Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 18:34   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello Pavan,

Was this Bug previously owned by retired NRI who used to live in Whitefield - Sai Baba Ashram?

Take Care & Best Regards

Ram
No Buddy, Not really sure.

Found it abandoned in a workshop for over 15 yrs, rotting and rusting.

It was originally Bottle green, turned to White and later rusts covered its body and later ,when it came to my hands, as they say is History
Old 6th September 2009, 20:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
No Buddy, Not really sure.

Found it abandoned in a workshop for over 15 yrs, rotting and rusting.

It was originally Bottle green, turned to White and later rusts covered its body and later ,when it came to my hands, as they say is History
Kadam,

If the original colour was bottle green then its not the same car I am referring to. That car was Oxford Blue in colour - originally imported by the gentleman, when he rturned from his NRI days.

Thanks

Drive Safe

Ram
Old 6th September 2009, 23:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys please post your driving experiences here. This was the intention of this thread as its the only reason I believe we spend so much time and money on these cars.
Old 7th September 2009, 18:42   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys please post your driving experiences here. This was the intention of this thread as its the only reason I believe we spend so much time and money on these cars.

Sirjee,

Pls go to the previous page and look

Presently this thread is going nowhere.
Old 7th September 2009, 20:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Pavan you're the Man!! Taking a bug out on 4X4 territory requires guts. It also says a lot about the reliability of the vehicle and your confidence in it. Kudos brother.

I have never actually used my classics as a daily drive, not because of reliability issues but because of the fear of thieves and pranksters stealing something like a wheelcap or the script plate from the car. Thats why these cars are restricted to being driven only on weekends and having them parked in manned parking lots.

I constantly put my classics to use regularly now when i go to multiplex theatres which have covered parking like the PVR at Phoenix Mills. The cars are safe and i take care to park where the guard is placed. One cant be too sure of its safety there too.

All i can say is that these cars are a pleasure to drive, mainly because of the pleasure involved and the attention one gets when one is behind the wheel. Its only after a while one finds out the attention is towards the car and only the car

If the weather was more conducive in Bombay, i would be driving these more often, given that most of these beauties have no air conditioner fitted.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you post the diffenernces in the driving experience amongst your Mercs. Which is your favourite and why.

Also we would love to know what it feels like driving a classic merc.
Old 16th September 2009, 00:47   #22
BHPian

I will consider it a lie that someone will park his Classic in some Parking Mall especially the Phoenix Mill Compound as after you come out of the Parking Complex, the Behind Road is fully broken and I do not advise driving ANY car over such terrain. :(
Old 30th November 2010, 18:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

Let me share with everyone my experiences in driving my 1958 Mercedes Benz 180a prior to its current restoration.

I would take it out only on Sunday mornings, but first I would get it polished by my painter on Saturday. It would be a real pleasure to fiddle with the steering, and turn the ignition key to unlock it, and then press the starter button. She would always start at a half crank but die after a few seconds. After a few pumps on the accelerator pedal, another try and then she would start to idle smoothly.

The clutch was very light, the gearshift precise and tight; just love the way the steering column mounted gear sticks on ponton and fintail Mercs work; with very little play and short throws. Ambassador shifts in comparison are so vague (sorry Amby fans, but that was the only other car I could think of to compare with since same era). And then we would be on our way.

I love the way the 180a accelerates, it's got just enough grunt to keep pace with most modern cars, thanks to its overhead camshaft engine. The steering though was somewhat vague, but light and with a positive self centering action. And as always, there would be eager eyes on the car, many asking questions and some stating with a very knowledgeable look on their faces addressing youngsters, that it's a car from the British Raj era!

My car's brakes were never very good, and with my spirited driving, I've had a couple of close shaves. Sunday morning drives were usually to the club for some beer followed by lunch. Once we reached the club I would park the car in a prime spot, and there the car would rest for a couple of hours. Post lunch and tea, she would again roll home ward bound.

When it became necessary to use the lights, a firm twist of the left fingers on the combination switch and then with a well weighted and precise "click" the side lamps would come on. Another click for the head lamps. And on wintry foggy evenings, a gentle pull for the fog lamps. Oh, and my car has the Euro style horn ring which acts both as the horn and turn signal indicator, though it doesn't self cancel.

The car would glide over most bumps and potholes, without any annoying rattles, and would happily cruise at 50 mph. I did push her once to 70 mph, but shortly after that the crack in the alloy head started causing problems.

Once the car was home, another feather duster wipe and then the cover. Most impressive of all was the wonderful "thump" on closing the doors; it really makes one feel special to own a car with the 3 pointed star!

And then she would sleep till the following Sunday. How I miss driving my car
:(

Regards
Prithvi

Most Viewed