Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 16:48   #796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Moralfibre sent me this great link with some super WW2 photos in India, China and Burma

India 1 - a set on Flickr

One image shows a street scene with some cars visible, it appears to be Calcutta, but the only regn number visible reads KAR 4147 so can't say. maybe Pakistan.

The two tone Wolseley with black out headlights may be a taxi? It seems to have a plate on the roof.
Did you notice that between the two pictures, the Wolseley taxi does not seem to have moved.
Did you notice that the cars do not seem to have the war-time white paint on the border of the mudguards.
The nearer car seems to be a General Motors product, probably a Buick.
Now where is this? Is there or was there a Paradise cinema in Kolkata? The building appears to be a corner building, art deco style and the movie being shown is "They died with their boots on"
Attached is a photo of such a cinema. If we assume that all photos came from the same place, then maybe we can identify the location.
Let us have some feedback from Kolkata.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-calcinema.jpg  

Old 24th September 2009, 16:53   #797
BANNED

Quote:
WW2 photos in India, China and Burma

maybe Pakistan.
If it is WW2 then how can it be Pakistan? WW2 ended before Pakistan was formed.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-2164967682_78a9449007.jpg

But then there is the above picture that has a board that says Gandhi Garden. Gandhi Garden is located in Karachi, Pakistan. So its post independence pictures in Pakistan, but not necessarily post WW2.

Also it says, India, China and Burma. The cars are possibly in Pakistan with the added details of the visible number plates.

Last edited by Spitfire : 24th September 2009 at 17:01.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:05   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Did you notice that between the two pictures, the Wolseley taxi does not seem to have moved.
That is because it is the same picture, where I have simply cropped the unwanted portions and posted in full size for our interest. The first picture is compressed from the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Attachment 197141

But then there is the above picture that has a board that says Gandhi Garden. Gandhi Garden is located in Karachi, Pakistan. So its post independence pictures but not necessarily post WW2.
When I say Pakistan I mean pre partion India what is now Pakistan, probably Karachi going by the developed landscape and KAR registration. It must be WW2 time as the G.I.s in the photos are always photo'd in uniform.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:16   #799
Senior - BHPian

Cinema Paradiso

Quote:
Now where is this? Is there or was there a Paradise cinema in Kolkata? The building appears to be a corner building, art deco style and the movie being shown is "They died with their boots on"
Attached is a photo of such a cinema. If we assume that all photos came from the same place, then maybe we can identify the location.
Your wish is my command.

To answer the question, yes there was and still is a Paradise cinema in Kolkata. Its on Bentinck Street, less than 1/2 km from Esplanade Crossing while going towards Lal Bazar. 3-4 decades ago, it used to be the upper-class choice for Hollywood movies. My dad has fond memories of watching all Sergio Leone westerns (Good, Bad and the Ugly, For a few dollars more etc) at this hall in his younger days.

Unfortunately, by the time my generation was old enough to go movie-hopping, Paradise had degenerated to a shadow of its former self. The hall itself had been made smaller, the sides had been rented out, and the entrance was changed to the portion beside the road (note the red highlighted portion on your pic).

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-paradise-cinema-edited.jpg

The last movie I saw here is Kabhie Khushi Kabhi gham (don't ask)

This is what it looks like now (pic courtesy Flickr)

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-cinema-paradise-now.jpg
Old 24th September 2009, 18:16   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Your wish is my command.

To answer the question, yes there was and still is a Paradise cinema in Kolkata. Its on Bentinck Street, less than 1/2 km from Esplanade Crossing while going towards Lal Bazar. 3-4 decades ago, it used to be the upper-class choice for Hollywood movies. My dad has fond memories of watching all Sergio Leone westerns (Good, Bad and the Ugly, For a few dollars more etc) at this hall in his younger days.

Unfortunately, by the time my generation was old enough to go movie-hopping, Paradise had degenerated to a shadow of its former self. The hall itself had been made smaller, the sides had been rented out, and the entrance was changed to the portion beside the road (note the red highlighted portion on your pic).

The last movie I saw here is Kabhie Khushi Kabhi gham (don't ask)

This is what it looks like now (pic courtesy Flickr)
Hi Predrator,

Thanks for your effort. Somehow I feel that these are not the same Paradise cinemas. Perhaps our friends in Karachi can check and let us know about Gandhi Garden and Paradise cinema. Will ask them.
Now putting together all the info, one could safely deduce that at least some of these pics were from Karachi. That is why no war paint on the cars, Karachi was never really a target being too far.
Shall revert when I get some info.

Cheers harit

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th September 2009 at 19:36. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:21   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Predrator,

Thanks for your effort. Somehow I fell that these are not the same Paradise cinemas. Perhaps our friends in Karachi can check and let us know about Gandhi Garden and Paradise cinema. WIll ask them.
Now putting together all the info, one could safely deduce that at least some of these pics were from Karachi. That is why no war paint on the cars, Karachi was never really a target being too far.
Shall revert when I get some info.

Cheers harit
I'd still say they are the same Paradise cinema. Note those parallel strakes running upward, ahead of the roofline. The same can be seen behind the Delhi 6 poster in the other pic.

Anyway, without getting into debate, let me get this pic verified from the friend at home (hehe, bad joke dad). He has seen Paradise in its heyday and will be able to identify in an instant.
Old 24th September 2009, 19:57   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does it say Calcutta anywhere on the photo? If not, then it could be Hyderabad too, as there was a 'Paradise talkies' here at Secunderabad for a while. Close to the even more famous Paradise restaurant, which still stands.

It was said to have been torn down later as it wasn't doing too well.
Old 24th September 2009, 20:23   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Does it say Calcutta anywhere on the photo? If not, then it could be Hyderabad too, as there was a 'Paradise talkies' here at Secunderabad for a while. Close to the even more famous Paradise restaurant, which still stands.

It was said to have been torn down later as it wasn't doing too well.
Boss thats not what the Paradise Theater in Hyderabad looked like anyway
Old 24th September 2009, 20:48   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Boss thats not what the Paradise Theater in Hyderabad looked like anyway
Yes, sorry, it seems my post appeared just after pw's!

Do you recall until when said theatre in Hyd. existed btw? Did it during the era of my beloved 'Standards'?
Old 25th September 2009, 13:46   #805
Senior - BHPian

Stan.

I am not sure of the exact dates but it definitely existed till the end of the seventies along with the equally old and famous Plaza theater and the Lighthouse theater opposite Tivoli.

Plaza was known for its ceiling fans falling off and killing unlucky moviegoers. I remeber seeing Samson & delilah there, it was an house full situation and they put extra folding chairs in the isles to accomodate the others.
Old 26th September 2009, 11:44   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Attachment 197141

But then there is the above picture that has a board that says Gandhi Garden. Gandhi Garden is located in Karachi, Pakistan. So its post independence pictures in Pakistan, but not necessarily post WW2.

Also it says, India, China and Burma. The cars are possibly in Pakistan with the added details of the visible number plates.
How did Spitfire know that Gandhi Garden is in Karachi? Googled?
Well after checking with our friends on PakWheels, they could confirm that this set of pics is indeed by and large Karachi. Gandhi Garden is still called as such by the older folks, so it must have been renamed. Paradise Cinema also existed there, but has been demolished for a high rise. The existing Paradise Cinema in Calcutta could not have been a part of the building shown in the picture, the way the road moves is different. There are slight similarities, but it is not the same.
Now lots is explained. KAR registration, no war paint on car fenders as there was no danger of an attack.
The period is probably during WW II, maybe 1940 upwards when there was one India.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 26th September 2009 at 11:51.
Old 26th September 2009, 14:29   #807
Senior - BHPian

Some images i found while browsing...
1.Image of a british bungalow in Ranchi with most probably a 1913 Darracq parked.
2.Sorry Image after partition riots with probably a 35/36 chevy truck in the background....
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-partition.jpg  

Old 28th September 2009, 14:36   #808
BHPian

Quote:
My 1960 Standard 10 had them, don't know about the 58 Super 10. Most contemporary cars sported them, but soon we switched exclusively to the tubed variety.
Tubeless Tyres were around even in the 60's but have not seen them used as Tubeless Tyres in the strict sense. They were available for imported cars which had tubless tyres. I understand that the rims of our cars were not designed for tubeless tyres. Even in the imported cars, when the tyres get punctured, the filling necks were removed and a standard tube is inserted straight away to be on the safer side.

My 1967 Herald had only normal cross ply tyres.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:01   #809
Senior - BHPian

Came across this interesting "Shikar" picture. Looks like a large Packard ? Any idea who this person is apart from the fact that he is a great hunter going by the bag in front of him
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-shilkar.jpg  

Old 28th September 2009, 19:02   #810
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Came across this interesting "Shikar" picture. Looks like a large Packard ? Any idea who this person is apart from the fact that he is a great hunter going by the bag in front of him
Wow what a Packard. Just look at all those hunting lamps. Fabulous picture !!!

It appears to be a 1930 Packard 740 Phaeton. The person looks a lot like Prince Azamjah. Wow

The only other person I can think of is Prince Hamidullah of Bhopal, (remember his hunting lamps Bentley?). But I think this is Azamjah

Last edited by DKG : 28th September 2009 at 19:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks