Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 12:18   #1351
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wasif do you know more about this picture? This is very interesting, as I happen to have that trailer. Do you or anyone know more about the trailer?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-b0a2af3c3ef045dc_landing.jpg
Old 24th August 2010, 13:07   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wasif do you know more about this picture? This is very interesting, as I happen to have that trailer. Do you or anyone know more about the trailer?
Hi DKG, apparently your trailer does not have any plague/manufacturers plate. Could you post a few pictures, rear, inside? It appears that the rails on the trailer were meant to tie up some items, either oversized or extra stuff when the box was full.

Here is another Fiat, a Parsee family on a picnic?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-bawa-23.jpg  

Old 24th August 2010, 13:54   #1353
Senior - BHPian

[quote=r_nairtvm;2038113]KPS,

I was talking about Ponmudi Estates only. I was under the impression that it is now under the ownership of same person who owns the Merchiston Estates and the ISRO Contravesy was concerning the land of Ponmudi Estates which is with the owners of Merchiston now. I thought that since the average elevation of Ponmudi Est was heigher than that of Merchiston, may be ISRO was looking for that portion.

I could be wrong as pointed out by Ajay.

The Bonnaccord went to the Jayasree Tea Estates group a while ago. I don't know who is the current owner.

The jeeps I was taling about I saw them last in 1982, again my memmory could be wrong. One of the I think had a 3 digit KLT registration (that I remeber clearly - but not the digits itself) so it would definitely be from the late 40s or early 50s. I am sure that the Ponmudi Teas Estates Co was incorporated in UK in late 1800s and has been in existence since then. So older vehicles are a possibility and may have been transferred to Ponmudi estates (for eg from Bonnaccord) after your dad left the place.

Then again I could be wrong!

Any way its a pity that you let go of the Triumphs and Matchless.

I have a moder triump with me - Bonneville 2009

KPD/ram,
Let me try to clear the confusion.
Bonnacord is/was owned by Mahaveer plantations and is a pucca tea estate which has been closed for about 2 decades now.In 2004 or so one GULF NRI unsuccussefuly tried to takeover the estate.It is still lying uncared for.are there any other vintage vehicles in those old barns??
Old 24th August 2010, 14:01   #1354
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi DKG, apparently your trailer does not have any plague/manufacturers plate
Its a camping trailer Harit. The lid opens and you can drop side and rear curtains to turn it into a tent (2 person). I believe it to be a local job but since Wasif has posted this picture am curious if its the same one as its impossible that two people could have designed the same trailer, so close in detail !!
Old 24th August 2010, 19:43   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Harit.

Sorry I don't havea clearer picture of the Tourer.

The pic with the US Press could be from 1948 when they would have been reporting on the "police action" actually the invasion of independant Hyderabad state by the Indian Armay which culminated in Hyderabad being annexed to India.

The pic is definitely on the Tank Bund and Viceroy hotel was at the Secunderabad end of the bund

DKG.

Could you please post a picture of your trailer for comparison.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:01   #1356
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 412473
Well the Location I think is the PARADE GROUND, the railings there too had similiar designs.Secondly there are some pic of the 7th NIZAM driving into PUBLIC GARDEN MOSQUE in the VANDEN PLAS HUMBER, which i think participated in the Banglore event.(itwas APX REG).Will try n post those pix too
Old 25th August 2010, 09:26   #1357
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Could you please post a picture of your trailer for comparison.
Will do. It would be interesting if we can find out more. I am pretty sure the one I have is the one in the picture. And since I haven't seen similar design on the net I am assuming its a one off designed by someone locally. Its actually very neat though. Ideal twoman tent on the move !!
Old 25th August 2010, 10:19   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
Well the Location I think is the PARADE GROUND, the railings there too had similiar designs.Secondly there are some pic of the 7th NIZAM driving into PUBLIC GARDEN MOSQUE in the VANDEN PLAS HUMBER, which i think participated in the Banglore event.(itwas APX REG).Will try n post those pix too

Mohammed Bhai.

Now that you mentioned it the plave could well be the road opposite Parade Ground in Secunderabad. But what could they be looking at as there is hardly anyting of interest to see on teh other side of that road.

So that APX Humber in Bangalore also belonged to teh Nizam ? How many Humbers did he use ? I know of the Super Snipe Pullman Limo that is now with teh Khairtabad collector.

Please do look into posting some old pictures from your collection.

Last edited by wasif : 25th August 2010 at 10:21.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:40   #1359
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 412473
indian mills and industries needed fire fighters for safety.thus many such trailers hydolic brakes were seen could be such a trailer.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:18   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that you mentioned it the plave could well be the road opposite Parade Ground in Secunderabad. But what could they be looking at as there is hardly anyting of interest to see on teh other side of that road.
Depends on how you define interesting I guess!

Quote:
So that APX Humber in Bangalore also belonged to teh Nizam ? How many Humbers did he use ? I know of the Super Snipe Pullman Limo that is now with teh Khairtabad collector.
I guess he also owned a Humber Hawk, '46 model or so. It was bought a popular newspaper columnist Narendra Luther, who had mentioned it in an article on old Hyderabad that DC (Deccan Chronicle) made on their 50th anniversary somewhere in 1997, if you recall.
Old 1st September 2010, 17:59   #1361
Senior - BHPian

I think the car Mr. Luther was speaking of was this one that is now in Bangalore.

The Nizam also had a very old pre war Humber that he was very fond of using, wonder what happened to it.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:33   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the car Mr. Luther was speaking of was this one that is now in Bangalore.

The Nizam also had a very old pre war Humber that he was very fond of using, wonder what happened to it.
Some months ago I had put up a picture of a large open top Humber in which Nehru was standing and is being driven in Hyderabad. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1471308 , post 752. This was probably after the police action.

Cheers harit
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:46   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a rather neat one I missed out

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-50863831.jpg

May 1946 Indian Industrialist G. D. Birla (L) backer & benefactor to Hindu ldr. Mohandas Gandhi, chatting w. his aide Dinanath Taing (2R) & the driver of his white Packard car.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:21   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures Karl.

Here is another older Filmy picture, the car is a 1957 Plymouth. The first two digits on the number plate are not legible, then we can see ??M 9459. The lettering is very crude.
Now, which film and who are the stars?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-filmi-04-jpg.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks