Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 13:44   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Guys just spoke to a few friends this evening and they are all geared up for the drive on the 25th that is the fourth sunday of this month.

From our first drive which consisted of 9 cars this time we should have 20 odd cars coming. The venue to meet would be carter road cafe coffee day and we can head into town or do the other way head towards lokandwala. The option is open. Please feel free to contribute and give your feedbacks. Thank you.
The meeting at Carter road option is good (my beloved M.O.D. is just a hop away ), but I guess we should do town again, Its just really a very scenic Drive to do!!
Old 13th April 2010, 15:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
I heard that the VCCCI Rally in Pune, may be held on 24th / 25th April.
There is no 100% confirmation yet.
However, please be informed and plan accordingly.
Boss I am not sure how many people will participate in this, besides I would rather go with the classic car drive anyday.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Pics of all the cars of Bygone era.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard that the VCCCI Rally in Pune, may be held on 24th / 25th April.
There is no 100% confirmation yet.
However, please be informed and plan accordingly.
The Pune Boys will have a great time Sir. I would do the drive then drive to pune in a classic that too in this heat. Mr.Dossa di not mention anything regarding the Pune event. The guys who are coming are not interested in going to Pune for the Rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The meeting at Carter road option is good (my beloved M.O.D. is just a hop away ), but I guess we should do town again, Its just really a very scenic Drive to do!!
I was shooting an idea since that side of town is forgotten in the Map of the Vintage and Classic car sceene. I am ok with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Boss I am not sure how many people will participate in this, besides I would rather go with the classic car drive anyday.
, We will have more fun than what you have in the Rally and thats what we aim to achieve. Events, drives all lined up.
Old 13th April 2010, 22:18   #50

Speedy, the route can be as you guys wish. As long as the classics get a run.
Old 14th April 2010, 00:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Speedy, the route can be as you guys wish. As long as the classics get a run.
Thats the idea Cyrus. A drive is the theme of these meets.

Mods could you'll please alter the thread title to The Classic cars Drive Thread. Thank you.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:55   #52
BHPian

Is the 25th meet confirmed?
Old 20th April 2010, 10:39   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

After four decades of attending static displays of vintage cars this is so refreshing to see. Aniruddh glad you have started the drives we discussed. This makes so much more sense and takes ownership experience of these beauties to a whole new level.

Our fondness for our Packard stems primarily from the fact that it was used extensively as a family car and has been all over south India. Driving these cars is really the best way to enjoy and keep them in top shape.

The Mumbai enthusiasts and the Delhi gang are definitely setting the right tone for vintage car ownership. New blood , new ideas, more fun !!

Those Pontons look awesome. You guys are an inspiration to restore mine now !!
Old 20th April 2010, 12:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Is the 25th meet confirmed?
Yes it is RandonUsername. We meet outside Cafe Coffee Day Carter road at 8am and then decide from there either to drive to Nariman point like the last time or to Kala Ghoda. We have a minimum of 20 cars that would be there confirmed and another 15 tentetive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
After four decades of attending static displays of vintage cars this is so refreshing to see. Aniruddh glad you have started the drives we discussed. This makes so much more sense and takes ownership experience of these beauties to a whole new level.

Our fondness for our Packard stems primarily from the fact that it was used extensively as a family car and has been all over south India. Driving these cars is really the best way to enjoy and keep them in top shape.

The Mumbai enthusiasts and the Delhi gang are definitely setting the right tone for vintage car ownership. New blood , new ideas, more fun !!

Those Pontons look awesome. You guys are an inspiration to restore mine now !!
Thank you DKG for your encouragment and support, but unfortunatly i have not discussed anything regarding the drives with you or my brother. It was something i used to do with a friend of mine when our cars stood closer to home and wanted to restart it, So shot the idea on the Mumbai Vintage car rally thread after the repeated Delays from VCCCI's end.

This is Abhishek, Aniruddh is just a Participant in the Drives and nothing with the Co-ordinating and planning of things.

I do have big plans for the owners of Vintage and Classic cars and it would take time to get it working but as a start a few of us thought the small drives is a good direction to begin.

The idea first being is owners can interact with each other and create a comfortable enviournment rather than at the rally's where you are lost in watching over your car due to the poor management of things.

The second thought was of our cars, which either due to the idea of driving alone or due to the traffic do not get used. Here even a 10 km drive is helpfull in maintaining the heart of a car and keeping them in their prime.

We hopefully With everyones support will make it a prominent feature of Bombays events calendar.

Last edited by speedy : 20th April 2010 at 12:39.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:41   #55

Really looking forward to Sunday. I may even try to get 3112 from Pune for the Drive.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:49   #56
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Aniruddh is just a Participant in the Drives and nothing with the Co-ordinating and planning of things.
That's really wonderful that this was your initiative. After the Bentley and Mustang drives Aniruddh and I had discussed the need to do something on our own, possibly a Hyderabad Bangalore drive given a fabulous highway.

Since we did this often for superbikes I tried unsuccessfully to motivate locals here to do this but no one seems interested. Quite obviously Mumbai owners have the right spirit. Its just so much fun. When you combine these drives with breakfasts or lunches it becomes one helluva activity for a weekend. Too much fun.

Best wishes and hopefully I'll join you guys someday Been a long while since APX 110 tasted Mumbai air
Old 20th April 2010, 13:52   #57
BHPian

Hoping to get a '87 german damsel this time. If things work out there would be a '32 Austin too in the tow. Would like to meet somewhere in town.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:58   #58

Fantastic. Is it the old C Class?
Old 20th April 2010, 19:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard that the VCCCI Rally in Pune, may be held on 24th / 25th April. There is no 100% confirmation yet. However, please be informed and plan accordingly.
No VCCCI event in Pune on 25th. It has been cancelled. But there is an event being organised by Zigwheels, going to some heritage property outside Pune being run by Kamaths? It is by invitation only, wonder how many invitees would turn up when one has to remember that most of these classics have no airconditioning. It is simply too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
That's really wonderful that this was your initiative. After the Bentley and Mustang drives Aniruddh and I had discussed the need to do something on our own, possibly a Hyderabad Bangalore drive given a fabulous highway. Since we did this often for superbikes I tried unsuccessfully to motivate locals here to do this but no one seems interested. Quite obviously Mumbai owners have the right spirit. Its just so much fun. When you combine these drives with breakfasts or lunches it becomes one helluva activity for a weekend. Too much fun. Best wishes and hopefully I'll join you guys someday Been a long while since APX 110 tasted Mumbai air
The Mumbai initiatives are a step in the right direction. Unfortunately it is too hot now for many of us to join, the last VCCCI event did drain a lot of participants.
The benchmark for an event in Mumbai can be the bentley and Mustang events, but remember, these were organised events and private events not for public. Organisation is very important for a thoroughly enjoyable event, remember the Vashi to Khandala run. It was pure fun. Private events allow the participants some exclusion of the general public, the Bentley fellows thumbed their noses at the Mumbai public, the Mustang guys did their own thing starting at film city and zoomed off. Few were even aware.
So when Mumbai cools down, we must have a combo of both, some private fun events amongs us like the FCCCI and VW events, and also organised events like Sportscraft did. We enthusiasts often do meet up, but it is more for refreshments than the drive, which will change wioth the weather.

And finally, DKG, did APX 110 really come to Mumbai? When and under what circumstances was that car here? The problem with such events is the transportation cost. Pune is still doable, any further is an effort. I remember that Solanki and a few others drove their cars to Jaipur for an event about 15 years ago!

Cheers harit
Old 20th April 2010, 23:53   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And finally, DKG, did APX 110 really come to Mumbai? When and under what circumstances was that car here?
Do you remember a phenomenal rally called the All India Rally held somewhere close to 1970? Dad participated in a white MG Midget with a Britisher. I think they came fourth. Nasir Hussain had won that event I think. Dad lost a lot of time on account of a busted silencer and subsequent goof ups in fixing it by the army garages during their start. He also opted to stop to help another participant who busted his petrol tank and lost more time. That MG was such a darling car. The owners were our neighbours in those years

We drove to Bombay in APX 110 for the finish (two of Dad's friends drove the car with Mum, my sis and I). I remember the finishing point for the rally was some ground near Churchgate I think.

I am not aware of any other vintage car amongst our friends and families who have done as much long distance driving as we have in APX 110. Thrice to Madras, once to Tirupati, once to Bombay and once to Bangalore. I can never forget one such journey when I think he was tired and wanted to sleep it off. He parked the car by the highway. Mum slept on the front seat, my sis and I slept on the luxurious rear seat and Dad actually slept in front of the car on a mat !! BTW that spot lamp on the car was his weapon to diasarm truck drivers. On highways he used to have it focused on their faces and invariably they gave way to APX.

The last great roadtrip for APX 110 was in 95/96 when Dad at 67 drove her all the way from Hyderabad to Bangalore (attended a vintage car event) and then headed onto Madras and back to Hyd with Mum and my aunt.

These are just some tales which makes this car so special to us. We consider APX 110 family. She has spent more time with us on countless road journeys than any other car we owned. BTW I am not counting the zillion road trips around Hyderabad to Warangal and Mahbubnagar when my uncle was posted there in the police dept.

During the fifties Dad would drive to Bombay for weekend parties ! And it was usually in his six cylinder Packard and once in the 34 Eight which he dropped off in Bombay when Savalas shipped it out.

He has used APX 110 like we do our modern cars. I learnt to drive on APX 110

Someday I'll scan the many pictures of this beloved car and host a thread dedicated to her life and times as a member of our family.

I have a dream to one day drive APX 110 right up to the north. Someday soon hopefully.

BTW the car has never broken down ever and let us down. She's never been towed ! That's Packard !!

Last edited by DKG : 21st April 2010 at 00:00.

Most Viewed