Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:41   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I dont know if its the right thread. It's a picture of a picture, wish i had an slr or a tripod.
What a delightful picture. Superb.

On discussing with seniors and looking more carfeully -
Ooty being a hillstation, notice the number of woody/wagon conversions on large cars, with huge sloping rooflines. Very unique.

Now who is going to Ooty next to see the picture upclose for us?
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:41   #542
Senior - BHPian

attached is a picture of a Fiat, a gift to Karl. See the mudguard mounted rear view mirror, an accessory of those times?
Car appears to have been quite new.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-fiat-dukker.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 23rd July 2009 at 18:48.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:00   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I dont know if its the right thread. It's a picture of a picture, wish i had an slr or a tripod.
What a wonderful picture. Never seen another with display of such evocative horsepower at the races. Thanks, gendarmee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
attached is a picture of a Fiat, a gift to Karl. See the mudguard mounted rear view mirror, an accessory of those times? Car appears to hase been quite new.Cheers harit
Harit, despite the hazy BMY/BMZ plate (?) is this picture set in India? And, the Millecento itself seems like a great accessory for a man to have.
Cheers, Prabal
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:08   #544
Senior - BHPian

Now a gift to friends on Pakwheels. This is a Graham. And till date I do not know any example of this model in India, past or present. Interestingly, this photo came in a lot of photos related to Pakistan. The indications are another photo of a Humber KAM 5559 registered, a Willys showroom in Lahore at "The Mall", a street scene also at "The Mall" and a Singer Roadster also KAM registered. KAM is not Indian, perhaps Cedric or Mr. Mohsin can enlighten us. Or Alvis?
There is a Graham also on the Pakwheels site, by sheer chance there is a posibility that it is the same car, but no way to verify.

Enjoy, harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-graham.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2009, 19:27   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Harit, despite the hazy BMY/BMZ plate (?) is this picture set in India? And, the Millecento itself seems like a great accessory for a man to have.
Cheers, Prabal
Hi Prabal,
The registration number starts with BML, and probably 5713.
See the post with the Graham. As mentioned, there are a number of pictures in this lot, ladies are same, a possibility is that this was a Parsi family, lived in Pakistan and later moved to India. Pure speculation. Perhaps our friends in Pakistan can find out the history of the Graham lying there.

Cheers harit
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:52   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prabal, The registration number starts with BML, and probably 5713. See the post with the Graham. As mentioned, there are a number of pictures in this lot, ladies are same, a possibility is that this was a Parsi family, lived in Pakistan and later moved to India. Pure speculation. Perhaps our friends in Pakistan can find out the history of the Graham lying there. Cheers harit
Hello again,

Along with the lady-factor, the topography seems similar too, at least the ground. So is it possible that the Fiat was in Pakistan? If yes, did such plates exist in Pakistan (Cedric, I'm sure you love this!)? Or was it that she (the car) went there with Indian plates? Or maybe, it's India only; Indian and Pakistani soil are quite alike after all!

So long,

Prabal
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:42   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Along with the lady-factor, the topography seems similar too, at least the ground. So is it possible that the Fiat was in Pakistan? If yes, did such plates exist in Pakistan (Cedric, I'm sure you love this!)? Or was it that she (the car) went there with Indian plates? Or maybe, it's India only; Indian and Pakistani soil are quite alike after all!
I somehow suspect the fiat is in India for sure- the background looks like a beach. Also going by the BML number, it would be Bum baiya by all means.
BTW, forgive my ignorance but is the graham a pre-war car?
IF so, then maybe it was owned by a family in pre-partition India, who later moved to Pak? And maybe they had relatives behind in India, who must've acquired them later? Hence the conection with the other pak-related photos?

Quote:
The indications are another photo of a Humber KAM 5559 registered, a Willys showroom in Lahore at "The Mall", a street scene also at "The Mall" and a Singer Roadster also KAM registered. KAM is not Indian,
KAM sounds more like Karachi to me, so definitely Pak.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:59   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
attached is a picture of a Fiat, a gift to Karl. See the mudguard mounted rear view mirror, an accessory of those times?
Car appears to have been quite new.
Many thanks, lovely picture. Appears to be a Parsi family, so family photo typically includes the car

Besides the (very cool) mirror note the broad whitewalls, fog lights mounted up front and (possibly, not clearly visible) steel wheel trims. They were pretty fond of this car. Wonder if it will turn up some day.

Quote:
Now a gift to friends on Pakwheels. This is a Graham. And till date I do not know any example of this model in India, past or present. Interestingly, this photo came in a lot of photos related to Pakistan.

There is a Graham also on the Pakwheels site, by sheer chance there is a posibility that it is the same car, but no way to verify.
What a radical sight the Sharknose would have been back then - looks positively evil!

Here is a Sharknose in Pakistan. Who knows. Note the progressive state of disintegration. What a crying shame.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-01.jpg
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02.jpg
Name:  03.jpg
Views: 4966
Size:  44.7 KB

Vintage & Classic Car Club of Pakistan - PakWheels

kaput on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 24th July 2009, 12:42   #549
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a Sharknose in Pakistan.
Wow what a car. So Art Deco
Old 24th July 2009, 12:46   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wow what a car. So Art Deco
Indeed this is Art Deco at its peak. I also believe these Graham Paiges were supercharged.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:55   #551
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed this is Art Deco at its peak. I also believe these Graham Paiges were supercharged.
One other car of this calibre is the Cord 812 (?). Loved its bold radical styling. So so stylish
Old 24th July 2009, 12:59   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One other car of this calibre is the Cord 812 (?). Loved its bold radical styling. So so stylish
While they were no doubt very radical and desirable, I never really liked the bold look. One coffin nosed Cord convertible was in Pune, reportedly white. Wonder where it went.

Look at the surroundings in which the Graham was photographed (old picture). Bruised and battered, it must have been quite an adventurous journey for such a sophisticated car.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:15   #553
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bruised and battered, it must have been quite an adventurous journey for such a sophisticated car.
So many old homes too have suffered this fate. Its so sad to see how they silently surrender to the ravages of neglect and time. Just imagine so many rare and priceless cars in India were broken down. Just think of that sight. Can you reconcile to the Bhopal SS or Bentley being converted into "gampas" for construction?
Old 24th July 2009, 13:51   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So many old homes too have suffered this fate. Its so sad to see how they silently surrender to the ravages of neglect and time. Just imagine so many rare and priceless cars in India were broken down. Just think of that sight. Can you reconcile to the Bhopal SS or Bentley being converted into "gampas" for construction?
Well I was referring to the specific physical journey seeing the vast empty desert lands in the back, I wonder where it was shot.

Either ways, we are doing our part here in the forum to keep a few memories for posterity. My hope is always that one day someone will recognise the car as being their own, or belonging to someone they knew. It happened recently with a Herald on another thread, owner and car reunited after 30 odd years by pure coincidence. Hence also the 'Where is it now' thread.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:06   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Some stellar images can be found at this superb site.

Mystery cars - help identify the classic & vintage cars shown in these photos

Though most images are European, I came across a couple that are probably Indian. Maybe there are more too.

This hardtop Model A is probably from India, regn tallies with the earliest Bombay numbers. Desription below.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-fordmodela.jpg

Quote:
Rear view of a car parked up (registered X6409), with the right rear door open. I think this is a Fordor Model A Ford. Am I right on this one? the car's occupants are admiring the view, note that a couple of the gents have pith hats on so this might be in Empire somewhere - South Africa perhaps? Pico confirmed that this is definitely a Ford Model A.
This car was apparently shot in the Nilgiris.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-206.jpg

Quote:
Michael Greenwood sent this photo in, it shows family members parked up in the Nilgiris Hills in India, apparently the car was on long-term hire at the time. Can anyone confirm make and model of car? at first I thought Model T, but now I'm not quite sure....
Dodge or Chevy perhaps?

Most Viewed