Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 10:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys.

Great pics and you guys must definitely have had a great time.

What is that large red tourer with the black moulding around the top of teh body to be seen in front of the Jeep.

That Packard is indeed a vey imposing car. It is a 1928 Packard Six if I am not mistaken. Please do try to post some history on it, has it been restored ?

The immcaulately restored 30's Chevy Tourer is indeed a treat to the eyes, one point though is the mascot on the radiator cap, looks like it is from a Ford !

The green Stower is an interesting car. Are the rims original to it or are they Ford Model A rims ?

That poor AC looks like it just ran away from a circus !

Please do try to post a list of participants and pic of all the cars present.

BTW the T-BHP team looks pretty nice as does the Citroen.....130 KMPH ??
Old 10th January 2010, 11:45   #17
BHPian

Just missed this gala event by couple of days. Feeling very upset. Thanks to all for posting those beautiful images.

The Citroen is restored by Mr. Bampu Sarkar, father of Indrajit and I have seen this car while visiting his workshop last month. Magnificient job.

Expecting some more images from the event.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

@John - Thank you John. Looking forward to meeting you in the Tolly Show, and many times thereafter.

Quoting text between your pics is very simple really. After loading all your pics, just click on the stapler logo at the top of the dialog box and select "insert all". Once the pics are inserted, you can easily place them in spots between text.

@Sutripta - Care to explain dada, why someone would have a fit?

@Wasif - Lots of questions sir.

I dunno what the red tourer is. Perhaps John would remember?
  • There's no history of the Packard, not even with the owner. All we know is that it was sold new in UK (hence the RH drive) and one of its subsequent owners was the Maharaja of Nagaland. The owner also retains its original UK numberplate.
  • Well dunno much about period hood ornaments. But a little google search for "1930 Chevrolet Hood Ornament" throws up a very similar looking piece. Who knows?
  • A list of all participants and cars is coming right up.
  • Lastly, Indrojit claims he took the Citroen to 130 kmph and the car was perfectly stable at that speed.

None of the Mittal cars turned up. This is kinda surprising, after all the hullabaloo I witnessed at Mukherjee Udyog - preparation and all.

John's Fiat

John's little beauty didnt take part. But after the show, all 6 of us piled up inside and went for a joyride. I drove!

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-dsc03326.jpg

Having owned a 72 Amby and a 90 Premier Padmini in the family, I didn't find it difficult at all to drive this little beauty. Only wish was for a longer drive, which I'm sure John will fulfill soon enough.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 10th January 2010 at 12:49. Reason: Added info
Old 10th January 2010, 12:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

The badge ont he Packard front is also very intriguing as it mentions Packard and then London, never seen one like this so far.

I am sure the Citroen was as stable as can be at 130KMPH in the very capable hands of Indrojit.

What about the Kanoria cars, did any participate ?

Also there is something very funny about that cream Riley, particularly the manner in which Ithe headlamps are mounted and the windscreen !

Last edited by wasif : 10th January 2010 at 13:00.
Old 10th January 2010, 14:11   #20
BHPian

Here are some shots of the Armys Austin that has for so many years graced the Rally in pathetic shape and finally they had Sanjay restore it. These photos were taken last year at the Tolly Car show and I m looking for some detailed photos that i took last March as it rested at Sanjays before restoration.

I had stopped by Sanjays a couple of weeks ago, without my camera, and saw it unpainted or any interior work done and figured it would not be ready. I was wrong and was so surprised to see it there. He can do some very quick turn around work when pressed. The engine sounded very rough and probably needs a lot of attention but looked great.
Attached Thumbnails
The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4240.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4241.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4242.jpg  

Old 10th January 2010, 14:44   #21
BHPian

The Kanorias had three new cars at the Rally and their vintage Renault. The stately Chevrolet, the elegant 48 Buick and Hot MGA.

The Buick had a refined understated elegance and the engine was so very quiet you had to listen to hear it. Back home it would have been a 98+ pt. car at a Buick Concours.
Attached Thumbnails
The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5735.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5734.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5728.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5730.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5731.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5732.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 10th January 2010 at 14:45. Reason: correction
Old 10th January 2010, 15:27   #22
BHPian

The Big 6 Chevrolet was indeed awesome! They had transformed it to a "Deluxe Model" creating the twin front wheel mounts with a great attention to detail and did a remarkable job copying whatever parts or accessories that were appropriate of this make and era. Receiving the rebuilt engine late Thursday they had to work through two nights to refit the engine and finish off preparing the car. On Friday night on their first test run they found one of the bearings in the drive train had to be pulled and rebuilt as it was howling a bit. They even made sure that all the slots in the screws for the upholstery and wood were going in the same direction! Now that's attention to Detail!

I've added a few shots I took last year at their works and Sashi has been working on this car for almost 18 months. A remarkable Car and a remarkable dedicated "hands on" Restorer.

Some day it would be nice if some of our Members could do a "written photo essay" of the final few days that these restorers do their final preparations and the tremendous effort and hard work that goes unrecognized as we at the Rally just appreciate the Finished Cars. Those works that come to mind are, Partho Bose, Sanjay Ghosh, P.K. Chowdhury, Gautam Mukherjee and Bumpu SirCar.
Attached Thumbnails
The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5717.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5713.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5714.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5722.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5723.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5724.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5725.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5726.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4762.jpg  

Old 10th January 2010, 15:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
@Sutripta - Care to explain dada, why someone would have a fit?
To explain that would mean getting into details which are best kept private. Ask Sparky, he can give you some details if he so chooses.

In retrospect, shouldn't have posted that.

Sutripta
Old 10th January 2010, 16:53   #24
BHPian

This remarkable big Citron that had such a distinctive presence and attitude. The sound of it running was deep and powerful and I put my camera on movie mod to record when it was fired up and just love to hear it again and again at home.

I'm posting the few shots i took last April when i first visited Bumpus works about 16 km from South Calcutta, hard to find and well worth the drive. Again the attention to detail is impressive. Bumpu has had a very low profile over the past few years as he had not entered any of his own cars and it has been a revelation as to the many great cars that he has restored. He runs a great works and is very much "Hands on" in a most competent manner.

The other revelation is his son Indrojit who we met for the first time, a great young man not yet 17 YEARS OLD!

And of course the old rear engined Merc, one of my all time favourite cars ever! It was the first time I saw it in the flesh and was so impressed with the colour choice of cream and very dark green, very very German. I didn't get to hear it run or see the engine.

I lost focus with all the great BHP members around and didn't take nearly as many photos as I had planned, but at the end of the Day it was one of the most enjoyable days yet and there is always tomorrow or in this case the 17th at the Tolly Car Show.
Attached Thumbnails
The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5784.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5788.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5787.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5790.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5794.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5791.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5797.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5798.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4888.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4887.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5799.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5796.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5802.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5804.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5803.jpg  

Old 10th January 2010, 16:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to disagree with you John but that Chevrolet has been extensively modded and they have definitely lost the plot.

Restoration as the meaning of the word goes means bringing the car back to the shape it was when manifactured. now when you take liberties like turning it into a Deluxe when it was not actually a Deluxe detracts for teh restoration.

Moreover other things like those huge side mounted lights, the rear reverse light and the red striping on the crome have turned the car into a very loud and garish vehicle.Those Chevrolet 6 badges are also non original.

I have some doubts whether the front windscreen frame is original. It looks too bulky to be so and there apears to be a big gap below where a rubber beading should be fitted.

The rear screen is an add on for sure. The wiring as I had pointed out earlier is again not close to what should be.

This will not qualify as a restoration but a "resto mod".
Old 10th January 2010, 17:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Sorry to disagree with you John but that Chevrolet has been extensively modded and they have definitely lost the plot.

Restoration as the meaning of the word goes means bringing the car back to the shape it was when manifactured. now when you take liberties like turning it into a Deluxe when it was not actually a Deluxe detracts for teh restoration.

Moreover other things like those huge side mounted lights, the rear reverse light and the red striping on the crome have turned the car into a very loud and garish vehicle.Those Chevrolet 6 badges are also non original.

I have some doubts whether the front windscreen frame is original. It looks too bulky to be so and there apears to be a big gap below where a rubber beading should be fitted.

The rear screen is an add on for sure. The wiring as I had pointed out earlier is again not close to what should be.

This will not qualify as a restoration but a "resto mod".
I agree with Wasif. This is a nice car, looks very nice from the decoration point of view, but originality has been lost. As mentioned some months ago, this car has been built by a craftsman, finish is excellent, but not authentic. Wasif has pointed out the bugs. The white MG has a similar situation. The question is, where does one draw the line with period accessories:- none, a few, slightly over the top or at full blast. Just have a look at the autoexpo thread, there is a blue Chrysler with numerous accessories, just within limits except maybe lights. In my starting days we used to see plenty of MG's which were being used, none looked like this.
Hope no offence is taken this time, but nice cars are being overdressed.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 10th January 2010 at 17:36.
Old 10th January 2010, 17:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I agree with Wasif. This is a nice car, looks very nice from the decoration point of view, but originality has been lost. As mentioned some months ago, this car has been built by a craftsman, finish is excellent, but not authentic. Wasif has pointed out the bugs. The white MG has a similar situation. The question is, where does one draw the line with period accessories:- none, a few, slightly over the top or at full blast. Just have a look at the autoexpo thread, there is a blue Chrysler with numerous accessories, just within limits except maybe lights. In my starting days we used to see plenty of MG's which were being used, none looked like this.
Hope no offence is taken this time, but nice cars are being overdressed.

Cheers harit
This "overdressing" seems to be a norm with restorers in that part of teh world. Check out the badges on the Citroen and look at that poor AC !
Old 10th January 2010, 18:01   #28
BHPian

Here's some of Sanjays stable of impeccably restored cars. One of the oldest participants and a constant Trophy Winner and one of the major Restoration Works in Calcutta.

His 1932 Ford V8 that belonged to his Grandfather is an Icon of American cars and the V8 engine that set a bench mark and standard for the world.

A Ford that I would have love to see in the flesh and would have absolutely Blown everyone away and #1 on my list of all time cars built, was designed by Edsel Ford for his personal use is the 1934 Ford Model 40 Special Speedster. I am taking a liberty by posting it, please forgive my enthusiasm.

The big 1950 Caddy V8 is another icon of American motor history and if you had seen photos of it when Sanjay first purchased it for the engine from a scraper, you would then begin to appreciate the talent and dedication that went into restoring it .

The 1947 Buick Super 8, another great car that found it's way here to India.
I always thought that the two-tone paint finish was a creative embellishment
found only in India and was "enlighten" by Karl when he sent me an American advertisement showing it. Thank you again Karl.

I've posted some shots from a lower angle that changes the feel of the car.

I missed photographing their 1947 Chevrolet Fleet Master one of the finest in India. BHP guys, any photos?

Again i got "distracted" by the BHP guys and missed so many shots.
Attached Thumbnails
The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5759.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5760.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5755.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5756.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5757.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5765.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5764.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5763.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_5766.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4816.jpg  

The Statesman Concourse - Jan. 9th 2010 - Kolkata-img_4817.jpg  

Old 10th January 2010, 18:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
This "overdressing" seems to be a norm with restorers in that part of teh world. Check out the badges on the Citroen and look at that poor AC !
Boss, we need to keep in mind that sometimes the restorer have to listen to the actual owner of the car. So, it may also happen that even if the restorer doen't like these modifications personally, they beign professionals, restore the car according to the taste and choice of their respective clients.

So, I personally is not agreeing with your words that "This "overdressing" seems to be a norm with restorers in that part of teh world.."

But definately, restoring something to it's original shape and condition rather then modifying it make more sense to me.
Old 10th January 2010, 19:19   #30
BHPian

hi guys agree to miland restoring a car and an periodic furniture is very similar so dont overdress the car try to match any fabric or leather or carpet to the near original but when i look at things at team B H P very few guys appericate originalitybut when i perosenally see cars i like to buy any car which is got maximum org and i would also say it depends person to person and would say i have an passion for org cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks