Team-BHP - Radios in our Vintage and Classic cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Radios in our Vintage and Classic cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/73236-radios-our-vintage-classic-cars.html)

For every Vintage and Classic car enthusiast, the car Radio is always the icing on the cake. I have always marvelled at how some of them are integrated seamlessly with the dashboard design unlike some of the new age radios in our modern cars.

Hopefully this thread will bring out these beautiful contraptions from our dashboards.

I am attaching pics of my project for this summer a Becker Europa radio for my Ponton with its panel.

my 1980 nissan laurel had a pretty nice radio that worked right till the end. I still have a radio of a dx maruti 800. But the laurel was a good one and the FM worked pretty well/
How's the becker working?

This one is fitted to a 1966 LHD Chevrolet Impala.
Radios in our Vintage and Classic cars-impala-radio.jpg

This is a nice subject. In car entertainment was always an issue. There are pictures of people having gone on a picnic and playing a gramophone set up near or in the car. Today things are different.
It would be easy to google info about car radios. But I have a radio each in my 1936 & 1937 Packards. So who has an earlier radio in his car?
I have seen a 1948 or so Rolls Silver Wraith with 45RPM record changer. Does anyone remember those 45rpm's? Those were the days, but CD's are surely progresslol:.
About 10 years ago I threw out my Becker from a 108 Merc and fitted a radio with cassette player. Luckily that radio was recently found.

Cheers harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 1673090)
It would be easy to google info about car radios. But I have a radio each in my 1936 & 1937 Packards. So who has an earlier radio in his car?

I think it will be more intresting to see what BHpians find in their or their friends cars, rather than googling for radios.:D

I am sure many of your cars have radios. How about posting detail pics with what features are available in that particular model. That way we can compare when each feature came into models in India. Also as you put it, would be intresting to find out who has the oldest radio amongst cars in India? So far your winning with your 1936 Packard. Lets see what the others come up with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 1673090)
This is a nice subject. I have seen a 1948 or so Rolls Silver Wraith with 45RPM record changer. Does anyone remember those 45rpm's? Those were the days, but CD's are surely progresslol:Cheers harit

Ahaa I remember the 45's and 33's infact I'm holding on to a few, among other things like a Dual turntable and a Grundig spool player. Now with worldspace gone kaput I wish I still had an old style SW radio

Quote:

Originally Posted by the mole (Post 1673526)
I think it will be more intresting to see what BHpians find in their or their friends cars, rather than googling for radios.:D

I am sure many of your cars have radios. How about posting detail pics with what features are available in that particular model. That way we can compare when each feature came into models in India. Also as you put it, would be intresting to find out who has the oldest radio amongst cars in India? So far your winning with your 1936 Packard. Lets see what the others come up with.

Amol the Impala radio picture was clicked by me a few days back from my friend's car.Never knew you were starting a thread.I will post better pictures of that 1966 OE radio.

Two more pictures of the radio on the 1966 Impala dashboard!
Radios in our Vintage and Classic cars-dsc04767.jpg

Radios in our Vintage and Classic cars-dsc04768.jpg

Hey guy's did Fiat 1100 had any tape in side the car?

I have never seen any car with Tape - I mean original!!!

Here's a radio fitted to an Austin Cambridge A 55mk2 dashboard, which I have put on top of a cabinet at home as a show-piece! :)
I can't figure out the make, nothing mentioned on it......and personally I don't find it too attractive either.

Radios in our Vintage and Classic cars-img_4492.jpg