Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:08   #1
BHPian

BMW Classic Motorcycles

In Goa, there used to be a lot of BMW motorcyles till the late 80s, specially the 250 singles (R25, R26). Again, there were many Boxers in Bombay, especially with the Parsi community. It would be wonderful to know about the classic BMW motorcyles in India, and if anyone still owns and rides them now.
Rex RAP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:42   #2
BHPian

I took this picture of BMW in the Viva carnival 2008
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Classic Motorcycles-p1020101.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2010, 13:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Here's a link to one owned by a member here :
BMW R50 for all euro bike buffs

Have seen a few more featured on the forum, but you'll have to search...

cya
R
Old 24th March 2010, 17:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex RAP View Post
In Goa, there used to be a lot of BMW motorcyles till the late 80s, specially the 250 singles (R25, R26). Again, there were many Boxers in Bombay, especially with the Parsi community. It would be wonderful to know about the classic BMW motorcyles in India, and if anyone still owns and rides them now.
Goa (Spitfire Photos?) actually had quite a few BMW sidecar 750 twins too. Before liberation they were used by the portuguese army. These were auctioned by the Indian army in the late sixties. And then sold in our famous :"Chor Bazaar"
Pune (Karlos?) has a few twins too. Mumbai has the R50's and R69's I believe. Must be in someones living room for all you know. Bangalore? Hyderabad had one 750 that I saw (Harit?)
I saw a single R27 go down into the mud in Mahim. Later the owners son picked up the remains.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 24th March 2010 at 17:30.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:24   #5
BANNED

Yeah quite a few i Goa. But no longer there. Either hoarded and carried off for parts or some owners were too greedy and let them rot instead of selling them.

Have very fond memories of sitting pillion on a pilot (2 wheeler taxi) BMW R25 for many years. Used to know the owner + rider personally. But lost touch. He used to let me (then about 10-12 years) stare/touch feel the bike for hours together.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Goa (Spitfire Photos?) actually had quite a few BMW sidecar 750 twins too. Before liberation they were used by the portuguese army. These were auctioned by the Indian army in the late sixties. And then sold in our famous :"Chor Bazaar"
Pune (Karlos?) has a few twins too. Mumbai has the R50's and R69's I believe. Must be in someones living room for all you know. Bangalore? Hyderabad had one 750 that I saw (Harit?)
I saw a single R27 go down into the mud in Mahim. Later the owners son picked up the remains.
Since I have an R12, I wanted to find out how these came to India. Yes, they came through Portugal, given by Germany for the Portugeese Army/Police. And auctioned off, they came to Chor Bazar, and sold off, one or two even landed in Australia.
Where in Mahim was that R27? Sardars bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Yeah quite a few i Goa. But no longer there. Either hoarded and carried off for parts or some owners were too greedy and let them rot instead of selling them.
Have very fond memories of sitting pillion on a pilot (2 wheeler taxi) BMW R25 for many years. Used to know the owner + rider personally. But lost touch. He used to let me (then about 10-12 years) stare/touch feel the bike for hours together.
I have a number of cars and bikes from Goa. These were not for hoarding or greed, they just did not want to sell to other Goans. I have a collector friend in Goa who kept on complaining about this phenomenon. Maybe some were greedy, but certainly not all.

Cheers harit
Old 25th March 2010, 00:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a lovely R51/3 owned by a friend in Secunderabad. It was bought by his father and originally had a HYX regn. Then later on, the gent had moved on to a Lambretta and eventually cars, so this bike was kept in the loft of their store cum residence (they own a popular camera store) where it remained until the 90s when the present owner, his son, brought it down and restored it. He also has another BMW, a single cyl. although not too familiar with the exact name.

BMW Classic Motorcycles-img_0366.jpg

BMW Classic Motorcycles-img_0367.jpg
Old 25th March 2010, 00:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

That's a beautiful looking bike! And an excellent job with the restoration too!
Old 25th March 2010, 00:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Since I have an R12, I wanted to find out how these came to India. Yes, they came through Portugal, given by Germany for the Portugeese Army/Police. And auctioned off, they came to Chor Bazar, and sold off, one or two even landed in Australia.
Where in Mahim was that R27? Sardars bike?
I have a number of cars and bikes from Goa. Cheers harit
I'm sorry I think the bike lying at mahim was a R26. I think the owner is from Andheri. It was in good condition, probably work was done but he did not collect it or pay for that for many years. Not hard to guess what happened to the bike after that.

By Sardars bike do you mean the Red, one owner, from grandfather to son to grandson? If yes then that was a 500 cc Twin. I think that was a R42. sajid did his Kamaal on that.

What is the story about your R12, from Portugal & chor bazaar?. What was the source of info and more importantly how good. I heard a differnt story that it came from Hyderabad in a lot. And what about the bikes that went to Australia. Any photos or links or story. What other bikes have you got from Goa

Years ago there was a person by the name of Kalidas he had a R50 or R60 or R69 not sure which . He lived near that circular park behind Ceasar's palace near Anup's old house and garage. I think his bike was bought by Jeh Wadia?

Ahaa Staner nice photos. Sometimes it pays to stay up late. My neighbour had a bike like that. It came from Gujarat or Rajasthan. he had a Parsi g/f who works for Air India and she used to get him all the parts from Germany. He got lucky one day watching a R75 parked on the road. This bike was being ridden by a German on a Carne permit. They became friends and later this guy gifted him the bike in Europe after he went back. All he had to pay for was Customs duty. Bike was for free. Pls try and get photos of your friend's single cyl BMW.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 25th March 2010 at 00:59.
Old 27th March 2010, 14:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bmw 1956 R26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Have seen a few more featured on the forum, but you'll have to search...cya R
Here's a 1956 R26 single from Nagpur posted by anjan_c2007 in another thread.
regards
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Classic Motorcycles-1956-bmw-r-26.jpg  

Old 27th March 2010, 15:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some bikes that frequent the rally scene

Spotted in a Pune rally

BMW Classic Motorcycles-001.jpg
BMW Classic Motorcycles-002.jpg

Appeared in Bombay, I think 2006.

BMW Classic Motorcycles-bmw.jpg

At a Pune rally, gives company to a neat collection of cars.

BMW Classic Motorcycles-bmw01.jpg

At a Pune rally, a real stunner

BMW Classic Motorcycles-bmw1.jpg
BMW Classic Motorcycles-bmw2.jpg

At a Pune rally

BMW Classic Motorcycles-bmw03.jpg
BMW Classic Motorcycles-bmw04.jpg

At a Calcutta rally

BMW Classic Motorcycles-bbmw.jpg
Old 27th March 2010, 16:53   #12
BANNED

Quote:
I have a number of cars and bikes from Goa. These were not for hoarding or greed, they just did not want to sell to other Goans.
The do not want to sell to other Goans is the key isnt it. Anyways, there are still a few around.

Next time I am in Goa I am goingto look for Chandu the BMW pilot.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a number of cars and bikes from Goa. These were not for hoarding or greed, they just did not want to sell to other Goans. I have a collector friend in Goa who kept on complaining about this phenomenon. harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The do not want to sell to other Goans is the key isnt it. Anyways, there are still a few around.

Next time I am in Goa I am goingto look for Chandu the BMW pilot.
So what exactly is the reason for this strange behaviour of not wanting to sell to other fellow Goans? If this is true then maybe I should go as a mumbaikar to the owners of the few bikes i have seen. That is if mumbaikars are acceptable.

spitfire does chandu still have his BMW? if yes then I wil say "me too". Now when will you be in Goa next? Just so that I can ride on Chandu's bile and have a look at your S 7 too.
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 28th March 2010 at 10:37.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:50   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
So what exactly is the reason for this strange behaviour of not wanting to sell to other fellow Goans?
My analysis, non - Goans shell out more money.

Quote:
spitfire does chandu still have his BMW?
I have no idea if he does. I need to go look for him.

I remember you saying that you are a regular to Mr Baker next(not really but there around, you would know) to Panjim Church.

You must have surely seen him like about 10 years back if not less. He used to wear a white shirt and khaki shorts and wait for passengers at that pilot stand.

I am down in end May. We should catch up.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

There was one Mr.Joshi, a Parsi from Dadar Parsi Colony having a BMW motorcycle. He used to work as a purser. Not seen for ages now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks