Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 18:57   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Anonymous Parsi Gent:
Came across a whole lot of photos where this particular gent is pictures. These photos came in 3 lots, there are many more.
Presumably they start from around 1928, and go on beyond 1950. This gent seems to have been both a car and bike lover, and he proundly posed with them throughout his life. Many pictures were taken outside the Gateway of India, one can see the Taj, old Hotel Greens )pulled down to make way for the Taj Tower and road alignment), and the Yacht Club.
The first car in the series is not positively identified, he had both pre-war and posr-war Morris's, 1939 Buick, among bikes a BMW, Jawa and an unidentified early bike are seen. I have tried to post the pics in a sequence as he aged. He is always with some vehicle, wife (presumably) is seen only in the second pic.
Calling on all Parsis to show these pics to elders to try and identify him.
Also, please try to identify the cars.
What is the bike where he is sitting on a bench in the background?
The BMW registered car is NOT a Ford Model T.
Have a look at the second pic. This car is registered MDU in Tamil Nadu, is a special creation, and MAK 3 is written on the bonnet. Does anyone have a clue as to what this special is? Any Chennai?Coimbatore connections?
So many pictures, so many querries. Hope to receive some answers, and comments. Cheers harit
The gent has still not been identified. In this lot there was another picture, which was identified only when posted on prewarcar.com. It is an early 1930's Triumpf Super 8, anyways a seldom seen car. Suppose now none survive in India. Is the background those art deco buildings at Oval Maidan opposite the High Court?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-anon-01.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 6th August 2010 at 19:06.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2010, 19:00   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture picked up in south India, Vauxhall. Sorry, not a family pic, but then this thread was stagnating.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-vauxhall-01.jpg  

Old 6th August 2010, 22:57   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the background those art deco buildings at Oval Maidan opposite the High Court?
Definately not a Maidan looks like a waterfront scene more like around a Talao But Where? Need to show this pic to my dad and get back to you on the location.
Old 7th August 2010, 22:38   #1294
BHPian

Wbd8775

I have finally managed to fire up the old Scanner.

Attatched is a pic of my Grandfathers Morris , this photograph is dated 1965.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0001.jpg  

wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2010, 23:05   #1295
BHPian

Wbd8775 & Wba1771

Enclosed are 3 more pics , one is of WBD8775 another one is of an older WBA 1771 (do not know the make ) and the hird is as yet an unidentified car.

My late Grandpa was a avid photographer and i have now started to scan the entire collection. He has neatly chronicled all of them year wise with notings on the back of nerly every pic .

On the back of the morris pic the date mentioned is 30/03/1964 , trip to digha (a seaside place near calcutta ) with a later scribble saying " the car that was " . My late grandmother can be seen in the drivers seat of the Morris

In the beach pic the date is given as 13/10/1960

The WBA1771 pic is undated.

Salman
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0002.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0003.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0004.jpg  

Old 7th August 2010, 23:36   #1296
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pics, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Enclosed are 3 more pics , one is of WBD8775 another one is of an older WBA 1771 (do not know the make ) and the hird is as yet an unidentified car.
WBA 1771 could be a Humber possibly. And maybe the 3rd car too is a later Humber.
Old 8th August 2010, 11:24   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Enclosed are 3 more pics , one is of WBD8775 another one is of an older WBA 1771 (do not know the make ) and the hird is as yet an unidentified car. On the back of the morris pic the date mentioned is 30/03/1964 , trip to digha (a seaside place near calcutta ) with a later scribble saying " the car that was " . My late grandmother can be seen in the drivers seat of the Morris. In the beach pic the date is given as 13/10/1960. The WBA1771 pic is undated. Salman
Lovely pics, please put up more. I suspect the middle car, the fastback to be a Kaiser/Frazer/Nash/Hudson product. Please see if you can dig up more pics.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2010, 13:24   #1298
BHPian

Nice pictures, look forward to see more pics.

Last car in the picture WBA 1771 seems to be Hillman Minx 1936-37 from Rootes Group.

Cheers!
Old 8th August 2010, 13:28   #1299
BHPian

Some More Pics !

WBD5898 was also owned by the family.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0001.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-wbd5898.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0007.jpg  

Old 8th August 2010, 13:41   #1300
BHPian

Okay, the following pics are not exactly family car photos , but since they are "nostalgic " (IMHO) and "old" i am posting them here. Karlos , Harit Sir if you feel they are out of place in this thread will move them out.

These pics apparently are very old as they show a Lady in White (my Guess Queen Victoria ) waving to the crowd , though i am positive that these were shot in Calcutta.
There is also a pic of a rolls , possibily part of the same convoy which is carrying passengers or something which i cannot make out.

It is amazing that my Grandpa has left behind such a fabulous collection of pics and i am very happy and proud to have inherited his legacy.

Salman
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0008.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0006.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0009.jpg  

Old 8th August 2010, 14:45   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Definately not a Maidan looks like a waterfront scene more like around a Talao But Where? Need to show this pic to my dad and get back to you on the location.
Absolutely right. Looks more like Apollo Bunder the Gateway of India road, which starts from Taj and ends at the Radio Club. Maybe this pic was taken by parking the car on the Radio club pier.
Old 8th August 2010, 17:27   #1302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, the following pics are not exactly family car photos , but since they are "nostalgic " (IMHO) and "old" i am posting them here. Karlos , Harit Sir if you feel they are out of place in this thread will move them out.

These pics apparently are very old as they show a Lady in White (my Guess Queen Victoria ) waving to the crowd , though i am positive that these were shot in Calcutta.
These are exactly the kind of photos we are looking forward to seeing.

Yes, does look like the Queen. She visited Bombay too around the same time. Interesting to see the Dodge Kingsway she is travelling in appears to be a 4 door chop top job. They could've done something better for the Queen methinks

In the original photo with a magnifying glass can you see any more details of the Rolls? What is it dressed up as?
Old 9th August 2010, 22:38   #1303
BHPian

Another pic!

This one is from the old barrackpore racing circuit and has a "formula " car which is most probably built on a Herald/Fiat Chassis.

Registration is Wbp 111 of wbf111

Regards

Salman
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0005.jpg  

Old 9th August 2010, 23:13   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is also a pic of a rolls , possibily part of the same convoy which is carrying passengers or something which i cannot make out. Salman
These are the kind of pictures we like. The heading need serious consideration to be renamed. With genuine family pics we may have reached only page 13 till now. This is Queen Elisabeth, incidently my collection started with some pictures of this Queen during the same trip in Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Absolutely right. Looks more like Apollo Bunder the Gateway of India road, which starts from Taj and ends at the Radio Club. Maybe this pic was taken by parking the car on the Radio club pier.
I do not think Apollo Bunder, some other place. Waiting for Mole's feedback.

Quote:
Another pic! This one is from the old barrackpore racing circuit and has a "formula " car which is most probably built on a Herald/Fiat Chassis. Regards Salman
Any more Barrackpore pics?

Cheers harit
Old 9th August 2010, 23:23   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
These are the kind of pictures we like. The heading need serious consideration to be renamed. With genuine family pics we may have reached only page 13 till now. This is Queen Elisabeth, incidently my collection started with some pictures of this Queen during the same trip in Bombay.

I do not think Apollo Bunder, some other place. Waiting for Mole's feedback.

Any more Barrackpore pics?

Cheers harit
Well i feel that the first pic in which the rolls can be seen is also bombay, i cant seem to place the building in the background.

This is the only barrackpore pic that i have come across till now , still a few hundred photos left for sorting

Regards

Salman

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks