Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Some of the colours the Fiat 1100 D offered in India in 1967 were (1) moonstone (2) moss (2) coffee brown (3) black (4) light grey (matches with light grey in the Duco card). These shade names were from the PAL official list, so I do not know whether they used Duco or some other brand of paint?
The 1100 D in 1965 started with beige, light ocean blue, black among some of the colours. In 1967, newer shades were offered with beige and light ocean blue being discontinued.
Premier also used Addison Paints besides ICI
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yes they generally have these colours in their system, they sometimes have a seperate classic section in their computer charts and you have to request them to look into that specifically.
The dealers have no clue. Please contact ICI regional office & meet their rep. However, they cannot locate by names. They need the code number. But if you show the shade, they will suggest a few code numbers that might match
Old 27th January 2013, 22:14   #18
BHPian

Re: Pics: Triumph Spitfire MK3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A little info about the fiat, it was bought second hand but fully restored by RD himself from a famous restorer from bandra.

Aniruddh if you are restoring this car, please do try to maintain the shade of colour on the car, that is what he fell in love with!

I was so inspired by RDs car that i too had to have a elegant in the same colour. The same restorer helped me to get it exactly the same colour, though i do feel rds car is a shade bluer.
I've been trying to find accurate Fiat "Paint Colour Cards" for the 50's to mid 60's and they seem to not exist. They would be a GREAT & VALUED asset for any Fiat owners to refer to.

Does anyone have any such information that could be made available?

I recently wrote the Fiat Museum requesting such information and had a prompt reply that they would check their records. I'm not holding my breath but counting the days.

Last year I found an American Custom Car Paint Supplier that has a very extensive library of the American and European Car Manufacturers standard paints that they will then make up and provide to customers. Not practicable here in India but might be worth checking out.

When I was restoring my 62 Fiat WBF-1 that has the Italian Deluxe Trim, I decided to use a Powder or Baby Blue that I saw on one of their brochures. I felt that the colour mixed up was close but would have liked to have had the exact colour. I'm sure many of the purists would like to have the correct paint colours offered for their Model and Year.

Not sure if a special thread had been set up for this or not. Any comments or information would be much appreciated.

I think i'm off topic, if so can a Mod redirect this?

Last edited by john a milne : 27th January 2013 at 22:18.
Old 6th March 2013, 13:48   #19
BHPian

An interesting article from the Chemical Heritage Magazine. I've tried to insert the hyperlink, hope it works.

http://www.chemheritage.org/discover...evolution.aspx
farhan_kidwai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 19:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I've been trying to find accurate Fiat "Paint Colour Cards" for the 50's to mid 60's and they seem to not exist. They would be a GREAT & VALUED asset for any Fiat owners to refer to.

When I was restoring my 62 Fiat WBF-1 that has the Italian Deluxe Trim, I decided to use a Powder or Baby Blue that I saw on one of their brochures. I felt that the colour mixed up was close but would have liked to have had the exact colour. I'm sure many of the purists would like to have the correct paint colours offered for their Model and Year.

Not sure if a special thread had been set up for this or not. Any comments or information would be much appreciated.
The Fiat 100 Select (till 1962) came in :-
(1) Light grey or ash (also the Hillman Minx, Ford Deluxe of the 1940's, Landmaster/ Oxford Series II came in the same shade that was common for many makes)
(2) Bright cream
(3) Metallic apple green (not bright but a sobre shade) - yes its surprising that a metallic colour existed then, but its true
(4) Black, the universal shade, but the Millecentos that preceded the Select, had cream wheel discs on the black car. Perfectly period looks!
(5) Mantis green - probably this shade came in the later Selects replacing the old metallic apple green
Needless to say, that all the Select wheel discs were painted in the aluminum colour.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 20:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The Fiat 100 Select (till 1962) came in :-
(1) Light grey or ash (also the Hillman Minx, Ford Deluxe of the 1940's, Landmaster/ Oxford Series II came in the same shade that was common for many makes)
(2) Bright cream
(3) Metallic apple green (not bright but a sobre shade) - yes its surprising that a metallic colour existed then, but its true
(4) Black, the universal shade, but the Millecentos that preceded the Select, had cream wheel discs on the black car. Perfectly period looks!
(5) Mantis green - probably this shade came in the later Selects replacing the old metallic apple green
Needless to say, that all the Select wheel discs were painted in the aluminum colour.
A great reference, now any chance of posting the paint reference colours as found on the various paint suppliers here in India?
Old 6th March 2013, 20:45   #22
BHPian

Here is one page of the colours that Fiat offered in 1962 that I found on AUTOCOLORLIBRARY.

Not sure why the other pages didn't load, will have to check but this is a start.
Perhaps someone who is more computer literate than I can post the other 5 pages. It should be noted that these colours are for the Italian Fiats and may not be those used in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-1962fiatpg03.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 21:00   #23
BHPian

These are a few more pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-1962fiatpg031.jpg  

Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-1962fiatpg02.jpg  

Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-1962fiatpg04.jpg  

Old 6th March 2013, 21:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well the car would have been available from 1964 to 1966/7, so the card probably dates to that period.
Is this colour card from Italy or India?
Old 6th March 2013, 22:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
A great reference, now any chance of posting the paint reference colours as found on the various paint suppliers here in India?
We had discussed this point and fellow members could then say more about the exact references here on this thread in posts from # 12 onwards.
The paints were sourced by PAL from M/s Duco, ICI and Asian Paints as pointed out here.
Maybe we get some more expert comments too!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th March 2013 at 22:25.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some of the colours the Fiat 1100 D offered in India in 1967 were (1) moonstone...
Incidentally the moonstone white colour was actually a very light somewhat apple green. There is a single owned car in Pune still in that shade, though repainted. I had posted pictures elsewhere, cannot find them at the moment. The regn. number is 6000.

Then I have a 1971 Delight in 'Granopia/Grampia (?) green' (can't read the name properly). This is actually a light beige/cream, with a very mild hint of green.

Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-green.jpg

My 78 Padmini was delivered originally in 'Fawn Beige with arctic white top'. The colour is repainted, though traces of the original show it to be a tad stronger in shade.

Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-beige.jpg

My 62 Amby is presently in a colour called 'Bahama Beige' from Duco.

Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-bahama.jpg

A 72 Delight I have came originally in a dark grey colour uniquely called 'Sardine Nimbus'
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 11:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

This is all very nice, but you can never ever get the exact shade simply because the paint manufacturer was never ever consistent. And the colours did look different in the shade card and when actually applied on a car.
The worst were acrylic paints, one could never touch up without the patch showing up clearly. Another colour was imperial crimson, after touch up the car looked all tarted up.
Its an interesting historical perspective, but can never be very accurate as the colours were not consistant.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 15:41   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

While shade cards exist and most have the formula on tints with it it's of little help as in the really old colours from the 30's etc the tint reference doesn't exist in terms of approximation to modern paint system tints. So in cases such as these if original paint exists in cars enthusiasts have it scanned and a formulae developed in terms of modern tints. Quite a lot of shades have been reworked in modern tints making it possible to get a very good match.

The auto colour library is a great resource and if they have a shade approximated to in modern tints they will mix and spray a card for you as its not possible to import paints into India.

Here in India if you are repainting a car which has the original shade make sure you first get the modern equivalent formula for it before you scrape it off and if you don't have the info on the formula then you can have the panel scanned to have a formula developed to get a close match.

Getting colours right is a major major effort but well worth it when you go to the greatest of detail in ensuring the colour you mix matches the original shade. It's a nightmare when you try to develop shades by matching it with the eye. Much easier when you have the hard work done by an expert somewhere else and you have a formula to work with and ideally a sample card which you can then scan.

The TVS Chevy took me two months to get the colours right and in the end I had to order three sample cards from the US and then have the paint mixed locally.

Maroons are probably the toughest to work with and I must have worked on two dozen combinations, getting them all wrong before I was able to hunt out a formula for a spectacular solid maroon.

Getting paint shades right is such hard work, but so important. Patience and a willingness to keep trying till you have it right is the key.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 19:53   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Incidentally the moonstone white colour was actually a very light somewhat apple green. There is a single owned car in Pune still in that shade, though repainted. I had posted pictures elsewhere, cannot find them at the moment. The regn. number is 6000.
Thanks Karl for the information on Fiat/Padmini and your Ambassador shade. The Ambassador shade was available in the earliest Mark II"s too. Remember you had posted pictures of a Minx and Mark II belonging to a parsi lady from Pune, where the property was being demolished.
The moonstone colour I feel could be best seen in the Hindi film "Kal Aaj Aur Kal". Here Randhir Kapoor, a brat, drives his big car recklessly and Achla Sachdev's Fiat 1100D (in moonstone) just escapes from being involved in an accident.The lady gives a piece of her mind to the hero.

Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-babita.jpg

(Above) This is a picture of the Fiat during the song "aap yaha aaye kisliye?". Babita plays daughter of Achla Sachdev.
(Below) I can take the liberty of posting the video link here though Old Bollywood Films thread would have been more apt. But here is a new Delight (WBJ 2812) in moonstone:

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th March 2013 at 20:19.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 20:13   #30
BHPian

Here are photos of an old can of paint for Shriv's 57 Fiat that he is restoring and was it's original colour that he found after carefully scrapping off the top coats of paint.

He got lucky checking out the many old Auto paint stores found in Kolkata.
I wonder what old paints are sitting on the shelves out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-dsc05873.jpg  

Original (Vintage) Car Paint Colours-dsc05872.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 7th March 2013 at 20:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks