Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 04:41   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Sat I can't really help with suggestions on transfer, maybe one of the other more contributory forum members can help.
2 copies of the DVD will shortly be on the way to you if you still desire them after having seen it here. (I hope the utube link is working. I don't see any post from anyone who has seen it.... maybe the link doesn't work, though it does for me).
Julian, thanks for sharing these wonderful bits of nostalgia. Both links work. I also noticed that one of the RR's "failed to proceed" with a flat tire (or tyre?)!
Old 21st September 2008, 16:58   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Again, regrettably (:sigh:! ) definitely not any of our family cars but definitely nostalgic! 'took a pic. of this photo from my maternal uncle's wedding album on my trip to madras the other day. That's him in the back seat, circa 1974, Madras.
The car appears to be a 1954 Plymouth convertible, comparing it with the photo of a similar model, its missing the trim on the front fender plus one more badge.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_1427.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...op-origins.jpg

http://info.detnews.com/dn/joyrides/...ymouthconv.jpg

Unfortunately this is the only "proper" pic. of said car I could find! Incidentally, I guess this was at a time before heralds/Impalas became outdated enough to be used more commonly as wedding cars. I'd earlier uploaded a pic. of An Austin A 40 Somerset convertible used to ferry my dad for my parents' wedding in 1969.

I'd also seen wedding pics. of another uncle in madras (now no more although his family still lives there) and his brother's, where heralds were used for the bArAt on both occasions. Unfortunately I didnt get to visit them again ('been atleast 6 years now!) but the next time I do, I will definitely ask them for pics. of those snaps as well- those are really worth watching!

Last edited by Stanher : 21st September 2008 at 17:02.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2008, 13:17   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Some lovely pictures here, many we have seen before.

Kolkata Board - The Largest Bengali Community [Powered by Invision Power Board]
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-7.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:52   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Still no luck identifying the others here?

Quote:
Another and the last pic I will post on the Telco subject. Here you can see the persons very clearly. Hope now somebody will identify them.
On the back of the photo it says
Mannheim Plant
A batch of 4 engines OM 312 ready for shipment to Jamshedpur
Also noteworthy, it says "MADE IN GERMANY". Why noteworthy? Because in those days, most German products were labelled as "Made in Western Germany"

Now get to indentify these folks.

Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-7yy.jpg  

Old 6th October 2008, 17:39   #290
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of my grandfather standing next to a truck which I assume was owned by our company. He is the gentleman in the suit. Im sure I remember seeing other older pictures of our cars. Ill try to find them when I'm back home again.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-2533301200088689010zycaex_fs.jpg

Can someone help me identify that truck. Is it the truck made by PAL?
khanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2008, 08:09   #291
BHPian

Misc. Old pictures

The two young Sikhs are my uncles, sitting on a old Lamb, and a BSA Single in the back.
An unidentified Sikh, Army man on a BSA Single. Maybe a dispatch bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-sikh.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ninilali23.jpg  

roopgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2008, 12:11   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Lots of coachbuilders built dual cowl tourers
I have managed to convert some of the film to avi from dvd and have uploaded it to utube, see here, 5 1/2 minutes of it. There are some railway scenes in the middle.

YouTube - Rolls-Royce in India 1920s
Hi,

these arevery nice clippings of the era gone by .I have seen lots of B/W pictures but these moving pictures are rare.

Keep up the good work ,I lookforward to see some more ...

Tuchha
Old 10th October 2008, 21:20   #293
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Club Special

Here is one from my photo album a picture of my grandfather Mr S R Sabnis posing with his Fiat 1100 Balilla, Fiatwallahs and members of the Fiat club will recognize the backround as Dadar Parsee colony where our Fiat Club meetings are held currently.

The registration no of the car was BMX 7948, I would appreciate any leads on this particular car. This picture was shot sometime in the late 40's he was manager of the Shreenivas Cotton mills then.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-sabnis45.gif  

Last edited by the mole : 10th October 2008 at 21:23. Reason: additional info
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 22:30   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The registration no of the car was BMX 7948, I would appreciate any leads on this particular car. This picture was shot sometime in the late 40's he was manager of the Shreenivas Cotton mills then.
What a terrific picture! Do try digging up RTO records, you never know it may still be alive.
Old 10th October 2008, 23:12   #295
Senior - BHPian

some more pics from our photo album.

The first one shot in calcutta, the man standing in the pic may have been my grandfathers boss, but I am not sure. The Car is a Dodge.

Second Picture is a family friends car, The G registration is Portugeuse goan registration and the car a Buick?? I am not too good at identifying American cars.Sorry Dont miss the carriage at the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0002.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0006.jpg  

the mole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2008, 23:35   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
some more pics from our photo album.

The first one shot in calcutta, the man standing in the pic may have been my grandfathers boss, but I am not sure. The Car is a Dodge.

Second Picture is a family friends car, The G registration is Portugeuse goan registration and the car a Buick?? I am not too good at identifying American cars.Sorry Dont miss the carriage at the back.
The second car looks like a 1950 Chevrolet Styleline / Deluxe. We had one that was sold in Chennai approx 1995
Old 28th October 2008, 15:44   #297
BHPian

Just managed to get these scanned from a huge bundle of old family photographs which I keep on promising to organise.

The first photograph is my grandfathers 1937/8 Buick Special Convertible. Thios was the ultra rare model with no boot. Photographed in Peshawar around 1944/45. He had the car from new, and it was part of my mothers "jahez" when she got married in 1954. My father kept it for another six years and then sold it in 1960. Never knew what happened to it.
It was used extensively on the Peshawar - New Delhi, and Rawalpindi -Srinager route covering the run about four to five times a year. Never broke down or disgraced itself.

The second photopraph was taken in what used to be the Punjab Club, in Lahore in 1947 January, just before the partition of India.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scanbuick.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan.jpg  

Last edited by Alvis : 28th October 2008 at 15:52.
Alvis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2008, 22:11   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
The first photograph is my grandfathers 1937/8 Buick Special Convertible. Thios was the ultra rare model with no boot.
Lovely pics. I suppose this is it? No sidemounts though.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-25.jpg
Old 29th October 2008, 10:07   #299
BHPian

Karl,

I think it was a Series 80, as far as I know you could not get sidemounts with the 40 series. Externally the 80 series had additional chrome strips on the rear fender and chip guards on the doors. Very minor differences to front fender also. I am straining memory of articles read many moons ago so any further information or correction from any source will be welcome.

Also I have been told that this was the only Buick convertible in what was then western India. It also had the honour of being used by Mr Jinnah during his visit to the Frontier province during 1946, and it transported him all the way to the then India-Afgan border at Torkham and back to Peshawar.
The Nawab of Dir still have a hardtop 40 series from 1938, plus one other 1938 40 series hardtop has come out of the Bahawalpur state auctions. This car is for sale in Karachi.
Old 29th October 2008, 10:20   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Karl,

I think it was a Series 80, as far as I know you could not get sidemounts with the 40 series. Externally the 80 series had additional chrome strips on the rear fender and chip guards on the doors. Very minor differences to front fender also. I am straining memory of articles read many moons ago so any further information or correction from any source will be welcome.
Well you mentioned Special and that picture was the closest match. Would this be closer? She is a Roadmaster though, and the only 80 series bootless convertible in the line up I have. Or perhaps yours was special order. Note that this is the 38 lineup, I couldn't find a close match in the 37 lineup.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-08.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-17.jpg  

Most Viewed