Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2013, 19:42   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Some further comments on Srinand's fabulous photos.

I need to correct myself on my earler "French" comment.

Here is another option - this car may be a Chevrolet Classic Six from 1911-1913. Even though the radiator still does not look quite right.

The front wings and cowl look like they were modernized.
This car also could be an early crossley. These wheels look so English
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-image3105520354.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-image2091299843.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-image3671287519.jpg  

kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 11:35   #2612
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

From the Morris Owner 1939, Police Morris Minor's in Bombay edition.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-mo-3912-p890-police-mms-bombay-ed.jpg  

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 25th March 2013 at 11:54.
KartikeyaL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 13:01   #2613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
From the Morris Owner 1939, Police Morris Minor's in Bombay edition.
If there is any way in which you can read the registration numbers clearly, please check if they read "POLICE ??" etc.
In the old days these were the registration nos for Police vehicles, here in 1932 also?
Can you please write out the last line, does it say when the new cars were delivered?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 13:15   #2614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If there is any way in which you can read the registration numbers clearly, please check if they read "POLICE ??" etc.
In the old days these were the registration nos for Police vehicles, here in 1932 also?
Can you please write out the last line, does it say when the new cars were delivered?

Cheers harit
The two cars which were retired ( the ones' on the left) , seem to have a single alphabet prefix, and numbers :2678 and 2458 respectively.

The cars on the right , have a longer prefix, which I cannot read, but the numbers seem to be :38 and 34 respectively.

However I could be wrong as the picture is of poor quality.

The Text is as follows:
" For Bombay Police work :__ Morris 5 cwt. Vans supplied through Morris industries exports limited.The two on the left started work in April 1932 and ran 1,20,000 miles before being replaced, and the others were recently supplied by The French Motor car co., of the Sandhurst Road, Bombay "

This picture is from the Morris owner magazine of summer 1939, so we can assume that maybe the cars were delivered sometime in 1938-1939.

Cheers
Kartik
Old 25th March 2013, 14:43   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
...............This picture is from the Morris owner magazine of summer 1939, so we can assume that maybe the cars were delivered sometime in 1938-1939. Cheers Kartik
Where is this magazine? With you or the club.
The old vehicles having a single alphabet followed by number makes perfect sense. If one can make out the original letter it will be nice.
On the remaing cars cars the word "POLICE" is a clear possibility. Maybe this can be read in the original magazine, maybe a good scan enhanced. Your club member is an expert, remember how he cleaned up my photos?

Cheers harit
Old 25th March 2013, 14:52   #2616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The old vehicles having a single alphabet followed by number makes perfect sense. If one can make out the original letter it will be nice.
On the remaing cars cars the word "POLICE" is a clear possibility. Maybe this can be read in the original magazine, maybe a good scan enhanced. Your club member is an expert, remember how he cleaned up my photos?

Cheers harit
The magazine is with the club, I have emailed "Chris" , and I am sure he would be able to shed more light on this.

I will update you as soon as I hear from him.
Old 26th March 2013, 11:45   #2617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
Hi,

Here is the text of email from Chris /www.prewarminor.com

"Hi Kartik,
Unfortunately these are old dot matrix images and even at top resolution are impossible to read. My best guess at what some letters and numerals read are: Second van from left W 2438, 3rd from left – first sequence of numerals are totally unreadable but second grouping of two reads 38. Morris Eight van on far right has the same unreadable grouping and than the digits 34.
Regards,
Chris "

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 26th March 2013 at 11:46. Reason: spellings
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 11:54   #2618
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened to find this nice postcard pic. posted by someone on facebook, of Bombay circa 1970s with a lone Standard Gazel, amidst the usual Fiats/Ambys, seen on the right corner....same colour as my dad's had been! The car might've been new then.
Fellow tbhpian 'Ram' has identified this spot as the parking lot of the Eros Cinema, opposite Churchgate railway terminus (on the left with the Neon sign atop). To the right is the HQ of the Western Railways.

The BEST double-deck Leyland Titan bus has just emerged from Veer Nariman Road, Churchgate and is headed west.

The black and yellow Fiat taxis and the yellow Hindustan Petroleum (HP) petrol tanker on Jamshedji Tata Road, are waiting at the traffic light, headed north.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-70sbbay.jpg
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 14:54   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Another interesting picture of car from my Uncle's collection, I don't know it belong to whom. Only number plate APX .. readable, anybody knows which model and where it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I've always wondered about this car - here it is in another shot, courtesy xoticars's albums.
Attachment 215401
Some sort of small Citroen? Forgive my ignorance.
Quote:
Actually that statement was elementary
I am not 100% sure, but this Citroen is the 1919 which was picked up around the same time as the Lagonda in Hyderabad and went to Chennai. From Chennai she went to an estate in Bangalore and then on to amchi Mumbai.
Anyone knows better?
Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Karlos there used to be a boattailed Citroen roadster in Hyderabad with a Parsi gentleman named Bastawala. I had seen the car in their house. To my knowledge this was the only such car in Hyderabad. In the days when vintage car rallies used to be conducted in the Parade Ground this car used to turn up.
The car in the picture appears to be the same car.
Many many years later I saw the same car in Rashid bhai's collection where I suspect it should still remain. Chances are the car which was in Chennai and now Mumbai is another similar car?
Hello, I know I am over three years late in answering to these posts (on page 58/59), but vintage cars got only older in the meantime, so it's good, isn't it?
The car in question is a 1922/23 Citroen C3 T2, wrongly known as Tréfle or Cloverleaf (which should be applied to the three seater model C3 T3 only).
In the older picture it seems to be original, in the new one at least the rims are wrong. I was able to identify the year thanks to the fenders, which later bacame rounder and the number of bonnet louvres, which was lower before 1922. The car is a rare model produced for the English or Japanese market (hence right hand drive. These little Citroens were exported a bit everywhere around the world), and was probably burgundy or dark blue with black fenders (the other available colour, "havana" would appear much brighter in b/w pictures). The rexin clad interior would match the external paint sheme, hence red for the burgundy cars and black for the dark blue cars.
I have owned one of these until I moved to India, great fun! If you know the whereaboutso of this one, I'd love to see it and help the owner with some parts, if he needs them.

Last edited by Philedonos : 26th March 2013 at 14:57.
Philedonos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:23   #2620
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos View Post
If you know the whereaboutso of this one, I'd love to see it and help the owner with some parts, if he needs them.
As mentioned the car should be part of a very large collection of cars in Hyderabad. All the cars have been lying locked up in garages for decades now and not sure what the owner intends to do with them. He doesn't let anyone see the cars either !
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 17:17   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
As mentioned the car should be part of a very large collection of cars in Hyderabad. All the cars have been lying locked up in garages for decades now and not sure what the owner intends to do with them. He doesn't let anyone see the cars either !
He used to let me take any car from his collection and keep it for as long as I wanted.

Have such good memores of the times i had his Sunbeam Alpine, the Super 8 Buick, once the Roadmaster convertible, the Singer, the Ford V*

The only cars I couldnt take out was the V12 Lincoln as the brakes were shot and the Jaguar Racer replica
Old 26th March 2013, 19:39   #2622
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
He used to let me take any car from his collection and keep it for as long as I wanted.
He once asked me to do the same when I used to bug him to turn the collection into a museum ! hope someday we get to see the cars either in a museum or out on the roads for all to see and enjoy.
Old 27th March 2013, 01:31   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In 1935 to 1936 one Paul Hartlmaier led an expedition of 3 DKW F5 Meisterklasse cars through India.
Here is a larger version of one of the pictures + one from a1958 expedition:

courtesy: cartype.com

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dkw-india.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dkw-india-1956.jpg
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 17:27   #2624
BHPian

Just dug out these photos of my late grandfathers car.
He's been through a lot of cars, but unfortunately no other photos are available.

The registration plate reads MSZ 5975.

Any idea which car this is ?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1.jpg  

eagle_f1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 17:32   #2625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_f1 View Post
Just dug out these photos of my late grandfathers car.
He's been through a lot of cars, but unfortunately no other photos are available.

The registration plate reads MSZ 5975.

Any idea which car this is ?
It is an Austin Atlantic. Created with exports to the U.S. in mind ?

I believe the 2-door came starting 1949.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed