Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 19:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
P.S. could anyone tell me what the two cars below are?
I guess Stanher will help here! Have pinged him already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but whats the criteria or having a bike/car on display as vintage? I thought the Jawas are not old enough. Also, is there a minimum level of originality, a must? Can anyone enlighten me about it.
Quote:
SAme is my question i thought i wouldn't ask but since gendaremee has asked i would also ask that i don't think the mercedes is old enough to be featured.
Hillram will be able to give more details regarding these questions as a senior member of the DHAA.
Old 15th August 2009, 19:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
I guess Stanher will help here! Have pinged him already!

Hillram will be able to give more details regarding these questions as a senior member of the DHAA.

Thankx for the details.
Old 15th August 2009, 19:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

@gendarmee and Indrojit...It has been deliberated many times in many forums as to how we define Classic and Vintage classification for Cars and Bikes.
Ideally any Car/Bike which is 30+ Years may be refered to as Classic and a 50+ as Vintage.
We were in such part of th town that we had to admit any car/bike which came in to honour the spirit of the Rally.But still I had to call a spade a spade,when few Pearl Yamahas and RD 350s turned up and they were promptly taken off the display.
A person came with a 1984 Maruti Suzuki and claimed it was a classic of its own.What could i have said?

The white and brown is an Opel Wagon cart popular in our Rallys.Am not too sure of the Blue convertible.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2009 at 11:17. Reason: "gendarmee" spelling corrected on request
Old 15th August 2009, 19:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
@gendarmee and Indrojit...It has been deliberated many times in many forums as to how we define Classic and Vintage classification for Cars and Bikes.
Ideally any Car/Bike which is 30+ Years may be refered to as Classic and a 50+ as Vintage.
We were in such part of th town that we had to admit any car/bike which came in to honour the spirit of the Rally.But still I had to call a spade a spade,when few Pearl Yamahas and RD 350s turned up and they were promptly taken off the display.
A person came with a 1984 Maruti Suzuki and claimed it was a classic of its own.What could i have said?

The white and brown is an Opel Wagon cart popular in our Rallys.Am not too sure of the Blue convertible.

Sir it depends on how the organisers give the criteria of how it is a vintage or a classic.If that was a thing then all the cars that come for the different rallies more than 30 years would all be vintages including abmys and fiats.The criterias which some organisers apply are till 1945 they are vintages and till about 1971-72 they are classic.But a car is not a classic if the owner thinks it is their has to be something about the car to classify it as a classic.
Sir i understand the place where the rally was organised has less number of cars in that kind of a situation you could have called it a car display to avoid all different kinds of contraversies.That was just a suggestion nothing else.I respect what the organisers have decided to do.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2009 at 11:17. Reason: A small edit has been made in the post you have quoted.
Old 15th August 2009, 20:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were in such part of th town that we had to admit any car/bike
Indrojit, The part of the town refers to 'Old City' of Hyderabad and is somewhat Notorious!

Final set of Pics:

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0277.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0278.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0279.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0280.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0281.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0282.jpg

These are from the Nizam's collection.
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0283.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0284.jpg

Bagpipers of Indian Origin!
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0285.jpg

It's so small! and it comes with height adjustable handlebar!
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0286.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0287.jpg

The Chief Guest, a.k.a as the 'guy-who-thinks-FIAT-attempts-to-make-cars' (He himself said this to Suren!)
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0288.jpg

Couldn't resist from clicking the Land Cruiser! LOL
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0289.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0290.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0291.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0292.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0293.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0294.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0295.jpg

Compilation suggested by Ravendra.
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0297.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0301.jpg

After Ram, now Ravendra will also be on TV! :-)
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-dsc_0303.jpg

Last edited by pulsar56 : 15th August 2009 at 20:08.
Old 15th August 2009, 21:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 174848

The Chief Guest, a.k.a as the 'guy-who-thinks-FIAT-attempts-to-make-cars' (He himself said this to Suren!)

Couldn't resist from clicking the Land Cruiser! LOL

Compilation suggested by Ravendra.

After Ram, now Ravendra will also be on TV! :-)
I think that it was not the Chief guest but the chappie who was showing him around who cracked that PJ - if only he had looked around he would have seen that there is a WW-I vintage Fiat in the Nizams collection (with jeep's mud lug tyres on it).

Seems that it is not only the Indians in US who are fascinated with Toyotas and then they dish out oodles of Dollars to bail out the 3 US car makers! Duhh.

I think you meant composition - refers to only one pic while compilation refers to the lot.

True to the Hyd spirit and tradition, the events were re-scheduled and venue was changed which allowed Pulsar, Suren, Prabhu and I to reach the venue on time!

On show were some gleaming classics and lovely vintage cars. Most were seen and discussed at the HIAS and the thread devoted to the HIAS.

Seen for the first time (I might be mistaken) was a lovely brown Packard. The car is immaculately maintained and the engine is silky smooth.

A peek at the Nizams cars behind glass made me sad. Such beauties but in such a poor shape. DKG has mentioned elsewhere that there is a move to restore them. I hope that this project takes off soon and that these beauties are restored to their original glory.

The bikes ranged from true-blue vintage to daily drives of the present gen. oh ok, maybe not for gen X and gen Y but, late model Jawas, Bullets, Lambrettas and Vespa 150s just do not make for either classic or vintage bikes, perhaps a new category like neo-classic can be created to accomodate these later models of old classics.

A new addition to the bikes category was Red-Indian Cow, chatting with the owner revealed that this bike has been in the family forever and that the bike is totally original including the paint (except the fuel tank).

Cheers,
Old 15th August 2009, 21:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pictures of the Vintage Car & Motorcycle display:
Hey Nazim,
Great pics.!! I was feeling a bit too tired to post this evening, thought I would still be the first to- but you beat me to it! Do I see a budding classic fan here?
BTW, didn't you take any pics. of the lovely series 1 Lambretta (ADX 8386), navy blue & white one?? That is one 2-wheeler I always look forward to at our DHAA rallies (and also look forward to having!)

Oh, and thanks for the lovely pics. of my own steed, which I myself nearly forgot to click until the end- it's a Standard Pennant btw!

Speaking of which, she had a couple of hiccups that partly caused a bit of a delay due to which I thought I wont make it to the show in time! But thankfully, I (and my mech. in tow as he knew some of the shortcuts to the place, being from a nearby area) made it! 'missed the flag-hoisting though!

Quote:
The cream one APX 7158 is a pre-war Opel pick-up truck (could be converted) 'had uploaded more pics. of it in the DHAA 26th Jan show this year which it had also attended.
The blue car I find it difficult to place but suspect its a late 20s Citroen?

IF so, there were pics. of a similar car in another thread about a collector in Calcutta.

Anyways, here's some of my humble contribution!

Starting with our suren181's now (at last!) fully done up '57 fiat 1100. Ok well, a few things that still remain status quo. The boot "FIAT 1100" badge and original "FIAT" horn-button however, will be refitted soon. Suren was lucky to get the broad whitewalls in time, just what the car needed! Needless to say, his long-standing patience and efforts have paid off!
And karl, note the now correctly-painted cream wheels! hehe!

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3512.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3513.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3527.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3528.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3531.jpg

'looks like the car is a hit even with kids- suren's, hillram's and friends' toddlers have a go at it here! Fortunately or unfortunately they didn't have the keys!

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3573.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3582.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3588.jpg
Old 15th August 2009, 21:36   #23
BHPian

Well dressed up beauties.
Thanks Pulsar56 and Stanher for the photo's

Found this..............very interesting regarding BYN 2553 TWN Cornet.....is this the same bike ?

Classic Bikes For Sale : GERMAN TRIUMPH,1936 TWN,STM500

cheers
Old 15th August 2009, 22:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

@Girish..Ofc its the same TWN which was at the display today.It was restored immaculatley for the Hyderabad International Auto Show in July 2009.
Old 15th August 2009, 22:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Whole hearted kudos to all those who were involved in this event. I feel that these events should not be limited once or twice an year but should happen more frequently to showcase the prominence & indulgence. There were good number who came to have a glimpse but I feel that this event was a mini version of the Haig rally which concluded sometime back. I for one felt that this event could be made still more grand. without offending anyone let us make it big from hereon. "BADA HAI THO BEHTAR HAI"

Some more images attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-1.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-4.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-5.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-6.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-9.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-10.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-16.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-22.jpg  

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-23.jpg  

Old 15th August 2009, 22:32   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing from my side....

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3523.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3529.jpg

These two Austin 7s are DHAA regulars, as are the Hillman Minx (which hadn't shown up at the 26th jan. show though) and 2-door Morris Minor. The lovely Packard seemed to be a first-timer AFAIK. The owner, at the end, had given a ride to the Chief guest upto his Landcruiser.

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3514.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3515.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3517.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3519.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3524.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3525.jpg

This red Austin 7 too seemed a first-timer to me- the owner has maintained even what seems to be the original Hyderabad state number. Cedric, this is for you!

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3520.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3522.jpg
Old 15th August 2009, 23:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone
seems to been have a good time for many of us.I'm sure some more cars would have come,Could we have the complete set of pics pls.Thankx

Boss, the first car is an Opel with beautified body, depending on your taste. Second may be a Chevy.
BTW, did anyone notice that many of Hyderabads jewels are missing? Our own DKG's Packards, the Rolls's, Captains stock................. You guys in Hyderabad need to unify if situation permits. Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad have 2 clubs. Mumbai has only one, there are a million reasons to have 2, but we are conservative. But the writing is on the wall

Cheers harit
Old 15th August 2009, 23:33   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Set 3 of pics. from me:

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3532.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3581.jpg

Two more regulars- Sunbeam Talbot and Triumph Mayflower:

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3533.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3574.jpg

And of course, my pride and joy.....

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3590.jpg

anjan- do you know this Vauxhall 12? It seems to be a Nagpur car?

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3575.jpg

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-img_3576.jpg

More to follow...!

PS: harit's post just reminded me- a second time! It had first struck me, while returning home that DKG and his lovely green ex-RJ royals' Packard were missed this time! They were DHAA regulars too.

Last edited by Stanher : 15th August 2009 at 23:37.
Old 16th August 2009, 01:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Boss, the first car is an Opel with beautified body, depending on your taste. Second may be a Chevy.
BTW, did anyone notice that many of Hyderabads jewels are missing? Our own DKG's Packards, the Rolls's, Captains stock................. You guys in Hyderabad need to unify if situation permits. Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad have 2 clubs. Mumbai has only one, there are a million reasons to have 2, but we are conservative. But the writing is on the wall

Cheers harit

Exactly what i was thinking after posting this,that i'm missing something out and yes that is the king of Packards DKG.We need to have a association with people from each state as reps and need to hold some good big events atleast once a year if not more.Looking forward to having something like that.
Old 16th August 2009, 02:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures guys, guess what A mahindra Jeep with alloy wheels on display, Is it mahindra classic.

Loved the beautiful jawas, vespas and the lamby's (whether classic or not).

Shyam,

Surens car is a looker and has come out good. How every my few points to make har even more head turning

1. Painting the shoulders of the rims in Black will make her even more mersmerising, look at the original catalogue

Deccan Heritage Vintage Car and Motorcycle Display @ Chowmahalla Palace-August 15th-wheels.jpg

2. Secondly the front parking lights are fitted wrong, the slimmer side should be pointing away from the car.

3. What about the dicky lock and the front windscreen rubber + beading.

4. Also the door pad's are fitted with the help of screws, are there no clips available to hold them in palce.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks