Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 23:05   #61
BHPian

My MG TC

Please find herewith attached the photographs of my MG TC. I know the headlamps are wrong to the car and now have been replaced. Shall post some new pictures later.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-dsc01688.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-dsc01685.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-dsc01686.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-dsc01687.jpg  

Old 7th December 2009, 01:17   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi Yash,

The colour combo looks nice.Its just like the khimsar car.The badge i have highlighted below if if i'm not wrong is of Rajeev auto center?Did you get her restored there?Please also post some pre-restoration pics.

Thank you
Old 7th December 2009, 03:59   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The colour combo looks nice.Its just like the khimsar car.The badge i have highlighted below if if i'm not wrong is of Rajeev auto center?Did you get her restored there?Please also post some pre-restoration pics.
Dear Indrojit,

This car was previously owned by Rajiv Ghosh, it was initially restored by him and than it was restored by one of our fellow team bhpites morris 1948. Below are the pictures of the car before restoration.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-02082008033.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-02082008034.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-02082008032.jpg  

Old 7th December 2009, 10:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No wasif they came with cast iron tappet covers and brake drums for sure.I am saying this because the brake drum on Mr.Ajmera's MG were recently replaced by aluminium ones,it originally had cast iron Drums.

Yes the Aero screens are a common one.The brookland steering wheel i found on the latest parts catalog.

Please post a link for where you found details on this "Brooklands Kit".

As Harit has pointed out ther was no such official kit offered by MG.

Going by what you have posted above the Ajmera car would not qualify as a "brooklands Kit" as you have mentioned it originally cam with cast drums that were recently replaced by aluminium ones.

The kind of steering wheel that was featured on all the TC is refered to as a "Brooklands type".
Old 7th December 2009, 15:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash Ruia View Post
Dear Indrojit,

This car was previously owned by Rajiv Ghosh, it was initially restored by him and than it was restored by one of our fellow team bhpites morris 1948. Below are the pictures of the car before restoration.

Regards
Ok.I never knew he had a MG TC in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Please post a link for where you found details on this "Brooklands Kit".

As Harit has pointed out ther was no such official kit offered by MG.

Going by what you have posted above the Ajmera car would not qualify as a "brooklands Kit" as you have mentioned it originally cam with cast drums that were recently replaced by aluminium ones.

The kind of steering wheel that was featured on all the TC is refered to as a "Brooklands type".
Yes i know there was no official kit offered but it was like an accesorie offered to those cars in particular which were offered by the dealer.I agree that i can't be considered as a brooklands kit MG.Infact there we can say that these things were like upgrade accesories so you can't actually call a car Brooklans special if it was the brooklands kit on it but definately these cars cost a little more.

There were different types of steering wheels on different cars.The Brooklands type steering wheel is the one of which i have posted pics of.Now many cars don't have that and have different ones so i guess this was not a standard fitment.One thing to notice is all the recntly restored cars have the brooklands steering wheel on them while some older pics show different steering wheels.See some pics below and see the different steering wheels they contained.I think the change was done to provide a more classy look to the cars.Even Mr.Ruia's car had a different steering wheel whel he bought it and has a different one now.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Classic MG cars in India-02082008032.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-img_4268.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-mg04.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-mg13.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-mg43.jpg  

Pics: Classic MG cars in India-mg-7.jpg  

Old 7th December 2009, 15:45   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I saw a superbly kept red MG T5 in Bangalore on Lavelle Road/ Vittal Mallya Road two Sundays ago when I was in that area.
It was being driven by a stylish looking elderly gentleman.
Unfortunately i was driving and couldnt snap a pic nor even observe the number plate.
Lucky chap whoever owns that car - really well kept.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

So this clears the mystery of the elusive "Brooklands Kits" .....just a load of humbug used to hype up the value of ones car.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this clears the mystery of the elusive "Brooklands Kits" .....just a load of humbug used to hype up the value of ones car.

Well i don't think it would be humbug but yeah its definately to increase the value of ones car.But let me tell you one more thing, the stuff in Brooklands kit is quite good the quality is superb but the pruice of such stuff is high.

EDIT:Mr.Ajmera's car however came with the aluminium tapid covers and the mech in front of the head lamps.So mayb you could just buy them individually also.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 7th December 2009 at 18:35.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well i don't think it would be humbug but yeah its definately to increase the value of ones car.But let me tell you one more thing, the stuff in Brooklands kit is quite good the quality is superb but the pruice of such stuff is high.

EDIT:Mr.Ajmera's car however came with the aluminium tapid covers and the mech in front of the head lamps.So mayb you could just buy them individually also.
Please post a link to this mysterious "Brooklands Kit" that you keep refering to !
Old 7th December 2009, 18:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please post a link to this mysterious "Brooklands Kit" that you keep refering to !
Ok i will try and do that don't have the link saved so i have to look for it again and i will do it when i have some time.Hope that's not a problem.
Old 7th December 2009, 22:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash Ruia View Post
Please find herewith attached the photographs of my MG TC. I know the headlamps are wrong to the car and now have been replaced. Shall post some new pictures later.
Hi Yash, this is a lovely MG, glad to see MG TC's coming back to Mumbai. The finish is excellent, I wonder if any MG ever left the factory in this condition. There are a few minor things which can be commented.

This car should not have white wall tyres
There is an extra meter on the right of the dash, other than that the finish and detailing are superb
The interior is a shade too glizzy. Should have been more sober, a black and not a bright red.

But never mind, one of the nicer MG's in Mumbai. Can we see engine pictures?

Cheers harit
Old 7th December 2009, 23:24   #72

Quote:
Dear Wasif and Indrojit , the steering wheel that is being reffered as a brooklands steering wheel is actually known as the "BLUEMELLS STEERING WHEEL" and there is a small badge on the steering spokes which has a bluemells emblem. This was an accessory stering wheel option.
Three of the cars restored by us sport this steering wheel.
Old 8th December 2009, 00:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris1948 View Post
Dear Wasif and Indrojit , the steering wheel that is being refered as a brooklands steering wheel is actually known as the "BLUEMELLS STEERING WHEEL" and there is a small badge on the steering spokes which has a bluemells emblem. This was an accessory steering wheel option.
Three of the cars restored by us sport this steering wheel.
Actually, what is available with MG parts suppliers is BROOKLANDS BLUEMELS STEERING WHEEL.

In an older parts catalogue I referred to, courtesey Wasif, it is just called
BROOKLANDS STEERING WHEEL.

Now the question, was this an original accessory? Available between 1945 and 1949? Or a later available accessory? And you have to have a separate adaptor, the steering will not fit otherwise.
I believe that it is a late accessory, not available when TC's were new. Maybe some Guru can enlighten us?
And, you have to pay extra for the Bluemels badge

But nowhere is a Brooklands kit mentioned.
Looking for some research, inputs and feedback.

Cheers harit
Old 8th December 2009, 10:29   #74
Senior - BHPian

That extra meter on the right of the dash seems to be a fashionable accessory. There ae a few other cars pictured in this thread that sport the same.

The "Brooklands" MG WBC 5868 has two of them, maybe its part of the Kit.

Thanks Morris for the info on the steering wheel. It is a period accessory that was availabe for fitment on a range of cars including the Jaguar SS100 and others too.

Did you source these from teh UK for teh three MG's you have restored ?
Old 8th December 2009, 22:04   #75

Dear Wasif, yes i picked them up from the Beaulieu Autojumble when i go, one was a restored one and the other two were restored by us at the workshop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks