Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:58   #1261
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a repost of the very previous picture to check if it works well as there are more interesting pictures to post. They will be much beter if they are clearer.
Works BRILLIANTLY!!!. Lot of details are visible.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:07   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Some things never change. When there is a fire, there will be sooner or later a fire engine.

But if you look closely, you will see a very early fire engine, a Merryweather or a Morris. These can be seen in Museums, but pictures of them in action are rare. No idea of where, when and whatever.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-fire-01.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 11:37   #1263
Senior - BHPian

These pictures seem to be related to an old Marathi movie, can someone comment on this? Also, the names of the actors clearly identified in the pictures?
These pictures were mounted, in quite a bad condition, but maybe have some archival value.
The title name pasted at the bottom of each picture is scanned separately.
Another thing, are the headlights on the Ford a "Deshi" product made for the replacement market in India? These are seen on many cars, and the rim looks quite crude.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-marathi-pic-01.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-marathi-pic-02.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-marathi-pic-03.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 16:36   #1264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These pictures seem to be related to an old Marathi movie, can someone comment on this? Also, the names of the actors clearly identified in the pictures?
These pictures were mounted, in quite a bad condition, but maybe have some archival value.
The title name pasted at the bottom of each picture is scanned separately.
Another thing, are the headlights on the Ford a "Deshi" product made for the replacement market in India? These are seen on many cars, and the rim looks quite crude.

Cheers harit
The movie should be relatively recent, as we see names that are still familiar (Dilip Prabhawalkar played Gandhi in Munnabhai and Bharati Achrekar is still seen in many ads/serials/movies - and both are still not very old). In the picture the actor dressed like a Parsi is probably Viju Khote.
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:18   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The movie should be relatively recent, as we see names that are still familiar (Dilip Prabhawalkar played Gandhi in Munnabhai and Bharati Achrekar is still seen in many ads/serials/movies - and both are still not very old). In the picture the actor dressed like a Parsi is probably Viju Khote.
That is Viju Khote in the first snap.

That movie was released in 1979.

Dilip Prabhavalkar ---- Cinemas
Old 4th July 2010, 14:33   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These pictures seem to be related to an old Marathi movie, can someone comment on this?
Cheers harit
He he ! Chimanrao-Gundyabhau were hilarious Marathi TV-comic characters.. the very mention of the word Chimanrao (Dilip Prabhavalkar) will still elicit laughter from someone who has watched their antics.

After a good run as a TV series, they came out with a full length movie, from which these visuals are taken. Chimanrao's exploits with the car he purchases, are a treat to watch ! Thanks for the memories, Harit .
Old 5th July 2010, 16:34   #1267
Senior - BHPian

1st Herald in the family

Hello All,

Attached is a picture of my cousin with his Standard Herald and his family (it could have been a good advert photo for Standard Herald isn't it - a young doctor with his first car and his young family and dog).

This was the first Herald Car in my family and I was very very facinated with its floor shift (then the Amby, Landmaster, Fiat etc all had the steering gear). After this there were two more Heralds bought new by various family member 1967 MK II by another cousin and 1968 MK II by my Dad.

For Shyam - It is 1965 MK 1 - delivered in July 1965. The year my cousin started working in Medical College after completing his MBBS from Chennai. This particular photo would be sometime in 1971 (judging my neices's picture)

It was the original colour - white. The Bonnet Logo was on a light blue background.

He sold that car in 1971 end or 1972

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gopimayagayathry-.jpg  

Old 5th July 2010, 18:20   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello All,

Attached is a picture of my cousin with his Standard Herald and his family (it could have been a good advert photo for Standard Herald isn't it - a young doctor with his first car and his young family and dog).

Ram
Great photo Ram, thanks for digging it out!
Old 5th July 2010, 22:33   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After this there were two more Heralds bought new by various family member 1967 MK II by another cousin and 1968 MK II by my Dad.

For Shyam - It is 1965 MK 1 - delivered in July 1965. The year my cousin started working in Medical College after completing his MBBS from Chennai. This particular photo would be sometime in 1971 (judging my neices's picture)

It was the original colour - white. The Bonnet Logo was on a light blue background.
Thanks for the lovely pic. ram! I'm really jealous to be honest, 'wish someone from my family had a pic. like this! He sure would've been among the lucky few to afford buying a car like this brand new at a young age! (The herald I understand cost Rs. 14,000/- then and it was a big amount those days)
And yes, indeed, it couldve made for a superb period ad or brochure cover!

A pity standard motors didnt think of such innovative/creative publicity!

I reckon it could've been a '64 model delivered in '65, because the blue background on the bonnet badge came only upto 1964. '65 onwards it was black, and on the very last of the mk1s, the base of the badge was black instead of chrome. This continued on the mk2s.

I remember you having mentioned this car earlier, in another thread. The regn., IIRC was 7667 or 7337? You did mention that the doctor had sold the car while moving to the UK for further studies/career. But I remember it being mentioned that the original colour was powder blue, repainted white in the late 60s? I think I had also seen the same car in another pic. (visible in the background) of a vintage rally in Trivandrum that you'd uploaded some time ago.

Anyways, always nice to see such pics.
Old 5th July 2010, 23:02   #1270
BHPian

ahh !!! I wish I could have TIME MACHINE. I could go back-back-back and feel the GOLDEN ERA.

GReat pictures.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:21   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
(The herald I understand cost Rs. 14,000/- then and it was a big amount those days)

I remember you having mentioned this car earlier, in another thread. The regn., IIRC was 7667 or 7337? But I remember it being mentioned that the original colour was powder blue, repainted white in the late 60s? I think I had also seen the same car in another pic. (visible in the background) of a vintage rally in Trivandrum that you'd uploaded some time ago.
In 1968 MK II was costing Rs 16,000.00 so possible it was 14,000 in 1965. I was 6 years old in 1965 hence, price was beyond my knowledge

The number is 7667. The 7337 was my 1988 Premier Padmini

The colour - I mixed it up. Originally it was White and then repainted powder Blue.

By the way Travncore's cousin is also in the picture and she is an MD as well.

Ram
Old 6th July 2010, 10:22   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In 1968 MK II was costing Rs 16,000.00 so possible it was 14,000 in 1965. I was 6 years old in 1965 hence, price was beyond my knowledge

The number is 7667. The 7337 was my 1988 Premier Padmini

The colour - I mixed it up. Originally it was White and then repainted powder Blue.

By the way Travncore's cousin is also in the picture and she is an MD as well.

Ram
This KLT7667 was powder blue colour in 1989 and was then owned by an advocate who stayed in Subash Nagar and he had an Austin Cambridge also. he sold this car in 1992 or so. I have personally seen the engine bay of this car once when it had a battery failure.

Old 7th July 2010, 18:58   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Attached is a picture of my cousin with his Standard Herald and his family (it could have been a good advert photo for Standard Herald isn't it - a young doctor with his first car and his young family and dog). Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe Ram
Why was the face of the dog not covered?

Just a joke, it was really noticable.

Regarding the old days never changing, we see how even in the days of old youngsters would often misuse their automobiles to impress the gal. If they are empty headed, they do stunts and speed, if they are smart and can converse/impress, they get cozy.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-toy-02.jpg  

Old 8th July 2010, 10:14   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some things will NEVER change. Like small boys getting hooked onto cars and starting to phantasize, like this kid filling air into his "tyre". So many of us phantasized about cars, being racing car drivers, designing them, repairing them etc. That will never change.

Cheers harit
Harit,

Your observation is 100% correct. Continuing on the "maintenance activities on kid cars" another picture where the kid is hosing down the under carriage of his Kid Car.

Quote:
Why was the face of the dog not covered?
Because only "Chipsy" was really photogenic

Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-toy-car01.jpg  

Old 8th July 2010, 14:29   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,
Because only "Chipsy" was really photogenic
Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe
Ram
Do you really mean that? Just wait till...............finds out.(You cover the eyes, I cover the name) Tee Hee, only two smilies allowed. Tee Hee!!

The boy hosing down hie pedal car is a very fine picture indeed.
BTW, pedal cars have become collectible too!

Another thing that never changes in India is the desire to have an open car for processions. earlier they used genuine vintage tourers, then they chopped the American cars, Contessa's, Gazel's and so on. Here is an old procession in Jamnagar. Car is a Chevy. BTW, GM is trying to discourage use of that name, Chevy. They want that full name Chevrolet be used. Note the number plate, I have never seen the JAM series elsewhere again.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-chevy-5.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 8th July 2010 at 14:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks