Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 08:56   #1546
Team-BHP Support

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Here are some pictures from Goa (possibly during the liberation)
Source: Vintage Photos of India.com : Sham Achrekar

Can someone identify the cars using a magnifying lens? One car in the crows looks like a Cadillac.

Name:  Goa1.jpg
Views: 2968
Size:  83.7 KB

And here's more from www.bharat-rakshak.com

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-goa6.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-goa7.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2011 at 09:25.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:34   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Here are some pictures from Goa (possibly during the liberation) Source: Vintage Photos of India.com : Sham Achrekar
Hi moralfibre,

This is a bit difficult.
Upper left seems to be a Caddy. In the middle picture that is a Land Rover, Goa had plenty at that time. Upper right and lower left seems to be an American Stationwagon, probably a Ford because of the round tailights. But just to confuse, I would mention Holden. The car in the distance could be a Ford Custom, or a Mercury. Both pictures are of the same location at different angles, and the cars seem to be stationary.
The bottom left picture features a convertible, and just who are the leaders standing tall in this parade? And probably a Caddy convertible.
The last two individual pictures of the convoy are also two angles of the same scene, and again the vehicles are stationary. From top the second is a VW Van, followed by a Fiat 600?. The last appears to be a Beetle. There are military vehicles including a Jeep to be seen.
Historic pictures indeed.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 25th February 2011 at 10:36.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:44   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The last two individual pictures of the convoy are also two angles of the same scene, and again the vehicles are stationary. From top the second is a VW Van, followed by a Fiat 600?. The last appears to be a Beetle. There are military vehicles including a Jeep to be seen.
Cheers harit
Doesn't the Beetle look like an oval window?

OT: My mother was born in Goa before it was liberated. They had a Portuguese passport. Their residence was in Sawantwadi and they had to shuttle between the two locations very often. The border officials in those days would let people cross into Goa only if they had a valid passport.
When Goa was liberated, my mother as a kid would sit in the verandah of their house watching tanks and army convoys passby.

We should make an attempt to get in touch with [COLOR=#22229c]Sham Achrekar[/COLOR] and procure these pictures from him. I am assuming he would want to sell them.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2011 at 11:49.
Old 26th February 2011, 20:00   #1549
Senior - BHPian

I personally like this picture very much, a very old picture yet so fresh.
I first got a B+W print of this picture about a year ago, in a lot of photos of a Parsi Family in Pakistan. Recently I got this negative and decided to have it printed. I was surprised to see that the result is a colour photo. I will put up the B+W photo later.
The car must have been new, so neat and clean, nice accessories, a straight entry to Cartier Show in their new categories.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-fiat-01.jpg  

Old 26th February 2011, 20:09   #1550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car must have been new, so neat and clean, nice accessories
Yup, a lovely one no doubt. But look at the antenna - I wonder what frequencies it must have caught!
Old 26th February 2011, 22:48   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car must have been new, so neat and clean, nice accessories, a straight entry to Cartier Show in their new categories.

Cheers harit
Wow sporting a full side trims. And since the car is white, I presume the wheel are also white on white . Lovely car indeed.
Old 27th February 2011, 00:11   #1552
sat
BHPian

bw film - Maharaja Jhalawar at brooklands, 1920

There are several film on this website with cars in India of a bye gone era.

One of them has Nabha maharaja's swan car. A search with different key words would show up interesting film footage..

British Pathe

<h2>MAHARAJA AT BROOKLANDS</h2><iframe src="http://www.britishpathe.com/embed.php?archive=79227" name="pathe_flash_embed" width="352" height="264" scrolling="no" frameborder="1"><p></p></iframe>
Old 27th February 2011, 08:53   #1553
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I wonder what frequencies it must have caught!
gorgeous car, lovely people. it must be for a shortwave radio karlos
Old 27th February 2011, 12:17   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Doesn't the Beetle look like an oval window?

OT: My mother was born in Goa before it was liberated. They had a Portuguese passport. Their residence was in Sawantwadi and they had to shuttle between the two locations very often. The border officials in those days would let people cross into Goa only if they had a valid passport.
When Goa was liberated, my mother as a kid would sit in the verandah of their house watching tanks and army convoys passby.
Moralfibre
Thanks for that and the photos
These are nice stories to hear. Anup T used to tell me about Mahesh Powale's dad swimming across the river with a raft that carried a Beetle engine and he did it on more than one ocassion taking the engines out of Goa before the liberation. The last time I met Prem in Verem he was telling me a story about how each noon the european (portuguese army officer) would come from panjim to the aguada jail on their rounds, sitting in the sidecar of the BMW R12 with a Negro riding the motorcycle combination. The roads from betim to nerul have a lot of curves specially near verem. This rider misjudged one sharp turn and rammed the combo into a house. The impact was so much that the sidecar seperated from the motorcycle (maybe that's Harit's bike). Wonder if there are any photos with him. I am going there next weekend so maybe I can check that out.
Regards
Old 27th February 2011, 23:02   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

A lovely image of a coffee selling truck, taken by Homai Vyarawalla in the late 1930s. Note the early Bombay registration. This image and more are on display at the National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-0000.jpg
Old 28th February 2011, 10:10   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I first got a B+W print of this picture about a year ago, in a lot of photos of a Parsi Family in Pakistan. Recently I got this negative and decided to have it printed. I was surprised to see that the result is a colour photo. I will put up the B+W photo later.

Cheers harit
Superb Pic Harit, but I have reason to believe that this picture is from the mid-70's look at the guys T-shirt and sunglasses these are not pre 70's styles atleast in the subcontinent. If mid-70s the car is in incredible condition. A true Parsi Owned car
Old 28th February 2011, 12:54   #1557
Senior - BHPian

This is a modified Standard, I remember seeing one or two cars like this in Bombay in the 1970's. The colour was red or crimson.
If I remember rightly fibreglass was used in this conversion. Remembering what all was done to Standards in terms of modification, this was not at all bad.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-standard-02.jpg  

Old 28th February 2011, 14:47   #1558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a modified Standard, I remember seeing one or two cars like this in Bombay in the 1970's. The colour was red or crimson.
If I remember rightly fibreglass was used in this conversion. Remembering what all was done to Standards in terms of modification, this was not at all bad.

Cheers harit
I had seen this (or a very similar one) in a used car showroom in Pune, near Synagogue, Camp. It was a metallic maroon colour. This must have been around 1995/96.

The location of your photo appears to be State Bank (I think) building opposite to the erstwhile Tamhane Auto shop, East Street, at the circle of Dass Garage. The P2 parking board still stands in the same spot.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:51   #1559
Senior - BHPian

This was the original picture which I received of this Fiat. In colour she looks so much better, so fresh.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-fiat-02.jpg  

Old 28th February 2011, 18:19   #1560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I have reason to believe that this picture is from the mid-70's look at the guys T-shirt and sunglasses these are not pre 70's styles atleast in the subcontinent. If mid-70s the car is in incredible condition. A true Parsi Owned car
I would safely assume it was from the 60s at the most. I could easily identify a 70s attire!

The sunglasses, hairstyles (of the guy as well as the girls/ladies) and attires all indicate it is indeed pre 1970.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks