Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 21:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

How Do You Keep Off Old Car Critics?

Ownership of vintage and classic cars and bikes is a real pleasure for all true blue fans like us. There are many who do not take so kindly to this hobby and chide the old car and bike lovers given the slightest opportunity.Thats quite usual for many of us.
I am deaf to such criticism ab initio, if its mild and move ahead with my love and the love tales for these jalopies.I believe the sense of involvement for most of us is so deep, that the retorts from our lips to such uncalled for criticism, come straight from the hearts to may be shock and shoo away the critics.
My sharp tongued retorts for shallow, illogical and uncalled for criticism beyond limits usually shuts down the critics, most of whom have very poor basic knowledge about older cars and bikes.
The usual lines I hear are, "arre why waste so much petrol average kya hai 9-10?? Isme diesel engine kyo nahi laga lete? gas aur bhi acchha hai?
My retort goes like this, "I am not into taxi business to look into these kinda economics.And about the gas, rules don't permit cars more than 5 years old to get gasified. My car is nearly 55 years old. "
Will like to hear from fellow old car and bike lovers as to how they react to such silly talks by laymen?
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 11:43   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. If its social ettiquette to not comment about a person's appearance, their spouse, their home, why are then cars exempted from this courtesy?

In my case its usually friends who tease me about the old cars in the house. Its easy to make fun of old cars so I guess they become fair game.

Up until 1996 our daily drivers were a 1954 Hillman and a 1949 Vauxhall. The best comment was when the father of my sister's college friend politely asked her once. " Aap logon ko nai gaadi pasand nahi kya?" that was a most polite way of saying why on earth do you guys drive this junk

The Vauxhall was sold as even finding tyres had become a problem but the Hillman still remains at home albeit resting in a garage.

Old cars are like old buildings. They have what no modern car can boast of, character. Character which you simply cannot recreate. That our family still owns a LaSalle for the past 80 years is testimony to the fact that old cars have personalities/characters which endear them to an extent that they almost become part of the family. I would say the same about an old home too.

I understand my relationship to these cars so why should I get rattled when someone calls it a "rattle trap" or "Junk". I smile and ignore the comment because I know the comment usually is to tease me. To be honest with you I can't think of an occasion when someone was seriously critical of this passion of ours. Perhaps courtesy prevented such comments.

On the flipside its the appreciation that you get flooded with which really makes a stray critical remark totally irrelevant.

The vast majority of people on the street truly appreciate seeing an oldie chugging along the road.

To see people's faces light up, shouts of appreciation, cars and bikes slowing down to admire the old car, now honestly tell me does that stray critical remark really matter? To me it doesn't.

Last edited by DKG : 21st July 2009 at 11:45.
DKG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 20:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well said DKG- all the points you've said are facts straight from the heart.Its true that the flood of smiles, appreciation and acclaim that these cars earn for us far outweigh the critics comments. These critics are in the minority.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Stick a copy of your police record on the rear wind shield.

I would simply say.
Donkey knows not the value of saffron.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:11   #5
BHPian

A nice topic anjan and a very very apt write-up DKG.
True that the critics happen to point out all the loopholes in anything being done out of goodwill. The facts leading them to talk such non-sense could be several; maybe jealousy even!!
Just as anjan stated above about people questioning fuel economy or problems in parking these giant beauties, I say(and so do all the vintage/classic car lovers) when you own something which is so rare and in some cases one-of-a-kind, does it really matter?
Old 23rd July 2009, 00:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

We should frankly admit that in most cases, this hobby is for nutty people like many of us, those who take offence are excluded and need not take offence.
We think that we know what we are doing, but in most cases a balancing act has to be done. Normally we do not bother what aquaintances, neighbours or even some friends think of us. Afterall, we are collecting metal, in some cases a usable product, in other cases scrap which we think we can restore. In most cases we do not make a budget for restoration, if we did then we may not have taken up the project. Just like modern art. Take a piece of paper (oops, canvas) and splash some paint across it and you have modern art. This is how I view modern art, do not understand/appreciate it and make such comments. Similar we often hear about our cars. I claim to understand something about cars, but I have often heard that modern art is a better investment. They are right in some way, storage is much easier, but again you have to take care of moisture, proper storage etc. Sounds familiar?
So, we go ahead and just do our thing as many of us are thick skinned. However, if family objects, then we actually must tackle the issue skillfully. Some family member has told me "Katchhra", bad omen to bring scrap into the house. In the case of a wife, sometimes we have to do a trade-off and alternately spend money on our junk and for her jewelery. And never forget to take her along for a rally ( as long as it is not held in April!!) and see that she is not left standing alone while you go and discuss shop with others. Then it becomes boring.
So, we hard core guys tackle the situation as it merits, and in some cases follow up the hobby in secret (behind someones back).
In this post no one is referred to and I have just mantioned some possible situations, not even mine. Disclaimer put just in case

Cheers, and do your thing as the situation permits. harit
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Just like modern art. Take a piece of paper (oops, canvas) and splash some paint across it and you have modern art. This is how I view modern art, do not understand/appreciate it and make such comments. They are right in some way, storage is much easier, but again you have to take care of moisture, proper storage etc. harit
Tsk Tsk misconceptions galore. You will have to spend an hour or two with me to get rid of your Modern Art phobia. Well thats what it is right! people dont like what they dont understand. You dont understand modern art so you do not appreciate it. Similarly people dont understand machines and design, do not appreciate old cars. IMHO Art and Classic cars are not for the totally rational mind. You have to have an irrational side as well to give it a chance to understand.

When i got married 7 yrs ago my wife liked neither, a couple of years down and several museums visited globally she has developed a taste for it. Infact she is a voracious collector of Modern art today. The same with classic cars, the day is comming when she will understand that what we have today not many will have, she will want one. Btw she owns my dukkar Fiat and also partly financed its restoration. We'll get there.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried using the wheel spanner.

I am not an avid collector, yet my bike and jeep are as young as me. Most people comment that I need to stand and drive or ride the vehicles as they are older than me. I laugh it off with a mix of the local abuse,which at time is seriously meant.

With you guys, I think it must be pure jealousy as they are not able to have such timeless classic beauties or they might be trying to help with their so called useful information regarding conversion to gas et all. Why even bother.

OT. The Mindset of many people are stuck to normality. They cannot digest some things. Luigi Colani is an example. I have traveled all round India meeting the best dealers showcasing Colani collections, they say its too early for India. Irrespective of the fact that the pieces are precision manufactured, designed and use precious metal. Sorry for going OT, I am just trying to vent my frustration.

Last edited by beejay : 23rd July 2009 at 11:33. Reason: OT.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Tsk Tsk misconceptions galore. You will have to spend an hour or two with me to get rid of your Modern Art phobia. Well thats what it is right! people dont like what they dont understand. You dont understand modern art so you do not appreciate it.
I will take you up on that.
In my post I clearly said that I do not understand modern art, you are repeating my words. When something appeals to me, I do buy it but somehow much of the stuff goes past my comprehension. And it is not a phobia and there is no misconception.
I am glad for you that your wife is into your passions. I wish mine would do likewise.
Modern art was just an example, there are others who have other passions which some do not appreciate/comprehend/understand.
To give you another example. I do not appreciate Japanese Sushi food. Personal choice and taste. Period. But there are others who really love it. That is very fine with me and if I were to crack a joke on that too, so what. So why a little bothered when I say that I do not appreciate / understand modern art?
And you will spend 2 hours or so with me, will you not?

Cheers harit
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, if family objects, then we actually must tackle the issue skillfully. Some family member has told me "Katchhra", bad omen to bring scrap into the house.
Tell me about it! My mom, who had a few years ago, got (and I think still is) into Feng-shui, got this newfound 'gyaan' about negative energy or negative qui (pronounced "chi") entering the house through 'undesirable' objects, and has since been on about my bringing home old cars (especially most of them 'pending' projects!) and worse still, spare parts- which she's had all kind of ideas to get rid of, right from selling them to a "paperwala" who comes by to just throwing them down from our balcony!
But hasn't got around to doing it yet, probably since most of them were bought by borrowing her money!

Quote:
In the case of a wife, sometimes we have to do a trade-off and alternately spend money on our junk and for her jewelery.
Hmm, in my case, if I could work out such a deal with the better-half, I would be ok about alternately spending money on my 'junk' and Sarees for her, as I'm equally crazy about the latter (although can never 'practically' enjoy them, unlike my 'junk', I'll have to leave that to her....which however, also means she has to be crazy about them too!)

Quote:
When i got married 7 yrs ago my wife liked neither, a couple of years down and several museums visited globally she has developed a taste for it. Infact she is a voracious collector of Modern art today. Btw she owns my dukkar Fiat and also partly financed its restoration.
Wow, amol! What a ray of hope you've lit for us bachelor enthusiasts!!

Now I know how some of us are able to handle more than one project...hehe!

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd July 2009 at 22:18.
Old 24th July 2009, 21:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And you will spend 2 hours or so with me, will you not?
Anytime I am always ready to convert new people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, amol! What a ray of hope you've lit for us bachelor enthusiasts!!

Now I know how some of us are able to handle more than one project...hehe!
Well you have to work hard at it my friend, again when your ready to give up bachelorhood I'll give you a lesson at converting wifes, just like I will give Harit one about Modern Art
Old 24th July 2009, 22:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have a 20 year old Padmini and I recently wanted to buy another Padmini which my friend was selling. I went to my Dad to seek his permission to buy the car. Dad said" People will start commenting that we are buying old used cars, instead lets plan to buy a new big car". I asked him " Whose feelings are important to you?? Mine or some third party. Why bother about some other people, when you know that what you are doing is right". He thought for sometime and he said me to go ahead with the car..!!!
Old 24th July 2009, 23:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anytime I am always ready to convert new people.

Well you have to work hard at it my friend, again when your ready to give up bachelorhood I'll give you a lesson at converting wifes, just like I will give Harit one about Modern Art
Converting wives- me too here for a word or two for would be grooms and grooms whose spouses feel the man has two wives. One the real she and the other the jalopy ( or is it jalopies ) she!
Rallies are the best time to get the family on the move together. The accolades and greetings by hundreds of onlookers are rare and get instant attention of our spouse and children (if any) with us.
If its a rally for a family man, the family must be in the car all through.Only bachelors must prefer friends. The married can carry friends along, only if the car is too big to accommodate friends apart from the family.
Also, vintage and classic car rallies are like the glittering film award functions, where only the stars with their glitter and glare are seen.The sweat and tears that go into keeping our cars in fine fettle are in the backdrop during the rallies, much like the complexities and ordeals that the film unit members have to face till the movie hits the silver screen.
Our families must know these facts!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th July 2009 at 23:14.
Old 24th July 2009, 23:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, thanks! Really generous of you! There is one way I'd like to "convert" mine, depending on whether it's needed or not that is! So, looking forward to my likely chance to take your gyAn, guruji!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Dad said" People will start commenting that we are buying old used cars, instead lets plan to buy a new big car". I asked him " Whose feelings are important to you?? Mine or some third party. Why bother about some other people, when you know that what you are doing is right". He thought for sometime and he said me to go ahead with the car..!!!
Kudos to you for making your dad see the right thing in what you did!!

I've tried convincing my mom of the same too! She once told me that when she was going out by bus, a Lady in the next block in our society first asked her if I was into some kind of used car dealing, ie. buy old cars, do them up and sell them. When my mom replied in the negative and clarified that it was just my hobby, the lady couldn't believe it! She went on asking if people would actually 'waste' money like that!

My mom managed to tell her that wasting or otherwise was a relative opinion, and that she was glad that atleast I wasnt wasting her- er- our! hard-earned money and life on "wine and women"!

Yet, at home she always seems to act the opposite by chiding me for the same "abnormal" activity! :|

Last edited by Stanher : 24th July 2009 at 23:23.
Old 24th July 2009, 23:54   #15
BHPian

I don't have to, since I look worse than my cars (or bikes) they keep off me!

Most Viewed