why it is so? Something to do with re-creation/realigning of states or such?
The 4 Bolts holding the rear shaft flanges used to shear off if the bolts have play in the holes. It happened to me while driving from Bangalore to Guruvayoor in my Standard Herald. The bolts on one of the shaft flange sets sheared off near Dharmapuri. Got new bolts fixed and was back on the road within an hour and reached Guruvayoor without any further problems. When contacted the workshop, the mechanic told me that it is a regular practice to the spot weld the 2 sets of flanges along the edges after fixing the bolts to avoid the same problem. When the need arises, the spots were grounded off and the flanges separated. Never had any problems since.
Old 16th August 2009, 13:30   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea where is BML 9913 today? Dodge Kingsway, 1957. I would see it in Pune opp. Wadia College for years as a kid, never saw it move. One day I saw it on the road, never saw it again.

Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-king.jpg
Old 4th October 2009, 23:36   #65

1950 Studebaker Champion - BML 8117

This was my Father's car, sold in Bomaby in 1968 or 1969. Originally green, it was blue with a green interior when sold. I believe that it was sold to someone who lived outside Bombay but cannot be sure of that.

Sadly, I have no pictures of the car.

I would love find out what happened to this car and see it again! Knowing a lot more Studebaker history now, I am most curious as to what the car actually was, a 1950 (interior & dashboard) or 1951 (front grille)
Old 5th October 2009, 00:33   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Any idea where is BML 9913 today? Dodge Kingsway, 1957. I would see it in Pune opp. Wadia College for years as a kid, never saw it move. One day I saw it on the road, never saw it again.
Quite a lot of oil stain under the car- I suspect it was dieselised as well?

And here's a 1959 Austin Cambridge A55 mk2 Farina that I'd once seen in Madras on 15th Aug. 2001. It was parked by the roadside alongside the Royapettah flyover.

Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-img_3678.jpg

I then saw another pic. of the same car with white plates but laid up at a garage, in a flickr album:

Wesley's Catch on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Despite the date shown on the photo, the photo owner said he'd taken it in 2006. So that makes sense. He said that it later disappeared from this spot.

Madras bhpians: does this car seem familiar to any of y'all there? If so, anyone who knows it's current status?
Old 21st October 2009, 03:13   #67
BHPian

Buick or Cadillac

Photograph this car in Banjara Hills few years back. Looks like Buick (Silver City 1940) don't remember now, sorry for the quality of pic. It was in very good condition and nice paint. Perhaps DKG knows the owner, they also have Rolls seen few years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-p035.jpg  

Old 21st October 2009, 03:45   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Photograph this car in Banjara Hills few years back. Looks like Buick (Silver City 1940) don't remember now, sorry for the quality of pic. It was in very good condition and nice paint. Perhaps DKG knows the owner, they also have Rolls seen few years back.
Does the licence plate say "Janjira-XX" ? That may give a clue to its royal past. Cheers
Old 21st October 2009, 09:03   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Photograph this car in Banjara Hills few years back. Looks like Buick (Silver City 1940) don't remember now, sorry for the quality of pic. It was in very good condition and nice paint.
It is a 39 model Buick. Hyderabad also has another similar car in similar colour with plates 'N 14 DANTA'.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That car is a 39 Buick Roadmaster that used to belong to The royal family of Janjira, plate is JANJIRA 13( spelling ). It is now owned by a prominent jeweller who lives nect to that temple by the lake on Banjara Hills. He also owns that RR P2 from Baroda. His brother has a few interesting cars too.

I have fond memories of closely examining this car and riding in it. The owner and my father were very good friends and he would visit our place on weekends in this Buick and later the RR.

In fact the Buick was lent to us for my sisters marriage, her husband was picked up in this imposing car with its top down tastefull decorated with flowers and driven to the wedding. Later the newly weds were driven to their new residence in this leaving me and my dad in tears at the wedding hall.

An exact twin to this car down to the exact same colour is with the good Captain who has an amazing collection. It is the "Datia" car.

Later another very similar car, a 39 Century, with a sun roof came on the market with an rather interesting history.

It used to belong to the last Prime Minister of Hyderabad who was put under house arrest by the Indian Army in what is now the Raj Bhavan in Hyderabad.

Legend has it that one night he and his family escaped from there in this car, it had curtains on the windows as it was a"purda" car, and were driven to a major railway junction, forget the name, wher they boarded a train to Bombay and thense on to Pakistan.

This car and a Ford Model A Tourer and an Adler Trumpf Junior Sedan were left with the family of their friend who helped them get away. They were put in a chicken shed and a the entrance was walled up to prevent their being found.

They sat ther undisturbed till late to mid nineties when they wer esold to a dealer who went on and re sold them.

Would love to know where this Buick went, its had a body built by Fleetwood arther than the usual Fisher body another unusual feature of this car along with the sunroof. The Adler went on to one of our beloved T BHP members who is restoring it

Last edited by wasif : 21st October 2009 at 10:53.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:48   #71
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It is the "Datia" car.
Wasif I think Karlos is right, it is a Danta car.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:56   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wasif I think Karlos is right, it is a Danta car.
OOPs my bad it is the Danta car not Datia
Old 22nd October 2009, 04:22   #73
BHPian

Buick Convertible

Wasif bhai, I am sure you have picture of other Buick so share it, if possible.

Meantime attaching picture of another interesting car seen in Rally in mid-90's this is also Buick with some special connection. Where it is now?
Attached Thumbnails
Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-cat1.gif  

Old 22nd October 2009, 09:44   #74
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where it is now?
Very much around in Hyderabad, but not taken out in years
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasif bhai, I am sure you have picture of other Buick so share it, if possible.

Meantime attaching picture of another interesting car seen in Rally in mid-90's this is also Buick with some special connection. Where it is now?
I did have plenty of pictures of all the great cars in Hyderabad but unfortunately tehy are in storage in various locations, some in US and some in India. One day I hope to get my affairs in order.

This Buick you have posted a picture of is in owned by the brother of the guy who ons that 39 Roadmaster you had posted earlier, Janjira 13.

That plate is interesting never seen a similar one. Is this a Hyderabad plate if so what is its significance. Anu idea who owned this car earlier.

He bought my grandfathers house on Road 11 and lives there

Last edited by wasif : 22nd October 2009 at 10:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks