Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 22:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Should we start an 'Identify the bike' thread?
Does look like a Norton. A Commando, possibly?
Old 14th August 2009, 20:06   #17
BHPian

What happened to this thread? Anybody.. any more guesses?
Old 14th August 2009, 22:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
By looking at the tank and gear box, it looks like a BSA or a Matchless to me

More Matchless because I compared if with the below picture! Btw the bike below is listed for sale..

Source: OLX
I would agree - it's probably a Matchless from the '50s or very early '60s. Left foot brake and the gearbox cover profile seem to match. No front mudguard, missing exhaust, no chain or chain cover. One more pic to compare with...

Which Bike is this??-matchless.jpg
Old 14th August 2009, 22:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Does the guy who started this thread have the answer? or else we will just keep guessing and then there is no closure.

I personally think its a matchless too but who can say? may be one of those circus bikes with tons of different things put together on some frame.

But this seems like a thread which will run out of steam, unless you want to post all unidentified bikes here.
Old 14th August 2009, 23:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Crankcase and tank is similar to the Matchlesses posted before, but both matchlesses have twin cradle frame where as the bike in question has a single downtube frame. The crankcase, tank and a part of the frame resembles this BSA bb31, but then the bike is not a complete match.

To me it looks like a mix n match job..
Attached Thumbnails
Which Bike is this??-bb31201.jpg  

Old 14th August 2009, 23:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember being sent this pic. alongwith many other funny pics. in an email once, titled "How Indians pose for photos!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
By looking at the tank and gear box, it looks like a BSA or a Matchless to me

More Matchless because I compared if with the below picture!
I too think it could be a Matchless going by the crankcase cover with the circular bulge on the side. But that could be the only original part on it, the tank looks like its from another bike. Some other parts are missing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Shouldnt the ladies be wearing full riding gear ? Also how in the world did the lady in the front reach there with the Sari ?
Also, shouldn't the bike have a Saree-guard?

Um, full riding gear?? Do ladies (most of them) who ride even real 2-wheelers (not bikes though!) wear them??

As for how she got there in a Saree, maybe the chassis of the bike too was modified in some manner, like cut through at the front behind the tank, with the intention of having Saree-clad ladies conveniently pose for photos on it?
Old 16th August 2009, 22:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I remember being sent this pic. alongwith many other funny pics. in an email once, titled "How Indians pose for photos!"

I too think it could be a Matchless going by the crankcase cover with the circular bulge on the side. But that could be the only original part on it, the tank looks like its from another bike. Some other parts are missing too.

Also, shouldn't the bike have a Saree-guard?

Um, full riding gear?? Do ladies (most of them) who ride even real 2-wheelers (not bikes though!) wear them??

As for how she got there in a Saree, maybe the chassis of the bike too was modified in some manner, like cut through at the front behind the tank, with the intention of having Saree-clad ladies conveniently pose for photos on it?
It is a 1953 G3L Matchless, single cylinder 350cc.

Most Viewed