Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 12:38   #2536
BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Hi,

A couple more from the family albums, this is the front shot of the Chevrolet Master sedan (?) with some of my aunts, possibly from the 40's or 50's.

Another pic of the Balilla with a cousin, possibly in the early 80's during its slumber!

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-chevy_front_resized.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0015_resized.jpg  

srinand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 12:53   #2537
BHPian

Harit certainly seems to be missed. Maybe he is travelling?? Hopefully his pictures will soon appear and make us put on our thinking cap. OR , just maybe, his Dodge has received the Cartier invite? And he is too busy with the restoration to bother about this forum? Karachi to Khyber?? Sounds much more interesting a route than Bombay to Rajkot. Anyway, now that the Rajkot Rolls has been formally unveiled, will the much postponed Rajkot rally ever happen? Two weeks to go for Mahableshwar. Harit has said he would join, hopefully he will. Lots of fun, we are all looking forward , and hats off to Anirudh, Amol, and all the others who took the initiative to begin these drives.
Old 24th November 2012, 19:03   #2538
BHPian

Hi,

Some more pics of an earlier posted car from my friends family album. I dont know if the earlier pics showed the number plate, but does this car still exist? Any info about that would thrill my friend.

Sorry about image quality, time has left its mark on them.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0036_resized.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0037_resized.jpg  

srinand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 21:17   #2539
BHPian

The couple standing with the standard Herald in front of the Whitefield Club are Mr.Leslie Rooke and his wife Mrs.Daisy Rooke.
Who the 3rd person in the second pic is I dont know.This car was still with Mr Rooke in 1990/92
Collector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 21:56   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
The couple standing with the standard Herald in front of the Whitefield Club are Mr.Leslie Rooke and his wife Mrs.Daisy Rooke.
Who the 3rd person in the second pic is I dont know.This car was still with Mr Rooke in 1990/92

Hi Collector,

The couple's names were as you rightly said Mr.Leslie Rourke and Mrs.Daisy Rourke as confirmed by my friend. The couple were the previous owners of the current home that my friends family own. In fact they lived out their lives in the same home. My friends family did buy the Standard as well along with the home but the car ended up with another member of the family who sold it. Any further info with regards to the car or the owners would surely be appreciated by my friend. If you dont mind, please PM me your contact details so i can pass it on to my friend who would like to contact you.

Thank you,

Srinand.
Old 24th November 2012, 22:52   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi,

Some more pics of an earlier posted car from my friends family album. I dont know if the earlier pics showed the number plate, but does this car still exist? Any info about that would thrill my friend.

Sorry about image quality, time has left its mark on them.
Nice to see more pics. Of this couple and their pennant! I remember it mentioned that the they had got married in their 50s or so! The first pic. may have been taken during their wedding, going by their attire.

Quote:
The car is a Standard Pennant, not a Herald! Good to know he had it that long though. Hope it still exists. Any luck searching thru the bangalore Rto, srinand?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 09:29   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice to see more pics. Of this couple and their pennant! I remember it mentioned that the they had got married in their 50s or so! The first pic. may have been taken during their wedding, going by their attire.

If I remember correctly Mr. Rourke married Mrs.Daisy White in 1976 or 79.Yes both were in their 50's. Mr.Rourke was the first owner of the car and had had it from his days of working in KGF.

The car is a Standard Pennant, not a Herald! Good to know he had it that long though. Hope it still exists. Any luck searching thru the bangalore Rto, srinand?[/quote]
Sorry that was a typo somehow when I write Standard, Herald comes automaticly behind. I do remember traveling from Whitefield to Bangalore with Mr.Rourke a number of times. We used to have a system of car sharing in those days [1968 to 1980] when the number of people owning cars in Whitefield was few.

Last edited by Collector : 25th November 2012 at 09:31.
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 09:57   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

The car is a Standard Pennant, not a Herald! Good to know he had it that long though. Hope it still exists. Any luck searching thru the bangalore Rto, srinand?
Quote:
If I remember correctly Mr. Rourke married Mrs.Daisy White in 1976 or 79.Yes both were in their 50's. Mr.Rourke was the first owner of the car and had had it from his days of working in KGF.

Quote:
Sorry that was a typo somehow when I write Standard, Herald comes automaticly behind. I do remember traveling from Whitefield to Bangalore with Mr.Rourke a number of times. We used to have a system of car sharing in those days [1968 to 1980] when the number of people owning cars in Whitefield was few.

Hi Stanher,

Yes, the first picture is from their wedding day again. I believe he had the car till his last day and was very fond of it too. I was given these pictures a couple of days ago, not tried the RTO, just tbhp so far.

Collector, thank you so much for the contact details, will pass it on to my friend or his mother who would be keen to know more moments from the past.

regards,

Srinand.
Old 10th December 2012, 14:19   #2544
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

KVCCC has lost our past president Mr. Balram Kandige after a long illness. Mr. Kandige was one of the founder members of KVCCC and a great friend of my father, from their college days. Mr. Kandige had a farm next to our farm. Among the many cars he owned is the Lancia (still in Bangalore undergoing restoration) and Desoto convertible currently in Jaipur.

Here is a picture of Mr. Balram Kandige in the fore front and my father is on the left, behind him. Both were judges at an event in Taj West End. Also see in the picture are Mr. Sulaiman Jamal (Current President), giving the prizes and P S Premnath (current Vice President), making the announcements.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-balram.jpg

Here is the picture of the Lancia after she was pulled out of the farm and sold to Mr. Ravi Kumar, (now late) and then this car passed on to his business partner, who still owns the car and is in long term restoration. This car was originally a gift to General Thimmayya by this father-in-law.

I remember playing with this car on many many occasion in the farm. Like any other kid, we never knew the value of this beauty.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lancia.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 15:57   #2545
BHPian

KPS, sad to read about mr Kandige passing on. I am sure I speak for all vintage car enthusiasts when I say that his guidance will be missed. Please offer our condolences to the family and of course the club, which has lost a stalwart.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 16:17   #2546
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across these lovely images of a British higher-up, one Sir Leslie Orme Wilson, shot in 1924 in Karachi

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-03.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abaraph...n/photostream/
karlosdeville is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 17:19   #2547
Senior - BHPian

We have now come to the end of 2012 and I thought that it would be a good idea to post some pictures here, duly neoned. These pictures were quite liked in general, but somehow I got busy with lots of trips, and then politics came into the scene and focus was diverted. In the meanwhile a whole lot of pictures did come in, here sharing a few.
Wishing all a very Happy New Year in advance, don't party too hard

One Parsi family sedan appears to have white painted bumpers, and nice badges including ADAC. The other, a Dodge sedan, one of the last Canadian built cars sold in India.
The wedding cars are nice pictures, the smaller car has whitewalls, stepney on the mudguard, and a peculiar sloping back.
The Morris has original headlights.
The Hindustan bus was used by N. Bhaskar Rao for a Prajaswamya Ratham, as per description on the back.
Elphinstone was my college, and I have lots of fond memories of those times.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi2.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-wedding.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-wedding1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-morris1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scene.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-elphi.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bhaskar-rao.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 31st December 2012 at 17:23.
harit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 21:09   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Wishing all a very Happy New Year in advance, don't party too hard

Cheers harit
Hello Fellow TBHPians,

I sincerely echo Harit's sentiments but would like to modify this to - Party Hard but Responsibly and do stay safe.

For those who would like to be spirited hope you have designated drivers lined up

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 12:45   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vintage Related Memorabilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Tomorrow we have the Marathon, a zillion folks running on the roads blocked for the event.

In 1964 there was the 28th International Eucharistic Congress in Bombay. This was a huge affair 9 days long, roads were blocked, others were made one-way, parking areas were created on maidans. For this event the Bombay Police even brought out a brochure on traffic regulation with a traffic policeman on the cover. This is a lovely photo, many of us have seen them in this uniform, but now there are hardly any pictures. Those shorts were not great. The harness being worn was actually able to hold an umbrella anchored at two points so that the cop could stand in the sun under an umbrella, and yet keep his hands free.
For tomorrow there is no brochure

Cheers harit
In a similar vein to Harit's post:

Pope Paul VI in Bombay, 1964
courtesy: LIFE

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-pope-paul-vi-jeep-bombay-1964.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-pope-paul-vi-bombay-1964-colour.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and a vintage photo...... look Ma, no hands needed!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bombay-vintage-traffic-policeman.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 20th January 2013 at 12:56.
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 23:32   #2550
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vintage Related Memorabilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
In a similar vein to Harit's post:

Pope Paul VI in Bombay, 1964
courtesy: LIFE
Thanks for sharing - I thought we'd see him riding in the Lincoln Continental though - supposed to have been imported for the occassion.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lincoln01.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks