Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 18:46   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Amol,

I was just admiring the photo showing the ripple free lines on the side of your car and the reflection on the doors when I noticed something odd - the wipers are pointing in the wrong direction. You may need to take of the wiper arms and install them in the correct position at its rest point.

If I remember correctly, even if the wiper switch is put off at any point of the sweep, the wipers come back to their rest place which is towards the left side. I might be wrong on this though since my car was last operational a long time back.

Just an observation.
Good Observation, The wiper motor needs some work though they work when lifted up from the glass, they cant seem to take the resistance of the blade on the glass. Should the wipers return to original position when it is switched off? As you are aware that I had blown the head gasket on my car and then had to work on the engine a bit before getting her back on the road. As off now I am really testing the engine performance. Will look at all these issues (many electrical ones) during the monsoon when I plan to overcoat the car.
Old 12th May 2014, 19:32   #437
Senior - BHPian

So nice to se a group of like minded guys having casual fun with their cars as they should, keep it going guys and soon you will have more and more cars.

What's the history of the APU Mercedes. Do you get to open floor the pedal on portions of the drive just to clear the carb s ?
Old 12th May 2014, 21:08   #438
Senior - BHPian

We do floor the cars once in a while but current heat does not warrant us to tax the cars further .

The APU is a HYDEREBAD car and was seen long back by me with a prominent collector there. How it's got itself here is not known but an enthusiastic owner who brings it and that's good.

Cheers
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 22:21   #439
BHPian

1960 Chevrolet 4 dr sedan in this set of photos : It makes no sense to doctor up a perfectly good Biscayne ( a sought after car by itself) to look like an Impala ! On front fender it distinctly says Biscayne, but the rear tail lights ? A bad hatchet job to make it look like an Impala - the lights are are much farther apart, the back-up lights are supposed to be in the middle of two red tail lights , the chrome and black vertical back ground is missing , on sides above the rear wheel well white stripes to resemble an Impala ? in other words, a hatchet job ! Should never have tried to alter a perfectly good example of a 1960 Biscayne. The hub caps are not Biscayne either . It is no more a stock 1960 Chevrolet Biscayne . It pains to see someone try to deck up a perfect looking car and spoil the originality. I salute car lovers who have tried and succeeded in maintaining quality over silly showmanship. Please compare to the red 1960 Impala covertible _ it is as original as it came from the showroom ! A beautiful car, indeed !

Last edited by priyo : 12th May 2014 at 22:29.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:20   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The wiper motor needs some work though they work when lifted up from the glass, they cant seem to take the resistance of the blade on the glass. Should the wipers return to original position when it is switched off?
Actually, I do not remember whether they return to their rest point when switched off in any other position, but I think not. Perhaps you could see what happens to the wipers on the white 180a when they are switched off.

BTW, your car being an early year, does it have 6 volt or 12 volt electricals?
Old 13th May 2014, 13:13   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Good Observation, The wiper motor needs some work though they work when lifted up from the glass, they cant seem to take the resistance of the blade on the glass. Should the wipers return to original position when it is switched off? As you are aware that I had blown the head gasket on my car and then had to work on the engine a bit before getting her back on the road. As off now I am really testing the engine performance. Will look at all these issues (many electrical ones) during the monsoon when I plan to overcoat the car.
First disconnect the switch, check linkages for a bind, run the motor direct from the battery. If the problem persists,
I suggest you have the winding of the motor re varnished. Normally that is the cause of the motor not taking the load. If that does not work, a thorough over haul , with new windings should rectify the problem. rarely does anything else go wrong with wiper motors.

Your manual will tell you if this model had self parking wipers
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 21:49   #442
Senior - BHPian

Hi Priyo

Which car are you referring to ?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
1960 Chevrolet 4 dr sedan in this set of photos : It makes no sense to doctor up a perfectly good Biscayne ( a sought after car by itself) to look like an Impala ! On front fender it distinctly says Biscayne, but the rear tail lights ? A bad hatchet job to make it look like an Impala - the lights are are much farther apart, the back-up lights are supposed to be in the middle of two red tail lights , the chrome and black vertical back ground is missing , on sides above the rear wheel well white stripes to resemble an Impala ? in other words, a hatchet job ! Should never have tried to alter a perfectly good example of a 1960 Biscayne. The hub caps are not Biscayne either . It is no more a stock 1960 Chevrolet Biscayne . It pains to see someone try to deck up a perfect looking car and spoil the originality. I salute car lovers who have tried and succeeded in maintaining quality over silly showmanship. Please compare to the red 1960 Impala covertible _ it is as original as it came from the showroom ! A beautiful car, indeed !
Old 13th May 2014, 22:57   #443
BHPian

1960 Blue /White Chevrolet ' The Classic Drive Thread (Mumbai) page 27-28
Old 15th May 2014, 11:34   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Actually, I do not remember whether they return to their rest point when switched off in any other position, but I think not. Perhaps you could see what happens to the wipers on the white 180a when they are switched off.

BTW, your car being an early year, does it have 6 volt or 12 volt electricals?
She may have come on a 12V system to begin with, I am not sure. But right now she is running on 12V.
Old 15th May 2014, 13:51   #445
BHPian

Quote:
1960 Chevrolet 4 dr sedan in this set of photos : It makes no sense to doctor up a perfectly good Biscayne ( a sought after car by itself) to look like an Impala ! On front fender it distinctly says Biscayne, but the rear tail lights ? A bad hatchet job to make it look like an Impala - the lights are are much farther apart, the back-up lights are supposed to be in the middle of two red tail lights , the chrome and black vertical back ground is missing , on sides above the rear wheel well white stripes to resemble an Impala ? in other words, a hatchet job !
Priyo, while you are of course entitled to your views, was it really necessary to remark so harshly on the car? Please remember that this is a public forum and I personally feel, to keep in line with the spirit of a forum such as ours, opinions should be aired with some degree of restraint.

You will appreciate that there are a lot of us who can spot tonnes of flaws on several cars owned by members of this forum, but seldom does anyone air their views in a hostile manner. If views are aired, they are directed more towards educating the owners to correct the flaws and I'm sure we all try to not offend owners. Don't you think that the owner of the Biscayne will be offended, especially as this is a public forum and your words are there for everyone to read?

Sure the owner's made some alterations to a stock car, but it looks far from a hatchet job. To the untrained eye, it looks like the triple lights were there from the factory. Note, the very fact that the owner has retained the "Biscayne" emblems on the fenders is a pointer to the fact that he doesn't want to showcase the car as an Impala, or else he would have replaced the signs with Impala emblems.

My views are not directed personally at you, but as a general view that in the spirit of a public forum, I feel a degree of restraint is better than harsh words which will only lead to insult and offense and nothing else.

For the record, I have never spoken to or met the owner of the car, ever.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 21:00   #446
BHPian

Prithvi. : I offer my apology to BHPians in general and to the owner of the 1960 Biscayne in particular for my critique of the car. I should have, instead , offered my appreciation to the gentleman for having taken the pains to keep a 64 year car in good, nay , excellent condition ( minor customizing notwithstanding) . I would still be interested to know if he has retained its originality under the hood . I am retracting my earlier views and offer this apology to the owner of the car for my earlier choice of words.
To you, I am thankful for pointing out my earlier indiscretion . My views, henceforth , will be constrained. Having been a GM car owner, partial to Chevies, I was carried away . I look forward to future participation in BHP as a responsible member.
priyo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 21:55   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Prithvi. : I offer my apology to BHPians in general and to the owner of the 1960 Biscayne in particular for my critique of the car. I should have, instead , offered my appreciation to the gentleman for having taken the pains to keep a 64 year car in good, nay , excellent condition ( minor customizing notwithstanding) . I would still be interested to know if he has retained its originality under the hood . I am retracting my earlier views and offer this apology to the owner of the car for my earlier choice of words.
To you, I am thankful for pointing out my earlier indiscretion . My views, henceforth , will be constrained. Having been a GM car owner, partial to Chevies, I was carried away . I look forward to future participation in BHP as a responsible member.
I just wanted to write in appreciate your response quoted above. Takes a lot to apologise. You, sir, are a good man!
Old 16th May 2014, 02:54   #448
BHPian

Priyo,
Just thought I would inform you that the current owner recently bought this car as is! restoration was not done by him but by the previous owner, a wonderful gentleman, on the forum, who perhaps was just not as critical with detail as many of us are.

Hopefully the current owner, who is just enjoying the car at the moment, will sometime in future, restore her correctly.

The 1960 convertible by comparison, was restored by a well known gentleman who was given a free hand by the owner to restore the car as she would have looked in 1960.

The continental kit, though not original to this particular car, was thought to be a nice period attachment
Old 16th May 2014, 12:45   #449
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Extreme Power and myself plan to ride this sunday at 7 am to Mahape and return via the new flyover to kalina. If you'll are driving this sunday to BKC then we would love to meet up there.
Old 18th May 2014, 14:23   #450
Senior - BHPian

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403047.069289.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403064.535394.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403076.769559.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403086.654315.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403097.921480.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403107.039001.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403117.639816.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403128.942111.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403139.058460.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403147.359110.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403156.676752.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403165.760579.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403177.511780.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403186.028772.jpgThe Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400403194.513134.jpg
kasli is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks