Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 14:05   #1426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A family picture, my guess that this photo has been taken in Mahableshwar. Maybe Rehan, THE MOD can tell us who these people are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Harit! You've done it again Amazing!

I emailed my grandmother, as the above photo was scanned from one of her photo albums. That's her mother in the photo above:
Quote:
This hobby of old car photos is indeed amazing. I was away for long as you have seen by the absence of posting. During this trip I managed to see a substancial part of two other old picture collections. Now the crazy part, with both I saw pictures of which I have the same, and pictures taken at the same event. I still have to digest what I saw.
I got this picture in a lot, which is basically of parsis, and again in this lot there were pictures of people whose photos I have come across before. So I will mail some of these pictures to you, perhaps you can send to your granny for identification. During my trip I was back in Mumbai for half a day, and that is when I got these pics delivered home. As I was passing via Pune, I carried them with me and it was Karl who linked these pics. Credit goes to him, he is as nutty as me as far as this hobby is concerned. Hopefully your granduncle is still around. Their Pontiac Silver Streak was a lovely car. I strongly feel that the location is in Mahableshwar.

The photos are like dots, waiting to be linked and tell a story.

Cheers harit
I've said it before, and I say it again, TBHP has made our anyways-small vintage and classic world a smaller place - well done Harit.

Harit and me sometimes discuss interesting photos he comes across, and cross checks registrations to see if we can find a match. In the past we located BMY 4178, a 1947 Chrysler, ex Dhanrajgir, now Jasdanwalla. We even recently came across more from a set I was given (by the owner) a few years back.

This time he called me I was actually asleep in the bus travelling home, but when he mentioned BMY 1068 I immedeately recollected as that was a very spectacular photo.

Rehaan - contact the family and extended family, and convince them not to throw out any more photos (assuming they have some left) - or there are many willing beneficiaries here
Old 1st December 2010, 16:15   #1427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
... and somehow Harit being Harit has remembered and made the connection!
Well i stand corrected on this! It was Karl who put the two together. Should have guessed!

Quote:
I strongly feel that the location is in Mahableshwar.
Another email reply i received said :
"....pic. seems to be taken at Raceview Hotel, Mahabaleshwar."

@tuchha - That pic has been posted on the forum before. (The existing black bar at the bottom of the image shows that the image you received was from TBHP itself)

cya
R
Old 4th December 2010, 12:13   #1428
Senior - BHPian

A city picture seems to be from the mid 1960's or so. Bush Baron was available, so was Amul. The busses indicate that this is not Mumbai, and there is a "Allied?" chinese restaurant. The tall building should give a clue, maybe also the mosque in front of it.
Where are we here? Anybody know, please tell us.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-14-.jpg  

Old 4th December 2010, 12:29   #1429
BHPian

The Black and Yellow Amby Cabs Suggest this being Calcutta. Cannot place the Tall Building for sure.
Old 4th December 2010, 13:02   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
A city picture seems to be from the mid 1960's or so. Bush Baron was available, so was Amul. The busses indicate that this is not Mumbai, and there is a "Allied?" chinese restaurant. The tall building should give a clue, maybe also the mosque in front of it.

Cheers harit
This is Mount road (now called Anna Salai) in Chennai and yes the tall building is LIC which was the first high rise building in Chennai and probably in South India. This picture might have been shot from 'Dhun building' on the same road.

Last edited by Jai3033 : 4th December 2010 at 13:05.
Old 4th December 2010, 14:15   #1431
Senior - BHPian

This could be at a Parsis's Bungalow in Matheran or Mahableshwar. The car must be American, who can tell what is BMW 9999. The bumper guard will give a clue. And the lady?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-bawi-01.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2010, 14:42   #1432
Senior - BHPian

This guy looks so much like me in my college days. Today there is not even a resemblance.
Does MHW 2760 still exist? Does not matter, any info will be welcome.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-03.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2010, 15:01   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
This is Mount road (now called Anna Salai) in Chennai and yes the tall building is LIC which was the first high rise building in Chennai and probably in South India. This picture might have been shot from 'Dhun building' on the same road.
Yes Yes this is mount road chennai, recievied these pictures in e-mail once. Another good thing is the branch road on right goes to Pudupet, which was once my favourite place to visit.

Here is one pictur of Ambulance in Madras

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-trucks.jpg

Picable - Photo Page: Photo of Ambulance in Madras (chennai) 1940

Last edited by manishalive : 4th December 2010 at 15:04.
Old 4th December 2010, 15:25   #1434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This guy looks so much like me in my college days. Today there is not even a resemblance.
Does MHW 2760 still exist? Does not matter, any info will be welcome.

Cheers harit
MHW is a Nashik/Deolali registration, my 73 President too is MHW. This is a slightly earlier car.
Old 4th December 2010, 15:49   #1435
BHPian

A city picture seems to be from the mid 1960's or so. Bush Baron was available, so wa

Yes this is Mount Road in Madras, very lovely picture of that times. On right side open space used to one dargah. Famous Buhari hotel on right and opposite side used to be old theatre and other hotels. The tall building in the background was LIC building, it got fire in 1975, whole building was burned for 2 days. A little far on right side was historical Spencer Building.

Very nice picture, thanks for sharing.
Old 5th December 2010, 21:19   #1436
BHPian

An Old Street Photo of Lucknow i got from an Facebook album
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-75604_457811213308_685523308_5572593_1203146_n.jpg  

Old 5th December 2010, 23:01   #1437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A city picture seems to be from the mid 1960's or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
The Black and Yellow Amby Cabs Suggest this being Calcutta. Cannot place the Tall Building for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
This is Mount road (now called Anna Salai) in Chennai
Yup, I did suspect so (before I read jai's post!) that it had to be Madras (as it was then called! ).......the Standard Pennant taxi (seen just in front of the first bus) made me reckon so!
Old 5th December 2010, 23:28   #1438
Team-BHP Support

My parents never had a car, so I don't have photos of cars from my childhood.

But I have couple shots of Amby Taxis from the 70s, hope it will be acceptable in this thread.

This was taken in 1973, that is my brother and me on the car.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0257.jpg

This was in 1975, during my occasion of my uncle's wedding. Two taxis parked along with their drivers at our house in Udupi. My dad and his sister in the background.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0263.jpg

Notice the narrow pants. This was just before bell bottoms took off.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th December 2010 at 23:34.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2010, 01:30   #1439
BHPian

Our Desoto 55

This is Our 1955 Desoto, This was actually a group photo taken in front of our car. All these people almost covered the entire car, so as a revenge I cut them out of the photo!

regards
-invinci

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-desoto-only.jpg
Old 6th December 2010, 01:47   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My parents never had a car, so I don't have photos of cars from my childhood.

But I have couple shots of Amby Taxis from the 70s, hope it will be acceptable in this thread.

This was taken in 1973, that is my brother and me on the car.

This was in 1975, during my occasion of my uncle's wedding. Two taxis parked along with their drivers at our house in Udupi. My dad and his sister in the background.

Notice the narrow pants. This was just before bell bottoms took off.
Very nice pictures Samurai, I recognize the distinct South Canara architecture in the background.

What language do you speak, by the way?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks