Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 19:01   #1321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is an old Standard for viewing pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
No such luck. Truth be told, it is simply a low car. Here is one from my family albums for comparison.
Thanks for the pic. harit!

Yes, as karl says, it is indeed a low-slung car, as even shown in the childhood pic. of his dad (karl, you told me he was 12 when the pic. was taken, IIRC?), which is one reason my parents werent too fond of it! Ironically they eventually went for a M800, which is also a low-slung car as far as i could make out!
Old 20th August 2010, 11:11   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Okay, the following pics are not exactly family car photos , but since they are "nostalgic " (IMHO) and "old" i am posting them here. Karlos , Harit Sir if you feel they are out of place in this thread will move them out. Salman
Lovely pics, keep up the great work to show us the past
Old 21st August 2010, 14:17   #1323
Senior - BHPian

An older filmy photo, but not very old. Famous star seen behind. Which car is this? Somehow it looks suspicious, maybe modified, I cannot place it. Let us hear from the filmy fans.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-filmi.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 21st August 2010 at 14:22.
Old 21st August 2010, 14:21   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Is this from a South Indian movie? Car registration is not clear, TMB? 5859. And who are the stars?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-filmi.-02jpg.jpg  

Old 21st August 2010, 15:35   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this from a South Indian movie? Car registration is not clear, TMB? 5859. And who are the stars?

Cheers harit
Your Joking right? I am sure you have heard about Parveen Babi and Ranjeet. Could the car in the first pic with Prem Chopra and Rajnikant be a Peugeot or a Volvo?

Last edited by the mole : 21st August 2010 at 15:38.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:49   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Your Joking right? I am sure you have heard about Parveen Babi and Ranjeet. Could the car in the first pic with Prem Chopra and Rajnikant be a Peugeot or a Volvo?
You are right, I have heard about Parveen Babi and Ranjeet, I have a car once owned by Ranjeet. But hearing about someone and recognizing them are two different aspects. So, I was not joking.
I doubt Peugeot or Volvo, which model did you have in mind. Maybe the angle is such that we get misled.
And here is a proud gent with his Herald! Could be in Bombay, but where? Note Fiat in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-5-.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2010, 15:59   #1327
Senior - BHPian

In this picture there are two Heralds!
And a Stude station wagon, an Austin. Any guesses which is the car in the front?
Today I am very partial to Stanher
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-6-.jpg  

Old 21st August 2010, 16:39   #1328
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are pictures of bikes and scooter owned by us over the years. Unfortunately we did not retain any of these bikes.

This picture is of my Dad and his 1959 Irish Royal Enfield, which he fondly called "Natalie"
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-re.jpg

Natalie would move up and down over bumps
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-re-rear.jpg

My first Matchless, 1951. I bought it for Rs. 6k and spent another 8k to restore!

MYV 1282 Before
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ml-before.jpg

MYV 1282 After
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ml-after.jpg

My Dad, Nephew and I pose in front of the Matchless and Morris Minor. We paid 17K for a single owner Morris Minor in 1992! It was very original and a superb runner.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ml-mm.jpg

Another Matchless, 1952 which I should have not sold MYO 1009. My mechanic Sundar was most disappointed that I had sold this bike.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ml2.jpg

This is 1955 BSA Shooting Star 500 CC Twin. I wish I could have retained this bike but need the money then. I sold this around 10 years back
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ss.jpg

Our ever faithful 1972 Lambretta MEB 5420. My dad had run over 50K KMS on this scooter. The picture has my sister and me in it
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lamby.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2010, 16:52   #1329
Senior - BHPian

I felt so nice looking at your dad's Fiat pic sometime back. And now so many bike pics. Truly wonderful.

Edit: I just can't stop looking at the pics again and again. The bike "Matchless" is just superb. Surely no other bike can match this bike.

Whose kid is that in the Minor pic?

Last edited by funkykar : 21st August 2010 at 16:56.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:01   #1330
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I felt so nice looking at your dad's Fiat pic sometime back. And now so many bike pics. Truly wonderful.

Edit: I just can't stop looking at the pics again and again. The bike "Matchless" is just superb. Surely no other bike can match this bike.

Whose kid is that in the Minor pic?
Thanks Karthik for your kind words. Yes the Matchless had this lazy feel when you rode it. You had to open throttle slowly and the bike would respond well.

The kid is my sisters son Ashwin who is in Canada and all of 18 years old now. This picture was taken 17 years back.

Cheers

KPS
Old 21st August 2010, 17:05   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
harit

Do not know what the bus is but the route it is running on seems to be Pindi-Murree. Rawalpindi was the Head Quarter Western command, Indian Army and Murree was/is a hill station to which the gora sahib retired when it got too hot in the plains. very similiar to Simla, but on a much smaller scale.
The bus says Civil and military contractor, so probably carried all the orderly's, peons and the like, and top right hand side of roof says Pindi - Murree.
This was posted some time back already, but an onlooker has recently shared some information, which might be of further interest. The photo indeed shows a vehicle of one of two bus lines plying between Pindi and Murree, i.e. either Pindi Murree Transport (red color bus) or Murree Hills Transport (green color). The one line reads "Govt Military Transport contractor" and there was a military establishment to which it might have been connected, but the eyewitness remembers them to be private services. The distance between the places was just 39 miles, but buses climbed from some 1000 to 6000-7000 feet and took about two to two and a half hrs altogether. They would stop midway at a place called Charra pani. Buses did not ply according to timetable but irregularly and left as soon as they were filled. The number of commuters peaked in summers (between May and September), when Murree became the destination of affluent people escaping the heat in cities. During winter, many people in Murree would go down to the plains to find work and escape the cold. While a day trip was rare during the pre-independence period, it is very common now. There was also once a flourishing fruit trade, especially in dried fruits, between Srinagar and Pindi via Murree, some of which might have been transported on buses.

Do mention if there are any other old pix of cars, buses and the like from the region (Rawalpindi, Murree, Lahore or Peshawar)!
Old 21st August 2010, 17:47   #1332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And here is a proud gent with his Herald! Could be in Bombay, but where? Note Fiat in the background.
Quote:
And a Stude station wagon, an Austin. Any guesses which is the car in the front?
Today I am very partial to Stanher
Thank you harit thank you!!!

You just made my day!! Bombay too, it appears, had a sizeable number of Stanhers...wonder what's become of these cars subsequently!

The first pic. shows another herald in the background....also it looks as if the herald is fixed with fiat select side-indicators.

'will revert more in detail later once my PC is fixed!

Last edited by Stanher : 21st August 2010 at 17:49.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:53   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Here are pictures of bikes and scooter owned by us over the years. Unfortunately we did not retain any of these bikes.
This picture is of my Dad and his 1959 Irish Royal Enfield, which he fondly called "Natalie"
Natalie would move up and down over bumps
My Dad, Nephew and I pose in front of the Matchless and Morris Minor. We paid 17K for a single owner Morris Minor in 1992! It was very original and a superb runner.
Another Matchless, 1952 which I should have not sold MYO 1009.
This is 1955 BSA Shooting Star 500 CC Twin. I wish I could have retained this bike but need the money then. I sold this around 10 years back
Our ever faithful 1972 Lambretta MEB 5420. My dad had run over 50K KMS on this scooter. The picture has my sister and me in it
Cheers KPS
These are truly family pictures. Any idea where any of your vehicles have landed up? Do any survive in India? 18-17=1, but nephew looks older than 1!!
Natalie on the number plate must have been something good looking . Very pretty.

Another nice picture, this time a Fiat.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-8-.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 21st August 2010 at 17:58.
Old 21st August 2010, 18:35   #1334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could this car be a Cortina of some vintage ??
Quote:
Another nice picture, this time a Fiat.
Cheers harit
That profile, the peek of the whitewall tyre, that 'unblemished' select side trim.. all make me go weak in the knees. Thanks Harit !
Old 21st August 2010, 20:42   #1335
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These are truly family pictures. Any idea where any of your vehicles have landed up? Do any survive in India? 18-17=1, but nephew looks older than 1!!
Natalie on the number plate must have been something good looking . Very pretty.

Cheers harit
The house under construction in the back ground is the house we are currently staying. We moved into that house in 1994. My nephew was born in 1992 and this snap was definitely take in 1993. So he should have been 1-2 years old. He was a big child. Born in Gibraltar! He was Rock Size

The first Matchless last seen with a Britisher working in HAL who unfortunately died in India. No idea where it went. The second Matchless was bought by a merchant navy person who was based in Whitefield. Have not seen that bike again. The Shooting Star went to Kerala. No idea on the others

Cheers

KPS

Most Viewed