Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 21:35   #3061
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Another Pope "India" picture from a few years later. Looks like Citroen Type H.

courtesy: CNN

Attachment 1254106
One of those Type H is rusting here in Nagpur.
Old 27th June 2014, 18:24   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Found this picture in our old family album, .... Most interesting is the van/bus/camper ?.....
A similar camper was lying at Gwalior Tank with a car guy who used it for storage. It had some sort of special transmission which went bust. Must have been scrapped eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks for sharing - I thought we'd see him riding in the Lincoln Continental though - supposed to have been imported for the occasion.
This is mysterious, you see in the clips, pope, airport Air India, Alitalia, many cars but no Lincoln. In the attached picture the car must be the Lincoln convertible. It does not add up.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-pope.jpg

Quote:
... Meanwhile, here is a FIAT truck - also part of the 1966 fleet. The sign on the far right truck may have said Caritas.
I don't know when this happened, but a Fiat truck of a similar kind toured at least all over in south India with a trailer attached. I have many photos of the tour, here is one of them. Don't know what was the purpose, did Fiat want to get involved in truck manufacture in India?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-fiat-truck.jpg

Lots of questions in this post

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 20:46   #3063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Karl & Prem,

Going by the Caritas Badge on the Pune one, it may well have been one of those seen in the "Pope Pictues". Caritas were the Direct Charity agency run by the Vatican and is still active in India

Prem might recall there used to be grey coloured MB 6 Tonner Truck in Trivandrum, which I think is a 66 Model as well and may have come to India as part of this famine aid effort

Best Regards & Drive safe

Ram
Looks like the total Pope Fleet sent to India for famine relief was 72 vehicles:

courtesy: St. Petersburg Times, Feb 28, 1966

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-pope-truck-st-petersburg-times-feb-28-1966-pic2.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-pope-truck-st-petersburg-times-feb-28-1966.jpg

So potentially 40 FIAT trucks, 30 Citroen H Vans and 2 M-B trucks / vans

Last edited by travancore : 27th June 2014 at 20:50.
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 09:53   #3064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
While trying to look for this Hotel in Puri , I came across this website and couple of pictures.
http://www.brahmafamily.com/articles.aspx

Not sure if this picture has been seen before here
" Puri Accident" The website states " Car Accident in Puri in 1927 between the district collectors car's and our's ...."

cheers
Kartik

Kartik,
The registration of the car on the left would be BO 33 PU for Bihar & Orissa Puri. Or maybe 133 etc.
Cheers
Cedric
sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 18:54   #3065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is a Commer Camper.

Attachment 1252763

Attachment 1252764

Remember having a 1/43 scale Commer van as a child - can't remember who it was made by (it was an Indian company)
Now I remember - it was a Milton Toy. Mine was a white non-ambulance version.

Milton Toys were either made from Corgi dies, or rather good local copies.

courtesy: vectisuk

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-commer-van-milton-india4.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:10   #3066
BHPian

Ford showroon 1899
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ford-showroon-1899.jpg

INDIA Gate IN 1935.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-india-gate-1935-delhi.jpg

Aerial View of the Republic Day Parade in Delhi Taken from the Top of India Gate in 1951
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-aerial-view-republic-day-parade-delhi-taken-top-india-gate-1951.jpg
shomshree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 09:43   #3067
Distinguished - BHPian

This picture of Pandit Nehru and Lady Mountbatten was shared on FB page of HMCI , the picture is supposed to be from Shimla, and the car is mentioned as Sunbeam Talbot.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-10501456_10154324910925368_1789744576_n.jpg

This picture can be found elsewhere on the net, but with derogatory references to the former PM, so I am not posting those links.
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:18   #3068
Senior - BHPian

A wedding photo from the firodia archives from 1933 the city is Poona. Which car brand is this?Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1404899293.370424.jpg Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1404899222.438215.jpg
the mole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:24   #3069
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a Chevrolet

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A wedding photo from the firodia archives from 1933 the city is Poona. Which car brand is this?Attachment 1259604 Attachment 1259603
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:33   #3070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A wedding photo from the firodia archives from 1933 the city is Poona. Which car brand is this?Attachment 1259604 Attachment 1259603
Definitely a Chevy Tourer, between 1929-31 I would guess.

If you look closely there are atleast 6 cars lost in the sea of humanity! And some parts of Pune still look exactly the same.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 00:14   #3071

Deepak, That IS Prince Azam Jah.
Old 10th July 2014, 12:00   #3072
Senior - BHPian

Some period pictures of Sir Salar Jung's home Dewan Deodi in Hyderabad with some cars visible, can anyone identify them
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-2.jpg  

wasif is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 17:52   #3073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Some period pictures of Sir Salar Jung's home Dewan Deodi in Hyderabad with some cars visible, can anyone identify them
It seems the cars rear is visible and thats 47 Buick
Old 10th July 2014, 19:46   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Folks! This will be a slightly detailed post. Quoting my posts on my Premier Padmini of Paa.

These are a few lines from my own posts in the various threads on tbhp with regards to my beloved Premier Padmini.

1) From my Intro thread:
Quote:
At my home the first car that we owned was a 2nd owner 1989 Premier Padmini (Non-AC) which carried me till the time I was in my college upto July 2006.
2) From my Esteem's Review thread:
Quote:
He was fine with the 2nd user Premier Padmini that we owned from 1991 to October 2006. Even I grew up while sitting and enjoying the premier's ride. My schooling and good part of my college life had involved the Premier Padmini. After a few months, My life took a bitter turn, It was not possible for us to maintain 2 cars at that time as earnings of the family did not permit. So, we sold off the Premier Padmini to our mechanic who betrayed us by getting it scrapped. When I got to know, I thought how much pain my car would have felt? , where would it be now? , I knew I could do nothing to save her and win her back. But that strong will of winning back a loved possession is still very much there in me. I will give back my Paa the 1st car of his life. I had kissed her for the last time in October 2006.
3) From Tarzan the wonder car thread of our forum
Quote:
since Tarzan has been a motivator for me to plan and gift back my Paa his beloved Premier Padmini soon just like the story of this movie
4) From Dr Kannan's thread:

Quote:
@Dr Kannan, Being a ex-owner of fiat Padmini 1989 model these pics of your vehicle remind me of my car. My dad too bought it 2nd hand in 91. And till 2006 September we had the fiat. My dad too just like your's was very particular on the over-all upkeep of the car. He spent alot on maintaining it. I remember in 1995 we got in touch with one of the best car customizer here in delhi i.e Pandit and Co. My dad spent about 80K for full customizing inculding apholstry and paint job at that time and honestly the job was superbly done. Till the time we had the vehicle it would give us an average of 12-13kmpl all thanks to my dad's love for that car.

The sad part was, when we got the esteem in 2006 we sold the fiat to a well acquinted mechanic of our for 16K with a promise from him that he wont dis-mantle it or sell to scrap dealers. Eventually he betrayed. From that day onwards, I always keep it as a aim to own a fiat padmini and get it restored just the way my 1st was. I become very emotional when ever i see the movie Tarzan the wonder car, The son brings back the car to life which was once owned by his dad. The day i do this, it will be the greatest accomplishment personally.
Here is the beauty which I lost after 15 years in October 2006 and plan to buy another one and present it to Paa! Though the exact one is no more but my aim is to make him relive his fond memories once again. It was maintained by my uncle's workshop Pandit & Co in Okhla Phase 3, New Delhi.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan_pic0001.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan_pic0002.jpg

Credit: Team-bhp and Dr. Kannan (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...-father-4.html)

Miss you my dear!

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 21:04   #3075
BHPian

A pic of olde Bangalore, in the city market area.

Source : https://www.facebook.com/groups/bygonebangalore/
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1.jpg  

Last edited by FordDodo : 10th July 2014 at 21:13.
FordDodo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks