Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 10:10   #1
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Vintage Cars In The News Abroad

This Thread is for Vintage Cars in the news abroad. I thought it would be interesting to have a seperate thread considering there are a good number articles in the net.
MODS please advice if this should be merged with another Thread.
Let me start with an interesting article on a Bugatti found in a lake.
Cheers
KPS
Article in Telegraph, UK
Bugatti wreck too valuable to restore
Lake-found Bugatti worth more than a roadworthy version.
By Dave Selby
Published: 5:54AM GMT 29 Jan 2010
Photo : Dave Selby
The Bugatti will be kept in as-found condition by its new owner.
A 1925 Bugatti that had languished in the depths of a Swiss lake for more than 70 years made waves when it surfaced at auction in Paris.
The 1,500cc four-cylinder Type 22 two-seater sold for a staggering £227,000 on January 23, far more than a fully restored car would be worth. Auctioneer Bonhams had only expected the fabulous, rusty relic to fetch £50,000 to £80,000.
The car, which was scuttled in the Thirties to avoid import duty, was bought by American Peter Mullin, who has the largest private Bugatti collection in the world.
Acting on his behalf, Dutch dealer Jack Braam Ruben said: "Anyone can buy a restored Brescia [Bugatti]… To us it is the ultimate sculpture, an automotive Dali or Monet, created by the world's most fabulous automobile creator and completed by the greatest creator of all, mother nature."
The unique artefact will be displayed and preserved in all its glorious dereliction.
Since the Bugatti broke the surface of Lake Maggiore in 2009 it has been making waves in another way – it has emerged that a car in a Japanese collection bears the identical chassis number.
Clearly someone has some explaining to do.
Old 31st January 2010, 17:36   #2
BHPian

I applaud this new thread as it gives us here a window on the world of Vintage and Classic Cars.

This particular article is of great importance as it under lines the value and importance of cars found in original condition and I hope that such significant cars here in India can be accorded the same respect and appreciation.

Lesser cars will benefit as well and as the article pointed out that anyone can restore a car, but once done, it's intrinsic value will be lost.

I'm looking forward to more such postings.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
This Thread is for Vintage Cars in the news abroad. I thought it would be interesting to have a seperate thread considering there are a good number articles in the net.
Cheers KPS
Article in Telegraph, UK
Bugatti wreck too valuable to restore
Lake-found Bugatti worth more than a roadworthy version.
By Dave Selby
Please also see
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...s-india-2.html post no 18.

Cheers harit
Old 7th February 2010, 08:47   #4
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Storm Does $1.5M Damage To Vintage Cars-Phoenix Weather News Story

Arizona Storm Takes Toll On 200 Collectable Autos

Sarah Buduson
Reporter, KPHO.com

Damage to vintage cars is estimated at $1.5 million after Thursday night's storm blew down two tents at the Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auction, according to event organizers............. Read Full Story

Storm Does $1.5M Damage To Vintage Cars - Phoenix Weather News Story - KPHO Phoenix

Nature does not discriminate. Must have been quite a traumatic experience for the owners as well as the organizers too.

KPS

Most Viewed