Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:20   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Karl.

Those pictures of the Rajisthan Government Caddy are not of the same car. The first and second car look very much alike but they have rear doors hinged different from each other. The moulding along the top of the doors is also different

The third fourth and fifth picture are of the same car as in the second picture.

Dominator.

There si another Caddy visible in your picture on the left of the car next to the Deccan Herald car you just posted. Do you have nay pics or info ont his ?
Wasif - It is the same car MSZ 9400, posted by Karl. It is part of the Khodays collection and was acquired in the late 80's from Tamil Nadu.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Question: Were Cadillacs usually imported into India back then, unlike most other American cars? Because I see most of them (nearly all the post-war ones) LHD. Some of the pre-war ones are RHD though. So am a little confused now.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Question: Were Cadillacs usually imported into India back then, unlike most other American cars? Because I see most of them (nearly all the post-war ones) LHD. Some of the pre-war ones are RHD though. So am a little confused now.
The early pre war cars are mostly specail order jobs hense they are RHD later close to the forties and post war they were all pre assembled and imported to India hense they are all LHD.

Interesting thing is GM had a plant in India where they assembled post war Bicks etc which were all RHD but they didn't do any Caddies apparently.
Old 4th January 2010, 23:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The early pre war cars are mostly specail order jobs hense they are RHD later close to the forties and post war they were all pre assembled and imported to India hense they are all LHD.

Interesting thing is GM had a plant in India where they assembled post war Buicks etc which were all RHD but they didn't do any Caddies apparently.
GM also did Chevy Fleetmaster sedans. Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Caddilac's were apparently imported. But even the Buicks were CKD, not knocked down. But we need more info here.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Attached is a 1956 Cadillac Limo. There is another similar one belonging to Dr. Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin, head priest of the Bohras in much much better condition.
This car is being restored.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Cadillacs in India-caddy-56-h-1.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 13:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Has someone seen and photographed the '52 Caddy Convertible standing at Hospet? It comes to Mumbai whenever there is a Marriage in the family and goes back! Have seen it with the family since 1959 when I was 6 years old! Was priviledged to have a drive in her in 1968 when we went for a small holiday to Hospet and then over to bangalore! The last it came to mumbai for a marriage in the family in 2002 at President Hotel, was still in very good condition, just got overheated and stalled in the procession though.
Old 7th January 2010, 13:07   #37
BHPian

You've got some of the years wrong on some of the cars. The 50 is really a 49, and one 48 is a 47. Without reposting the pictures I can't select the cars individually. I will watch this thread in the future and see if I can correct anymore mistakes. This is a great thread and having been in the Cadillac club in the U.S., I'm pretty knowledgeable on the correct parts, equipment and any alterations. Most are surprisingly very close to original.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarConsulting View Post
You've got some of the years wrong on some of the cars. The 50 is really a 49, and one 48 is a 47. Without reposting the pictures I can't select the cars individually. I will watch this thread in the future and see if I can correct anymore mistakes. This is a great thread and having been in the Cadillac club in the U.S., I'm pretty knowledgeable on the correct parts, equipment and any alterations. Most are surprisingly very close to original.
This could be because in India the car is dated from the time it is regestered which might be up to a year after it was manifactured.

You you have a 49 being refered to as a 50 as it probably came to India and got regestered in 1950
Old 7th January 2010, 22:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Another very original Cadillac lies in RajKamal studios in Mumbai belonging to none another than Mr V Shantaram. Unfortunately i do not have any pics.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

I found an old calander of the Cadillac La Salle Club of 2002 featuring my 1952 Cadillac and thought i would share this with you all.
The Car was featured as January 2003 and by default was also in the 2002 Calander, So two years in a row.
Attached Thumbnails
Cadillacs in India-07012010383.jpg  

Old 7th January 2010, 23:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I found an old calander of the Cadillac La Salle Club of 2002 featuring my 1952 Cadillac and thought i would share this with you all.
The Car was featured as January 2003 and by default was also in the 2002 Calander, So two years in a row.
Hi Speedy,

Is this your uncle's or your brother's car? Today is she yellow?

Cheers harit
Old 8th January 2010, 00:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Speedy,

Is this your uncle's or your brother's car? Today is she yellow?

Cheers harit
This is my immidiate family car (Father, brother and mine) and does not belong to one person Harit uncle, None of my cars do. She is primarily driven by me and i have a strong bond with her, hence she is refered to as mine. She is still red and as far as i know your memory does not fail regarding cars . The yellow 1956 cadillac that was at Inorbit for the sportscraft event is my uncles car. You know the owner as well .
Old 13th January 2010, 20:50   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Another very original Cadillac lies in RajKamal studios in Mumbai belonging to none another than Mr V Shantaram. Unfortunately i do not have any pics.
Amol thats interesting. Could you get any pictures of the car? V. Shantaram was quite flamboyant and creative during his hey days.He was active till his last breath. His contribution to Hindi and Marathi cinema are quite unparalleled.
Old 13th January 2010, 21:38   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

A Cadillac El Dorado of 1968 photographed by me:
Cadillacs in India-cadillac-1.jpg

Cadillacs in India-cadillac2.jpg
Old 13th January 2010, 22:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

More of this rare kind of El Dorado in India:
Cadillacs in India-cadillac-1.jpg

Cadillacs in India-cadillac2.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com