Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 18:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi KPS,

Nice to get to see some more details of the cars in this Museum. I understand that the collection will grow, and maybe sometime later they will have a purpose built museum. They have some nice cars out there. Can you dig out some info for us?
In the group picture, what is that green sedan, a Vauxhall? Maybe you will still be sending some more pics.
Why was the herald cut? It looks like the cutting was done for some other display elsewhere, and then brought here. And what is that standing next to it? It looks like a custom built Limo of Indian origin.
Do you have a picture of the Fordson tractor?
What is the history of the Rolls, where did it come from, any previous royal owner? Nothing seems to be known about this car.
The 1925 Mercedes, I have a strong feeling that the year is wrong. It could be 1926, but I feel it is still later.
Can you tell us the make of the 1926 Ambulance?
The Nash is a lovely and rare car, there may not be more than 5 Nash's in India, but the healights should be plated.
The picture of Gandhi sitting in that car is a joke, this photo was offered to a friend and collector in Delhi as recently as 3 months ago. I could tell him that it is a fake, on closer examination he came to the same conclusion. Wonder how many of these are floating around.
Please post more, and let us have your further inputs.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 20th April 2010 at 18:46.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Harit.

That green car is indeed a Vauxhall
Old 20th April 2010, 20:22   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Why was the herald cut? It looks like the cutting was done for some other display elsewhere, and then brought here.
The same question I feel like asking! A real sad sight indeed! But it doesnt look like it was done by this mueseum but rather elsewhere. But I dont understand the purpose behind displaying it in this way against the wall in a place like this.

PS: the hubcap looks like that of a FIAT 1100! FCB alert!
Old 21st April 2010, 07:30   #19
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

10. 1929 Vauxhall ( 6 Cyl., 20 HP, CTX 2753)

This appears to be a Vauxhall 20/60 which is the first major launch after the acquisition of Vauxhall by General Motors in 1925. The car is again a rare car and has a partition glass. The colour choice is mainly to grab eyeballs!

The Vauxhall and its fluted bonnet
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-vaux1.jpg

Note the partition glass
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-vaux2.jpg

Dash
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-vaux3.jpg
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-vaux4.jpg

11. Chevrolet Van (4 Cyl. 21 HP, BYF 7820)

The yellow van next to the ambulance
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-chevy-van.jpg

12.1930 Morris Oxford (4 Cyl. 15 HP, MYE 204)

This car was collected from Sirsi, Karnataka and used to carry carry devotees to Dharmathala as a taxi in 1940's. Interesting woody.

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-mor-ox1.jpg
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-mor-ox2.jpg
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-mor-ox3.jpg

13. 1931 Fiat ( 6 Cyl. 20 HP, CTW 2000)

I am not able to identify the correct model

Photo as in the booklet
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-fiat.jpg

14. 1931 Chevrolet Delux (6 Cyl., 26 HP, MYM 3075)

This car is being refurbished and colour is being changed to light green body and dark green mud guards. The general view taken by the museum is that the car should be colourful so as to attract eyeballs!

Picture for the Booklet in its erlier colour

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-chevy.jpg

More to follow.

Cheers
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2010, 07:44   #20
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi KPS,

Can you dig out some info for us?
In the group picture, what is that green sedan, a Vauxhall? Maybe you will still be sending some more pics.
Indeed a rare Vauxhall.

Why was the herald cut? It looks like the cutting was done for some other display elsewhere, and then brought here. And what is that standing next to it? It looks like a custom built Limo of Indian origin.
No idea on why the Herald was cut. The rear part is in the inner part of the museum converted to seats to seat 4 people. The car next is a 1991 Lincoln limo, picture of this car later.

Sorry No

What is the history of the Rolls, where did it come from, any previous royal owner? Nothing seems to be known about this car.
Have sought the help of Travancore. Hopefully we will figure out before posting the details

The 1925 Mercedes, I have a strong feeling that the year is wrong. It could be 1926, but I feel it is still later.

Correct, it is displayed as a 1926.

Can you tell us the make of the 1926 Ambulance?
I do not have info other than the pictures

The picture of Gandhi sitting in that car is a joke, this photo was offered to a friend and collector in Delhi as recently as 3 months ago. I could tell him that it is a fake, on closer examination he came to the same conclusion. Wonder how many of these are floating around.

Spoke to the museum authorities and they said that they are aware that the photo was fake. They have promised to send me the certificate given to one Bob John (Owner/driver?) by Gandhiji. This certifcate is in the main museum. This should clear the air. The Studebaker was used for his tours of Karnataka and Tamilnadu

Please post more, and let us have your further inputs.

Cheers harit
In all I have listed details of close to 50 cars which I will post as in the next few days.

Cheers

KPS
Old 21st April 2010, 11:42   #21
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi KPS,
Cheers harit
I was able to get one picture from the earlier post of Dominator.
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-d271.jpg

Cheers
Old 21st April 2010, 12:08   #22
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Using a combination of Dominators previous photograph and mine, I have been able show the Herald front and back. As stated earlier, I have no idea why they copped this car but it surely attracts attention.

The front as taken by me.
Name:  Herald Front.bmp
Views: 5154
Size:  900.1 KB

The rear was posted by Dominator earlier.
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-d4.jpg

This is one car which will never move out of the museum

Cheers
Old 21st April 2010, 15:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Good effort, i had taken pics of those cars with permission.

And the permission was given by the main restorer of cars at Dharmasthala, whom i know personally well.
Mods, this is little bit , but I can't wait any more to ask this question which I don't get answer since very long. Please move it to other related thread or a new thread, if required.

1. Why in India most of all such places don't allow to take photos?
2. Why permissions are given to selected people? Hey Pavan, I have just quoted you as it matches to my questions, don't take it other way.

Take places like Museums, some of galleries, some shows, mostly all religious places, monuments etc... the list goes on. I don't see these things in other countries (from my visit to US & friends to other countries).
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:58   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post

1. Why in India most of all such places don't allow to take photos?
2. Why permissions are given to selected people?

Take places like Museums, some of galleries, some shows, mostly all religious places, monuments etc... the list goes on. I don't see these things in other countries (from my visit to US & friends to other countries).
1. They do not allow you to take photos because they sell pictures as part as their revenue streams. Secondly they do not want people to use these pictures for commercial gain at the cost of the museum.
2. Select people get access as long that the Museum Authorities can establish the purpose of the adventure and satisfy themselves that there is no commecial gain. Secondly we have interacted with the Museum authorities in various capacities over the last 15-20 years, hence there is an element of trust.
3. Lastly see the entry fees in India. Abroad the entry fees is very high, they do not need to sell photographs. If you increase entry fees to the standards in US, people will not be able to afford.

Cheers
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:07   #25
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

15. 1933 Austin (4 Cyl., 7 HP, MYM 697)

Quite a common car hence no photographs

16. 1935 Sunbeam (6 Cyl., 22 HP, GJB 3617)

This Sunbeam hunting tourer with special body by Brooks with hunting lights and glass fittings was built for the Maharaja of Kolhapur. This was Kolhapur 1 car. Legend is that the Maharaja stopped using this car for hunting when he had a close shave with the tiger which almost jumped into the car! Post that incedent the Maybach was used for hunting as the stort goes. The car was bought from Gujarat to Bangalore, restored in Bangalore before sold to the museum. The car was complete and very original and even had the original leather box in the rear. Definitely one of the top cars of the museum.

Pictures in Bangalore before the car was sold to the museum

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc00995.jpg

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc00996.jpg

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc00997.jpg

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc00998.jpg

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc00999.jpg

17. 1936 Morris 8 (4 Cyl., MEV 5622)
No photgraph

18. 1936 Adler Trumpf Junior Kabrio(4 Cyl., 25 HP, BYJ 1791)

Adler was one of Germany's little know prewar manufacturer and introduced the Junior in 1934 and production stopped in 1940. This is car is a front wheel drive.

This is a very nice looking car should have some history from Mumbai.

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc01334.jpg
Name:  DSC01365.JPG
Views: 5954
Size:  63.0 KB

19. 1937 Skoda Popular Roadster (4 Cyl., 20 HP, BMX 5712)

This is a unique car as it is a small roadster. The gearbox is in the rear and is mated with the differential.

This car was originally came from Pune to Bangalore and then restored and sold to the museum.

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc01383.jpg

20. 1938 Opel Kadett ( 4 Cyl., 1.1 litre, 23 HP, MYW 1015)

The Opel Kadett was one of the most successful small cars for Opel and was produced from 1936 to 1940. As per Wikipedia the car had a 59% market share in it class by 1938. Production stopped in 1940 with the advent of war and due to fact that the production facilities were in the Soviet Union. The Soviets reintroduced this car in an unaltered form from 1947 to 54 as Moskvitch 400.

This is a very pleasing car to look.
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-opel1.jpg

Cheers

KPS
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
18. 1936 Adler Trumpf Junior Kabrio(4 Cyl., 25 HP, BYJ 1791) Adler was one of Germany's little know prewar manufacturer and introduced the Junior in 1934 and production stopped in 1940. This is car is a front wheel drive. This is a very nice looking car should have some history from Mumbai.

19. 1937 Skoda Popular Roadster (4 Cyl., 20 HP, BMX 5712) This is a unique car as it is a small roadster. The gearbox is in the rear and is mated with the differential. This car was originally came from Pune to Bangalore and then restored and sold to the museum.

20. 1938 Opel Kadett ( 4 Cyl., 1.1 litre, 23 HP, MYW 1015) The Opel Kadett was one of the most successful small cars for Opel and was produced from 1936 to 1940. As per Wikipedia the car had a 59% market share in it class by 1938. Production stopped in 1940 with the advent of war and due to fact that the production facilities were in the Soviet Union. The Soviets reintroduced this car in an unaltered form from 1947 to 54 as Moskvitch 400. This is a very pleasing car to look.
Cheers KPS
Hi KPS,

The Adler came from a Bengali gent from Nagpur, and went directly to this collection. These Adler's are really not that rare, there must be atleast 15 survivors in India. Adler had a full fledged agent with a network in India, but as they did not manufacture cars after the war spares availability became a problem. And so many cars were scrapped. This car had no Mumbai connection.

The Skoda probably was lying in Mumbai in Sion, went to Pune, on to Bangalore where she was restored and then to this collection. There are similar cars in Lucknow and Chennai.

The Opel was a German car, after the war the Russians carried all the tooling of this model to Russia and introduced the Moskvitch. The toolings were considered as war damage collateral. Why the Americans, who owned Opel through General Motors did not protest I do not know.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd April 2010 at 11:38.
Old 24th April 2010, 15:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
1. They do not allow you to take photos because they sell pictures as part as their revenue streams. Secondly they do not want people to use these pictures for commercial gain at the cost of the museum.
2. Select people get access as long that the Museum Authorities can establish the purpose of the adventure and satisfy themselves that there is no commecial gain. Secondly we have interacted with the Museum authorities in various capacities over the last 15-20 years, hence there is an element of trust.
3. Lastly see the entry fees in India. Abroad the entry fees is very high, they do not need to sell photographs. If you increase entry fees to the standards in US, people will not be able to afford.

Cheers
Sorry to say so KPS but what you say is actually not true in this case.

The reason is plain and simple that they want to make money from the sale of their own pictures adn that is all.

FYI in other countries thre are many many museums that have no fee at all to enter to to take pics.

The Nethercutt Collection in California is a cas in point. One can spend days in there with whatever camera equipment one would like to bring along and take however many pictures one would want.

The Nethercutt collection also sells abook on the location with detailed pics and history on the exhibits. You can still walk in free, take as many pictures you like for free and then say goodbye and walk out without buying their book. It is OK with them and so is the case at many other major car museums.

The point is that in India they are able to get away with their rules as it is a "take it or leave it" situation. In the west prospective tourists would stop going to a particular museum if the rates are high . They thus have to stay reasonable and user friendly to be able to exist which is not the case here.
Old 24th April 2010, 16:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for sharing the info with us , great thread too.
Old 25th April 2010, 09:44   #29
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

21. 1937 Buick Special ( 8 Cyl., 4.1 Litre, DL4C B 9271)

This is the Maharaja of Purnea (Bihar) former car. Came from Delhi to Bangalore to Dharmasthala. It is a seven seater and sports a 8 cyl., 4.1 litre engine. The pilot light in the front is fantastic and is in excellent condition, turns well with the steering. Note the rare yellow filter.

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-37-buick.jpg

22.1938 Lincoln Zephyr ( V12 Cly., 4.4 Litre, GCB 4324)

This model was in production from 1936 to 1942. As per Wikipedia, the Lincoln Zephyr was powered by a small 75 degree V 12 engine developed from Ford's flathead V8. Buts its V8 roots caused tremendous heating problems and could be cured only in 1942 with the introduction of iron heads. Not many such cars survive in India

The Front
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-38-lin1.jpg

The V12 Motor
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-38-lin2.jpg

Dash
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-38-lin3.jpg

Rear
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-38-lin4.jpg

23. 1941 YAZ ( 4 Cyl., CRQ 9230)

Not much details are available on the Russin built military vehicle
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-41-yaz.jpg

24. 1943 Ford Jeep

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-43-jeep.jpg

25. 1946 De Soto Sedan(6 Cyl., 28 HP, MEV 9131)

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-46-desoto.jpg

26. 1946 Packard Super Clipper (8 Cyl., 49 HP, MYC 350)

This car was used by His Holiness Shri Abhinava Vidya Theertha Swamiji of the Sringeri Shardha Peetha and was donated to the museum in the year 1989. This car was very closedly linked to religion as the Swamiji in his travels would carry gods diety in the car in a specially created cavity in the rear right seat as the Swami would sit in the rear left. The story goes that before the car was donated to the museum, so one had bought this car but he encountered a lot of misfortune and he returned the car to the Peetha who in turn donated the car to the museum in 1989.

Note the flowers on the bonnet. Even today the museum mechanic does pooja to this car and the special cavity in the rear seat. It is believed that Dharmasthala can be the only resting place for this car.

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-46-pack1.jpg
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-46-pack2.jpg

The special holy cavity
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-46-pack3.jpg

27. 1947 Buick Super (8 Cyl., 35 HP, MER 777)

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-47-buick.jpg

28. 1947 Studebaker Champion ( 6 Cyl., MYB 7066)

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-47-stude.jpg

More to follow

Cheers

KPS
Old 26th April 2010, 02:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Great collection of vintage cars that Dr.Veerendra Heggade has.

I was a student in one of his colleges, SDM College of Engg and Tech, Dharwad. Talking about his cars, one of his cars was displayed at my college. Here are the pics.
Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc01959.jpg

Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala-dsc01961.jpg

Forgive me for the pic quality. I was a student then and didn't have a nice camera.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks