Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 20:47   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The cars are indeed a treat for the eyes.

I am sure by first owner they mean the jeep has been with them fromt he time it was sold on by teh armed forces.

The Jeeps were only sold to the US armed forces who in turn lent them out to the allies.

I don't think the 1943 date is correct though as the Jeeps would have been demobilised only after 1944 /45.

Yes indeed, these cars are a treat to any car enthusiasts eyes.

I love the way Vintageman has kept his cars, upto the point.

Wasif, that jeep is indeed a 1943, Willys MB, very similar to one i restored sometime back.
Attached Thumbnails
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-dsc07577.jpg  

Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-dsc07470.jpg  

Old 25th January 2010, 21:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perak View Post
A trivia regarding this 1950 single owner single colour Rover.
Heard Vintageman at the rally yesterday, reminiscing about having sumptuous Biryani in the backseat of this car in the early 70's with the owner, who's a childhood friend.

Regarding your other query, please see my previous post.

Regards
Perak
Nice pics Perak ! especially the Rolls. Being a great WW2 Jeep buff, I wish the owners of these Jeeps had taken care of the originality, without putting bits and pieces of other models of Jeep.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Good show, and welcome aboard. Its refreshing to see some new cars for a change - Lucknow/Kanpur events are seldom represented here.

Nice to see another Minx cabrio - I assume it is genuine and not cut? A very pretty car.

Any more pics of the Model A Pickup showing the body style?

No. 30 is obviously not a 1946 Minor, being a 50s highlight saloon.

Regarding Tariq Ibrahim's Jeep - just a thought - how can an army vehicle be single owned? They were not sold new to civilians right?
Karl,
All the information provided with the rally pictures, has been taken from the display placards, list of participants and the club's souvenir/annual magazine provided by the organisers, where the info, I guess, must have been provided by the respective owners. I have produced this info verbatim. My comments/musings are given in brackets, in the picture captions.
Regarding your and other forum member's queries, I have requested the organisers to ask the respective owners to join the forum and/or clarify these. Hope they comply.
In reference to the 1943 GPW, the owner has mentioned on Pg 26 of the annual magazine that the Jeep was purchased by his grandfather in 1943 from the Ford Motor Company, Cawnpore (the British nomenclature for Kanpur)
BTW, this 1943 GPW along with the 1928 Ford A Pickup, 1930 Austin Chummy and the 1913 Rolls Silver Ghost belong to the same family.
The Hillman Minx in the pics is a genuine convertible and not a chop top.
And Karl, thanks for the Perak Manual. It would be a great help during the restoration of my bike.
I don't have side pics of the Kanpur Ford A Pickup, so I am enclosing couple of pics of Vintageman's Ford A Pickup, presently under restoration.
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-copy-dscf1272.jpg
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-copy-dscf2866.jpg

Regards and
Perak
Old 25th January 2010, 22:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Good show, and welcome aboard. Its refreshing to see some new cars for a change - Lucknow/Kanpur events are seldom represented here.

Nice to see another Minx cabrio - I assume it is genuine and not cut? A very pretty car.

Regarding Tariq Ibrahim's Jeep - just a thought - how can an army vehicle be single owned? They were not sold new to civilians right?
[quote=wasif;1698867]OH take your time but do post on this. It is a great car.

love your pics[/Q

Wasif Bhai,
I found a easier way than typing. I am enclosing scanned pages of the write-up on the 1913 Rolls Silver Ghost by the owner Ms. Wasia Ibrahim, reproduced from the Annual Magazine of the Cawnpore Vintage Club. Hope it's readable. If not I will OCR the scans and repost in the text format.
Several pics of the interior of this Rolls are available in the post on Concours d'Elegance thread by DKG.
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-copy-scan0001.jpg
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-copy-scan0002.jpg
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-copy-scan0003.jpg

Regards
Perak
Old 25th January 2010, 23:15   #20
BHPian

Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010

Quote:

Karl,
In continuation of my previous post, I am uploading scans of the write-ups by the respective owners of the 1943 GPW and 1928 Ford A Pickup reproduced from the Annual Magazine of the Cawnpore Vintage Club.
And please let the observations/comments continue.
Regards
Perak

Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-scan0004.jpg
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-scan0005.jpg
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-scan0006.jpg
Old 26th January 2010, 00:09   #21
BHPian

To all eagle eyes

Of all the cars in the pictures, only five sport a pollution certificate on their windscreens. These are Hillman Minx, Fleetmaster, Plymouth, Jaguar and the Somerset. Is it because these are out-station cars or only five cars amongst the lot, are roadworthy ??
Old 26th January 2010, 00:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perak View Post
2nd round of 2010 Kanpur Rally pictures

Rizwan Ahmad's 1948 Willys CJ2A (looks more like CJ3A/M38 to me) Came from Allahabad.
Attachment 273029

Perak
This is my Jeep Willys CJ3A in the pic which won 2nd prize in the best maintained jeep in the in kanpur vintage car rally. It is a CJ3A which by mistake they wrote CJ2A. I came from allahabad to kanpur driving this jeep without any problem.

See the pic of my dad recieving the trophy.
Attached Thumbnails
Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-24012010002.jpg  

Kanpur Vintage Rally 2010-rizwan20ahmads20194820willys20cj2a.jpg  

Old 26th January 2010, 19:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungeek View Post
This is my Jeep Willys CJ3A in the pic which won 2nd prize in the best maintained jeep in the in kanpur vintage car rally. It is a CJ3A which by mistake they wrote CJ2A. I came from allahabad to kanpur driving this jeep without any problem.

See the pic of my dad recieving the trophy.
Dear Danish,

I have heard so much about your jeep from UBS and other, would love to see some more detailed pictures.

If I remember correctly, the jeep was in 6 volts till very recently correct?

rgds
saif
Old 26th January 2010, 21:08   #24
BHPian

Dear Attari

The jeep is still in original 6 volts, i have once changed it to 12 volts but i restored it back to 6 volts. It also has the original GE seal beams but i don't have the original head light collar and i have requested UBS sir to arrange a pair for me if possible. I will post the detail pics of my jeep soon.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
Dear Danish,

I have heard so much about your jeep from UBS and other, would love to see some more detailed pictures.

If I remember correctly, the jeep was in 6 volts till very recently correct?

rgds
saif
Gungeek,
Do replace the alternator with an original dynamo and cutout, alongwith the upholstery, at least for the rallies. Then I think your Cj3A will be a sight to behold.
Perak
Old 28th January 2010, 17:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great show, and quite an effort driving all these cars from Allahabad in this weather! -
Faisla Ibrahim, did your grandfather go hunting with HH Maharaja Vizzy of Benares ?
Old 28th January 2010, 23:47   #27
BHPian

Hello Desert Fox ,

Are you sure Vizzy from Benares or Vizzy from Vijayanagran ?

Regards
Old 29th January 2010, 18:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures of an event that should have been good fun. We rarely see pictures of events held in those places. There were very nice Rolls's, even more in number than the last event in Mumbai had!
Vintageman took a whole contingent to Kanpur, I believe that there was fuel money given to each car. So this is another event where the organisers gave a bit extra to the participants.
The convertible Hillman is also noteworthy, being a convertible. Now we know of 4 such convertibles, three between Pune and Mumbai.
I also liked the Ford A pick-up, there are very few left in India. I have some older pictures.
Old 29th January 2010, 19:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard Perak and welcome aboard again Chauhan.

You have taken quite a long vacation from the forum i see. Well glad to have you back,please dont disappear for elongated periods, (though i know your field of work does require that). Your valuable posts are missed. Kindly also give us a preview of the cars you own. Im sure a lot of members would love to see your collection.

I see the owner's name on your cars as as Ashutosh Chauhan, so i guess your first name is Ashutosh, unless it belongs to someone from your family.

Great pics Perak. I see that vintage and classic love runs in the family.

Re the ford pickup, is this the same car from Jaipur, else id be really surprised (pleasantly of course) to know that another such rare specimen exists in India.
Old 29th January 2010, 21:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Nice pictures of an event that should have been good fun. We rarely see pictures of events held in those places. There were very nice Rolls's, even more in number than the last event in Mumbai had!
Vintageman took a whole contingent to Kanpur, I believe that there was fuel money given to each car. So this is another event where the organisers gave a bit extra to the participants.
The convertible Hillman is also noteworthy, being a convertible. Now we know of 4 such convertibles, three between Pune and Mumbai.
I also liked the Ford A pick-up, there are very few left in India. I have some older pictures.
If they did that, we have yet to receive a penny, or for that matter paise.
BTW V16, me is Ashutosh & Ashutosh is Perak (Sorry Sam Kapasi for the English)

Regards

Perak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks