Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Is that Red Packard really a V12 ???
Well not very sure about that one but how about some light from DKG about this ? Or some more research would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Indrojit, this time you have done an excellent work. You have photographed all the cars, even the so called mundane cars, and shown them in proper light. Have enjoyed the pics and more so that the attached pics could be put properly.
That some cars are wrongly labelled is ofcourse not your fault. This has three reasons, carelessness of the organisers, ignorance of the owner or misrepresentation. Normally misrepresentation occurs for the prize of the oldest car, and sometimes to bring the entry to pre 1920. Sounds familiar?

I have heard two stories related to Packard, but I am not sure if it is this one. One was a Nabha V12, the other was that the car belonged to the scion of an industial house and he used the car for fishing and bird hunting. Whatever, must get to the story of this car. To me she does not look familiar. At the moment!

Now let us see what happens in the forthcomming Mumbai event on 14th March.

Cheers harit
Harit, Thankx for the compliment. Well maybe this is a lesson for fellow owners to provide proper details when they enter their cars at a rally.

Will try and find out something about the Packard.

The owner of the Standard is know to me well so incase you want anything more on it i can surely call him and find out.

Best of luck for the Mumbai event hope to see some more from your collection

[quote=mbz180;1761650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
These are pics of some which are not on my list.

Attachment 298625

Attachment 298626

Indrojit,

This is a 1955 Studebaker Champion, a car very close to my dad's heart because he had the same model as his very first car in his college days in around 1969 or so. He bought the car second hand but in great condition for Rs. 2500/- from the then Chairman of a very influential British tea and jute agency house called Balmer Lawrie, who purchased it as the official Chairman's car when it was new. Lovely cars and great pics.
Hi Prithvi

Yes i remember you telling me this story. I wish the car was still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perak View Post
Attaboy Indrojit. Way to go. Love the in-depth coverage. I can imagine the time spent on the computer. The mouse must've traveled the distance of Delhi to Kolkata and back.
Keep up the good work.
Any comments on the Morgan?

Perak

Thankx Perak. Well ya i spend quite a few hours so that everyone could enjoy this.

The Morgan was recently restored by Mr.Dhawan and i believe it was got a 2.0 Litre Isuzu engine in it and well it does sound like one but i could be wrong on this one. Can anyone else share something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

BTW Indrojit, may I point out that this Dodge Kingsway mentioned as a 1958 model is actually a '56:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...i-dsc01406.jpg

Well this car looks exactly like a 1956 but i went according to the list. One more thing here i would like to point out is that cars that were being assembeled here like the Studebakers the 1956 model was carried on till 1958. So they are not actulally wrong years on them but it was an old model. I can't say for sure regarding the Dodge. If it was assembeled in India then probably then we know the reason for the year.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 3rd March 2010 at 15:17.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:00   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

A grand event indeed. I am amazed at the number of vintage Mercedes! They are a rare sight here. Also the BMF Plymouth caught my eye, haven't seen one like it.

My pick would be the black Bentley, looks tastefully finished. I especially like the embellished wheel spats, original or not. Is the car known to the stalwarts? Any history/anecdotes to share?

I had heard about Rajiv Kher's Packard recently, it apparently used to belong to a member of a well known industrialist family, and the bonnet was polished back then too. I think she was a bright blue earlier.

Any more pics of the Opels and Peugeot? And the bikes?
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:51   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Was it 2500/- or 25,000/-??! Wow, cant believe a yank car could be had as low as 2500/- in the 60s!!

2500/- it was, and after paying this amount my dad realised that neither did the car have sufficient gas left for the trip home nor did he have any money left over for gas, so as hilarious as it sounds today, the Chairman of Balmer Lawrie at my dads sheepish behest very kindly threw in some money for gas with a "here you go old chap, and treat her well." My father says he will never forget this kind gesture nor his very first car.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:11   #64
BHPian

Similar story, off topic, please delete, but only after a few people have read it.
Not so long ago a very upright Parsi gent negotiated and agreed upon a sale price of Rs.1,45,000 for his much-loved, sparingly used Santro, overnight developed guilt pangs with the absurd notion that he was overcharging the buyer who was a Bori gent,insisted on reducing 20,000 on receipt of payment and threw in a full tank of petrol to top it all!
That's the British legacy to the already honest Parsi,for your consideration.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Any pictures of the chassis of the Morgan?

Sutripta
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This RR came from Asansol, it was originally a shootingbrake, i.e. it had a wooden station wagon type body. Then she was purchased by Mr. Malik and restored by Mr. Dhawan. The body now fitted is not original to this car. Incidently, Mr. Dhawan is holding a RR with this type of body which belongs to a south Indian Royal family. Apparently the body has been copied from that car. This has been perhaps 10 years in the making.
Would like to add that this car was ourchased by somneone else in Delhi and then was purchased by Mr.Malik.

Quote:

The two wheelers didn't flagoff from there because we saw one of them outside the staesman house so not too sure and i don't have any pics of any 2 wheelers except an Indian which i will put up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A grand event indeed. I am amazed at the number of vintage Mercedes! They are a rare sight here. Also the BMF Plymouth caught my eye, haven't seen one like it.

My pick would be the black Bentley, looks tastefully finished. I especially like the embellished wheel spats, original or not. Is the car known to the stalwarts? Any history/anecdotes to share?

I had heard about Rajiv Kher's Packard recently, it apparently used to belong to a member of a well known industrialist family, and the bonnet was polished back then too. I think she was a bright blue earlier.

Any more pics of the Opels and Peugeot? And the bikes?
The Black Bentley was restored in England and was then brought here.

I have some pics of the opels and will upload them when i get time.No bikes flagged off and were not on the list as well. But they were displayed at the Rail Museum.I wasn't there so maybe some one else could share them.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 3rd March 2010 at 23:43.
Old 5th March 2010, 14:35   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Great pics keep them coming.

That RR Skiff looks so neat, is that from Ranjit Mallik. What is its background.
That set of drawers on the RR look too crude to have been done by any professional coachbuilder, may be they are period add ons done by one of its earlier owners.
this is the Asansol Shooting Brake, now with presumably "R.M" coachwork
Old 6th March 2010, 14:11   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that Red Packard really a V12 ???
Well a small piece of info i recieved from a fellow team-bhpian - Karhan Kidwai.
He says that this car is a 8cylinder and not a V12 when i spoke to him yesterday.He said that a couple of weeks back the old owner was in town so they had taken the car out on a spin so thats how he says it is a 8 and not a V12.
I also requested Farhan to update this but then he said that he has forgotten his password.So i would say he is the best person at the moment who knows about the car well.
Old 6th March 2010, 19:41   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion the best car by looks was the yellow 38 Buick Eight tourer UPD 7650....the paint, the chrome and the stance of that car is truly a sight to behold.
True Wasif, that car really pulls off the colour well. She has made an appearence in the 1989 Statesman in black. This is one of the few times I really prefer the loud colour scheme.

She was in Bombay for a while, possibly for work. She also attended an event in Pune, giving company to another stunner in yellow, though a 47/48.

The Statesman Concourse - 28th Feb 2010 - Delhi-buicks02.jpg

The Statesman Concourse - 28th Feb 2010 - Delhi-special01.jpg
Old 7th March 2010, 09:41   #70
BHPian

Quote:
True Wasif, that car really pulls off the colour well. She has made an appearence in the 1989 Statesman in black. This is one of the few times I really prefer the loud colour scheme.

She was in Bombay for a while, possibly for work. She also attended an event in Pune, giving company to another stunner in yellow, though a 47/48.

Attachment 301578

Attachment 301579
when bought in the seventies, this car was metallic blue, then painted black for a long time, then for a short while black and silver, then yellow
Old 13th March 2010, 13:44   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Black Bentley was restored in England and was then brought here.
Indrojit I am told the car was very much restored in Delhi, not England. Are you sure about this?
Old 13th March 2010, 22:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indrojit I am told the car was very much restored in Delhi, not England. Are you sure about this?

DEC 7084 was said to be restored in england and UPX 123 was restored by Mr. Dhawan in delhi. Both are similer cars so there maybe a bit of confusion about it.
Old 15th March 2010, 05:30   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
DEC 7084 was said to be restored in england and UPX 123 was restored by Mr. Dhawan in delhi. Both are similer cars so there maybe a bit of confusion about it.
DEC-7084 I believe is ex-Nawab of Bhopal, Chassis B77-MX. Can someone please confirm ? Cheers!

UPX-123 may be the ex-Nabha car
Old 15th March 2010, 09:51   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No confusion from my side. Do you know who in England restored the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
DEC-7084 I believe is ex-Nawab of Bhopal, Chassis B77-MX. Can someone please confirm ? Cheers!

UPX-123 may be the ex-Nabha car
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/994216-post195.html
Old 18th March 2010, 14:53   #75
Senior - BHPian

[quote=IndrojitSircar;1759653]#100 - 1958 Morgan - Ashok Khosla (First Time)

Attachment 298594

Attachment 298595

[b][u][i]

Some how that Morgan looks like a kit car. Just the way the front fenders finish towards the ground etc and other things do not add up. Some may say it has some racing trim etc therefore looks different but them fender's and wheel wells etc just seem fiber glass kit carish. Anyone see/touch/feel this car?

I have some serious doubts about this car even lights below headlight are to far away to wards bottom, see the real Morgan below.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp morgn.bmp (888.8 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by canonball : 18th March 2010 at 15:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks