Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 23:31   #46
BHPian

Re: KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Also please do tell us more about the 12 cylinder Duesenberg and share some pics of it if possible, is it in Mumbai ?
now wasif bhai, you are being naughty too
harit bhai, this duesy doesnt exist because they didnt make one... actually they did make one prototype. but seriously???!!
awini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 14:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
harit bhai, this duesy doesnt exist because they didnt make one... actually they did make one prototype. but seriously???!!
My line was ""There are hardly any V12 engined Vintage cars in India, Auburn, Daimler and.... Duessys?""
Did you think I was serious?. I was hoping that fiestarry would put his foot once more in his mouth, hopefully after a bad office day, and insist that there is a V12 engined Duessy.
And I was hoping that he would reveal its location in Mumbai.

Cheers harit
Old 26th April 2012, 15:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Do You Keep Off Old Car Critics?

When is the raffle happening ?????? I was kind o hoping to get the 350 twin !

There r a couple of nice V12 Lincolns in India for sure, Daimlers yes but others not so sure
Old 26th April 2012, 16:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
There r a couple of nice V12 Lincolns in India for sure, Daimlers yes but others not so sure
There are V12 Jags here as well. And then, there's a V-16 on this forum itself!!!
Old 26th April 2012, 16:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When is the raffle happening ?????? I was kind o hoping to get the 350 twin !
Wasif, now that you are a Mountie no way you can take the Twin out of India. So you will get a crate of your favourite ----ly and the bike is mine OK

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe
Old 26th April 2012, 16:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
There are V12 Jags here as well. And then, there's a V-16 on this forum itself!!!
LOL...the V12 Jags are post 1970's so technically not vintage as yet.....we are talking about the pre 1950's V12's here

Sure Ram......how about trading it for your Jap Twin ???? I am sure I can take that out of the country !

But I need to win the raffle first......where is fiestarry when one needs him

Last edited by wasif : 26th April 2012 at 16:55.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
LOL...the V12 Jags are post 1970's
True that, 1971 E-type to be precise

Quote:
so technically not vintage as yet.....we are talking about the pre 1950's V12's here
But then, technically speaking, vintages are pre-1940 by what we follow here - automobiles that is, of course, not juicy ferments!

Last edited by Prabal : 26th April 2012 at 17:04.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
True that, 1971 E-type to be precise

But then, technically speaking, vintages as pre-1940 by what we follow here - automobiles that is, of course, not juicy ferments!
Technically as you say pre 40's is correct but there were some really cool cars like the Lincoln V12's that were around till the end of the 40's so thats why I said pre 1950's.

In my mind the vintage era should end around the time the fenders / mudguards lost their distinct independant shapes and cars became slab sided....around early to mid fifties

Last edited by wasif : 26th April 2012 at 17:07.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure Ram......how about trading it for your Jap Twin ???? I am sure I can take that out of the country !
Wasif,

I surrender. I don't want the Chezc Twin. Will settle for the Jap twin.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 26th April 2012, 17:25   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Technically as you say pre 40's is correct but there were some really cool cars like the Lincoln V12's that were around till the end of the 40's so thats why I said pre 1950's.
Cool, going by that I wonder if a V12 Hispano ever came to our shores?

Quote:
In my mind the vintage era should end around the time the fenders / mudguards lost their distinct independant shapes and cars became slab sided....around early to mid fifties
I firmly am of the opinion that anything till one year before I was born is vintage!!! Okay, coming back to the hedonistic, and wasteful according to the critics, world of automobiles, I understand what you mean, and I concur with the sentiment. However, by that yardstick, where do we take the Beetles, Lotus Sevens (and their later adaptions like the Caterham), the two Moggies and recently the Plymouth/Dodge Prowlers, etc.? I know they are called retros, but...

Last edited by Prabal : 26th April 2012 at 17:28. Reason: typo
Old 26th April 2012, 17:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

There were atleast two Hispano J12's known to have been in India at some point.

One of them, the white drop top is in some major museum or collection abroad ad was pictured on the Maharaja or the Hispano threads.

Regardsing the beatles etc and even the PT Cruiser I agree to term them retro !
Old 26th April 2012, 17:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
There were atleast two Hispano J12's known to have been in India at some point. !
Exactly! And maybe more! And maybe, not all went out. And maybe, at least one still survives here somewhere...@fiestarry has to come to the rescue...

Edit:

Quote:
Regardsing the beatles etc and even the PT Cruiser I agree to term them retro !
Well, the Prowler, Caterhams, the MG TD spin-offs, the Avalons, the modern Morgan Aero are retros, yes. Even the new Beetle, the Mini,et all are retros. But back in the day when they were launched, the Lotus sevens, Beetles and the two Morgans (4/4 & the plus8) (to name a few) were not retros, but continuance of free-flowing form, and some of them carried on till the years 2000s. Just debating...

Last edited by Prabal : 26th April 2012 at 17:52.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, you are all again
You are supposed to DISCUSS "How Do You Keep Off Old Car Critics?", and not PRACTICE it.
So let's discuss, btw, I put 3 Premier Padmini's in line and did not get a V12. How dumb. Again OT

Cheers harit
Old 26th April 2012, 18:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
You are supposed to DISCUSS "How Do You Keep Off Old Car Critics?", and not PRACTICE it.
So let's discuss, btw, I put 3 Premier Padmini's in line and did not get a V12. How dumb. Again OT

Cheers harit
harit.....you did mess up....how could you put the Padmini's in line....were you trying for a pierce arrow ??? Try putting them in a V formation next time ....one and a half of them on each side ......a Duesneberg v12 will emerge
Old 26th April 2012, 18:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
Well, we were trying our best to make it so disgusting for old car critics that they'd keep off. Since it'a science and not just an art, there have to be practicals too. So, Wasif and I were experimenting with our auto-chemistry!!

And talking of your experiment with three Padminis in-line to get a V12, were you aware that a Ferrari straight eight, the Ferrari 815 engine (I hope I remember the model number correctly) was based on two Fiat 1100 engines (from the 508 if I remember right again), fused together in-line. The transmission was also a Fiat 4-speed.

Edit:

Quote:
harit.....you did mess up....how could you put the Padmini's in line....were you trying for a pierce arrow ??? Try putting them in a V formation next time ....one and a half of them on each side ......a Duesneberg v12 will emerge
Or four of them in W formation to get a Bugatti Veyron W16, if not the VW W12 (although you'll have to subtract a cylinder from each bank of four), or the Napier Lion W12, I think dating to the early twentieth century, 1918 or so!!

Last edited by Prabal : 26th April 2012 at 18:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks