Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:06   #16
BHPian

hi guys nice to see an nissan president the ultimate in nissan production my dad used to have one of them it was an 68 model and very rare to find one
Old 4th January 2010, 19:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you Imperial. This was probably the first big V8 from Nissan.

I am told it was a great driver too.
Old 4th January 2010, 23:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
hi guys nice to see an nissan president the ultimate in nissan production my dad used to have one of them it was an 68 model and very rare to find one
Though rare, they are there in India. Khoday has perhaps 2. One was lying for years outside the American consulate in Mumbai. There are atleast 3 more. I believe that these were the highest end Japanese cars for a while.

Cheers harit
Old 10th January 2010, 04:00   #19
BHPian

Please do look and post those pics of Wajid Bhai's compound.

Please find some photos of cars in Wajid bhai's compound taken a decade ago, I have to scan some more pics, will add soon, meantime enjoy these attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-plymouth_byf.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-chevy.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-red.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-jag.jpg  

vintagepoint5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 09:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Please do take the time to scan and put up the rest.

BTW was this after the front part of the property was turned into a function hall ? The cars were scattered all over the compound al the way to the main road, later the front half of the compound was walled in and the cars were shifted.

The twenties Daimler sedan with the collapsed body and the Oakland V8 convertible were right at the end of the property near the road along with some Vauxhalls.

That Jaguar if I am not mistaken belonged to Wajid Bhai himself and not the captain.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:34   #21
BHPian

Sure will scan tonight and will post asap. These photos were taken before the building/function hall was constructed in front side of the compound.

There were more cars pictures like Cadi, Packard, Ford Mercury (black), Buick, Morris, Standard Penant, Black Humber and some other unidentified cars, may be you know it well.

Cheers!
Old 10th January 2010, 11:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Sure will scan tonight and will post asap. These photos were taken before the building/function hall was constructed in front side of the compound.

There were more cars pictures like Cadi, Packard, Ford Mercury (black), Buick, Morris, Standard Penant, Black Humber and some other unidentified cars, may be you know it well.

Cheers!
I used to spend atleast one afternoon every month out there amongst teh cars.

I don't recollect a Packard lying there outside though. The only Caddy was the Mukarram Jah Limo. There were atleast three Mercury sedans, four to five Dodge sedans around two Jaguar sedans apart from a plenthora of assorted cars including the buggies.

Do you have any pics of that Mercedes Tourer with the diesel engine ?
Old 10th January 2010, 12:16   #23
BHPian

Packard was in grey colour (GJE..), Cadi in Black & red on jack, Mercury with Gujrati language plates, one Mercedes also with (G..) Gujrati plate in English, I think this is same car you were referring to. Most of these cars now I think repainted and were with Pestonjee's collection.

I wish to see, if anybody can get photos of collection of S.Alam family cars, only few were seen but not complete. They have Buick, Packard, Plymouth since it is new in the family. Packard once seen in Chowmahalla palace vintage car rally in Aug.2009.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If the Standard you refer to was apple green in colour, that wasn't a Pennant but an older Super 10 (landmaster shape.)
It was seen in one of wasif's photos of wajid bhai's collection too. Incidentally, was told that Abid Ali Khan of the Alladin bungalow at Begumpet also had one, then he had 2 Gazels, both of which, besides a 4-door Minor, are sitting in the compound since 10+ years!
Old 10th January 2010, 15:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Packard was in grey colour (GJE..), Cadi in Black & red on jack, Mercury with Gujrati language plates, one Mercedes also with (G..) Gujrati plate in English, I think this is same car you were referring to. Most of these cars now I think repainted and were with Pestonjee's collection.

I wish to see, if anybody can get photos of collection of S.Alam family cars, only few were seen but not complete. They have Buick, Packard, Plymouth since it is new in the family. Packard once seen in Chowmahalla palace vintage car rally in Aug.2009.
As I have mentioned before, many cars in the captains collection came from Gujrat. He also bought almost all the unrestored cars from the Gajjar collection. That is why many cars are Gujrat registered. In fact one Dodge conertible was supposed to have belonged to Sardar Vallabhai Patel's daughter.

Alam cars can be seen in post no 62 here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...ml#post1242104

Cheers harit
Old 11th January 2010, 01:03   #26
BHPian

There were more cars pictures like Cadi, Packard, Ford Mercury (black), Buick, Morris

Please find attached some interesting pictures of cars dedicated to Mr. Wasif.

Starting with:
1. Cadillac
2. Buick
3. Buicks 2 cars and Vauxhall
4. Mercedes
5. Packard
6. Ford Mercury
7. Other cars
8. Humber Hawk (one of my favourite)

One more Mercedes was in the garage my brother miss it not covered above photos, may be you are referring to that Mercedes Roadstar.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-cadi.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-b1.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-buicknvxl.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-merced1.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-packard.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-mercury1.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-dd2.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-dodge1.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-unid1.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-humberhawk.jpg  

Old 11th January 2010, 01:12   #27
BHPian

If the Standard you refer to was apple green in colour, that wasn't a Pennant but an

This Standard picture is for my friend Stanher, you are right this is old Super 10, in fact it is seen on the side of American car.

Stanher, there is Black Standard 10 recently restored and fitted with all originals can be seen in Zinda Tilismath factory compound, I recently visited the place, beside they have old Willys low bonnet Jeep and Morris minor covered, I missed taking any photos, as I was very busy.

Sorry Mods: for back to back post.
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-stand1.jpg  

Old 11th January 2010, 10:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great pics indeed.

The Mercedes I was refering to is teh same car you posted, GJY 8176. I was very taken with this cars low slung looks and felt bad it was missing its engine. Can anyone identify the cars model and year of manifacture?

The Buick with the portholes also is an amazing looking car, any idea if it has been completed.

The Cadillac Limo with the Gujarati Licence plate has been restored, I have posted pics of it in the Cadillacs in India thread. I mistakenly mentioned it belonged to another collector. It needs to be added to this thread.

The Packard, GJE 5735 was in the first batch of cars purchased and one of the first cars to be completed. It is posted here after restoration in two tone cream. I remember the car being entered in the Krishna Oberoi vintage car ralley in unrestored condition.

Is that Humber originally from Hyderabad. I have pics of a similar Humber Sedan with its roof chopped off being used as a moovie car, will post shortly.

The Captains facination with American cars and Buicks is clearly demonstrated here.

The gray and cream tourer without a top is a Studebaker which is next to a Model A Ford.

Any idea what cra is that visible on the right of the Mercedes.

The other Mercedes in teh garage was a 170 V roadster if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by wasif : 11th January 2010 at 10:04.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This Standard picture is for my friend Stanher, you are right this is old Super 10, in fact it is seen on the side of American car.

Stanher, there is Black Standard 10 recently restored and fitted with all originals can be seen in Zinda Tilismath factory compound, I recently visited the place, beside they have old Willys low bonnet Jeep and Morris minor covered, I missed taking any photos, as I was very busy.
Thank you sir!
Car looks restorable enough. But 'wonder why it was bought by one who collects 'higher-end' classics, especially at that time when these cars had not much value- or maybe it was given away for free!
Old 11th January 2010, 10:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thank you sir!
Car looks restorable enough. But 'wonder why it was bought by one who collects 'higher-end' classics, especially at that time when these cars had not much value- or maybe it was given away for free!
There were a lot of low end cars there too. They just came with the other cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks